1500 Monticello Ave

vdogg

HRT/Developer partner on project

The retail component of 58,000 square feet at ground level, most of it facing Monticello Avenue, will be available for shops, restaurants and possibly a grocery store.

Plans also call for 121 parking spaces underneath the building, mainly for shoppers.

On top will be seven residential towers, separated by an atrium. Visitors and tenants will enter the atrium via a glass bridge that connects with a garage with 1,000 parking spaces. The atrium will be landscaped with ornamental trees, trellises and gazebos.

“This will be the main attraction, and it is anticipated that it will be heavily used by the tenants and their visitors,” according to a design narrative by RRMM Architects of Norfolk. “Amenities like this are rare in urban multifamily developments in Norfolk, and it should be a good incentive to attract potential tenants.”

Each residential tower will be four stories high and will have 210 apartments for rent – 75 percent will be two-bedroom units; 15 percent, one-bedroom units; and 10 percent, three-bedroom units.

This will be a very substantial development on this end of Monticello.

I'm more than a bit skeptical, Bristol was supposed to be a catalyst down Monticello, something that certainly hasn't come close to panning out. What would be the need for a parking garage with 1000 spaces, or the benefit of adding an additional 210 apartments (on top of the rentals in Bristol, 201 at 21) in an area lacking in necessities? I dunno, while i'm all for development, this seems to be building in the wrong area. Why not partner with a developer for a mixed use development at the Kirn library site? Just seems to be barking up the wrong tree...

I'm more than a bit skeptical, Bristol was supposed to be a catalyst down Monticello, something that certainly hasn't come close to panning out. What would be the need for a parking garage with 1000 spaces, or the benefit of adding an additional 210 apartments (on top of the rentals in Bristol, 201 at 21) in an area lacking in necessities? I dunno, while i'm all for development, this seems to be building in the wrong area. Why not partner with a developer for a mixed use development at the Kirn library site? Just seems to be barking up the wrong tree...

Well considering how spread out we are here, this area of Monticello is not far from Colley/Princess Anne/21st Street corridors. Maybe not a nice walk at night but that is why they need a 1000 space garage. No one walks in Hampton Roads silly! Maybe with all these extra apartments (rather than extra EMPTY condos), they will have a need for more shops on 21st/22nd. They have plenty of room to expand.

As for the library site, they are probably hoping to either keep that for themselves or develop it into something more commercial (and at a higher profit).

• 2 months later...
  • 8 months later...

84-1.jpg

84-3.jpg

84-4.jpg

It would appear that phase I is what's under construction now and they are clearing land for phase II

http://www.concordeastridge.com/projects/project.php?id=84

Hampton Road Transit (Phase II) Administrative Building & Mixed-Use Development

The mixed-use development site, located along Monticello Avenue between East 14th and 17th Streets. It includes Hampton Roads Transit Authority

So it looks like they're going to build the new building flush with the sidewalk, which when combined with phase II, should create a nice walkable area. With the apartment buildings directly across the street, this area will really have a dense urban feel to it. Looks, like they may have ditched the apartments from their plan though, which isn't surprising in this economy. (That is unless there is a phase III that they just haven't put up yet).

So it looks like they're going to build the new building flush with the sidewalk, which when combined with phase II, should create a nice walkable area. With the apartment buildings directly across the street, this area will really have a dense urban feel to it. Looks, like they may have ditched the apartments from their plan though, which isn't surprising in this economy. (That is unless there is a phase III that they just haven't put up yet).

I think you're confusing several different components. The maintenance building is not the same as the administration building which will be built along with the apartments in Phase II. The maintenance building will be on the property across the street from the proposed phase II complex. If you look at the aerial view on google or something you see the wedge shaped property across the street that this facility will be going on. The administration will be built on the property between 16th and 17th street. The apartments will be built on the property between 14th and 16th, then directly across the street (Armistead) is the lot where the maintenance facility will be built. It is bounded by armistead, 18th street and church street. Pretty much where there maintenance facility is now, with the addition of some property I believe.

Edited by urbanfan

I think you're confusing several different components. The maintenance building is not the same as the administration building which will be built along with the apartments in Phase II. The maintenance building will be on the property across the street from the proposed phase II complex. If you look at the aerial view on google or something you see the wedge shaped property across the street that this facility will be going on. The administration will be built on the property between 16th and 17th street. The apartments will be built on the property between 14th and 16th, then directly across the street (Armistead) is the lot where the maintenance facility will be built. It is bounded by armistead, 18th street and church street. Pretty much where there maintenance facility is now, with the addition of some property I believe.

I just hope nothing is happening to Charlie's diner!

• 1 month later...

Looks like phase I is going to get started in October as a result of the stimulus money.

http://hamptonroads.com/2009/04/stimulus-m...rt-headquarters

The article said phase I and II will be starting. The schedule originally was to seperate the two phases, but because of the federal stimulus money they have combined the two. The maintenance facility complete with parking garage and bus bays will be built along with the headquarters facility originally slated for Phase II.

This is the one funded with Obama money right? I can't help but wonder if they are beefing up public transportation in preparation for massive declines in living standards, which will force more into poverty. Then they will have to ride the bus.

Why all the gloom and doom?

This is the one funded with Obama money right? I can't help but wonder if they are beefing up public transportation in preparation for massive declines in living standards, which will force more into poverty. Then they will have to ride the bus.

I can't say I agree with that, they may be beefin up in preperation for peak oil, which may send gas prices soaring! That being said, with busses nearly filled it wouldn't matter that gas prices are so high, it would still be cost effective given the new high ridership. This assumption are lofty I know...sorry.

You're kidding right? I would comment on this but that would only lead to a wildly off-topic discussion. Lets try to keep the discussion focused on HRT please.

• 7 months later...

In another two years, the regional transportation authority will have a contemporary complex on 11 acres on 18th Street in Norfolk. The whole project will cost $69 million, most of it financed by federal and state funds, including grants, and some local funding.

In addition, $14 million will come as a result of the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act.

HRT is developing the three-building complex connected by pedestrian bridges with Concorde Eastridge, a Northern Virginia developer, under the Public-Private Education and Infrastructure Act, known as PPEA. The law permits government, or government agencies like HRT, to partner with private developers.

But the plans won’t include a retail component of 58,000 square feet at ground level, most of it facing Monticello Avenue between 14th and 15th streets, as originally proposed.

Nor will they include seven residential towers, four stories high, for a total of 210 apartments, which were part of the original plans.

Pappas said the long-term plan is to have a complex like the one across from it on Monticello, a mix of condominiums, apartments and parking garages, developed by Bristol Development.

For now, the mixed use component is on hold, due to tight credit and soft demand for this type of urban product.

http://hamptonroads....ew-home-norfolk

Edited by ronsmytheiii