Mixed Use Spirit Square and Main Library Redevelopment

dubone

2 hours ago, tozmervo said:

Get excited, and pour one out for the library!

image.png.f4e28a7a133df588f17da5575f96c88c.png

Good grief, 48 months...4 years...for a 5-story bldg?  Not getting any younger people.  Does anyone share my view that maybe the county could have used this financial capacity for a vastly modernized and enhanced Uptown Discovery Place instead?

• Like 2

7 hours ago, tarhoosier said:

While thinking of the dramatic architecture proposed for the new library building I recall the city of Columbus, Indiana. I grew up in Indianapolis, about 50 miles from Columbus. As a family day trip we visited quite some time ago (ahem). The Cummins Diesel company is the major industry in town and was founded there. The family is a benefactor of the city by paying the architect fee and subsidizing construction of remarkable buildings for a city of any size, especially for one of 35,000-45,000 people, If you are anywhere in the area of Cincinnati, Columbus, Ohio, Indianapolis, Louisville it is worth a visit. Consider this built environment for a city similar in population to Hickory or Mooresville.

https://columbus.in.us/guide-to-the-architecture/

Man, that's a comprehensive list of basically EVERY major architect from the 70s/80s.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
3 hours ago, tarhoosier said:

The small park at the library corner with fountain is Arequipa Park for our sister city in Peru. Known as The White City. Our first such relationship.

https://www.charlottemagazine.com/world-tour-charlottes-sister-cities/

That’s interesting.  Thanks.  I like that waterfall and hope that there’s something similar in the new building.  That curved area looks like a waterfall to me.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, SydneyCarton said:

This looks amazing.

I wonder if this curved area is supposed to be a waterfall, kind of like a larger version  of what’s currently by the library.

The mere fact that you have to ask a question like that is everything that is wrong with contemporary architecture :tw_joy:

• Like 1

On 11/21/2021 at 11:01 AM, queensguy06 said:

I believe I've only seen one of these renderings of the library.  I'm assuming the closure in October was to begin removing and storing the contents of the current library, which I'd imagine will take 6 months?  Possible groundbreaking/demo Q2 next year?  The architect's website has a spring 2021 start with completion mid-2024 which obviously didn't happen:

https://www.clarknexsen.com/project/charlotte-mecklenburg-new-main-library/

Charlotte-Mecklenburg-new-Main-Library_view-3.jpg

Charlotte-Mecklenburg-new-Main-Library_View-2-web.jpg

Charlotte-Mecklenburg-new-Main-Library_View-5-web.jpg

Charlotte-Mecklenburg-new-Main-Library_View-4-web.jpg

Charlotte-Mecklenburg-new-Main-Library_View-1-web.jpg

I'm so old.  I remember when the current library was built and when it opened it was such a big deal -- state of the art.  I was so excited to go visit that big modern, snazzy facility.  And now it's obsolete and has to disappear.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, JacksonH said:

I'm so old.  I remember when the current library was built and when it opened it was such a big deal -- state of the art.  I was so excited to go visit that big modern, snazzy facility.  And now it's obsolete and has to disappear.

I know not popular, but I just wish the existing library building were getting renovated and modernized.  It's actually not that bad in my opinion.  Sort of looks historic.  Wish the new structure were taking up some surface lot somewhere else in the North Tryon area of Uptown.

• Like 4

6 hours ago, RANYC said:

I know not popular, but I just wish the existing library building were getting renovated and modernized.  It's actually not that bad in my opinion.  Sort of looks historic.  Wish the new structure were taking up some surface lot somewhere else in the North Tryon area of Uptown.

Have to disagree.  Existing library footprint is too large  (deep) to create the "hub of activity" they're striving for.  A full gut would also be extremely expensive and still not ideal in my opinion.  Layout not great to get natural light penetrating to that lower level and all facades would need complete remakes to create transparency and inside/out "interactivity".  

Also think going denser on this block and filling it in completely will be a long term benefit when development jumps to 8th and north of this site.  

Do think that their program is a bit over the top and the price tag could have been lower though...