Mixed Use Spirit Square and Main Library Redevelopment

dubone

11 minutes ago, TheOneRJ said:

Anyone know the heights of the towers?

I think it was mentioned that the buildings in the rendering are not final designs, however, assuming they are somewhat close to actual build-out I crunched some numbers and came up with these rough estimates:

Main office building - 450-475 ft
Residential - 385-425 ft (most likely on the lower end of that)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

All the talk from city leaders about not building excess parking garages and here we have almost a whole block along 7th street dedicated to just cars. I would possibly look at this in a more positive light if housing was built on top of the garage or if the street level was shops, but I just can't help but be disappointed by another larger part of uptown dedicated to just parking. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Nathan2 said:

All the talk from city leaders about not building excess parking garages and here we have almost a whole block along 7th street dedicated to just cars. I would possibly look at this in a more positive light if housing was built on top of the garage or if the street level was shops, but I just can't help but be disappointed by another larger part of uptown dedicated to just parking. 

Judging by this rendering 7th street will be lined with shops and there is apartments above it at the corner of 7th and tryon.

Rendering of Seventh and Tryon in Uptown (courtesy of Metropolitan Partnership)

• Like 3

2 hours ago, B Randy said:

7th will be a retail street.  Both sides.  Nearly continuous.  Hoping for a narrower version of Larimer Street in Denver.  Look it up.  Awesome place.

If block between College and Blue Line follows suit as it turns over (remember Levine is going to redevelop to some capacity), it'll be a very nice stretch from First Ward Park to Tryon. 

Denver's Larimer Street has a ton of historic building stock making up the streetscape.  I wonder if Spirit Square developers will do anything to make pedestrian observation and experience especially unique and rich  along 7th street as part of this development (not discussing the Hall House corner here).  

This was a slightly earlier site plan. The space between the library and the Truist Tech Center is getting reworked, but all of 7th is retail (on both sides). Here’s hoping they’ll take some of that lobby space and make it something more active. 

9E337EBC-FA56-4405-A882-7248ED2A5BB8.jpeg

• Like 3

3 hours ago, CLT> said:

This was a slightly earlier site plan. The space between the library and the Truist Tech Center is getting reworked, but all of 7th is retail (on both sides). Here’s hoping they’ll take some of that lobby space and make it something more active. 

9E337EBC-FA56-4405-A882-7248ED2A5BB8.jpeg

From that drawing - the biggest issue I see is not the lobby - it’s the “Black Box” theatre as a prominent element on the plaza. If that is just a couple of blank walls sitting on the plaza - what do you do with that?

Seems like a huge activity suck and missed opportunity considering the funding the County is putting into the reno anyway...

• Like 1

4 hours ago, tozmervo said:

Tons of opportunities with those walls. Could be green/vegetated walls, movie screens, rotating murals, cast sculpture, etc. Since it fronts onto pedestrian plaza space, a lot more options than the usual blank walls we're dealing with.

edit: it's a black box theater. make one of the walls operable so performances can be viewed from inside or outside.

Great concept re: operable wall and indoor/outdoor but the county was presented that option and voted it down due to added cost.  Approved funding for reno of guts but nothing interactive w plaza...

• Thanks 1

• 4 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
8 minutes ago, RANYC said:

Where does this project stand?  A July 2020 Bizjournals article reported that a final development agreement with Metropolitan Partnership was to go before Council by year-end 2020.  Did that happen?  If not, I'm sure the 2024 deadline is more mirage.  

metropolitanpartnership   mentions Charlotte project on their home page. 

from their website they talk about the office building, 11 story hotel and 30 story residential tower for which I heard they have a developer already that will do that.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• 5 weeks later...