vdogg

1500 Monticello Ave

maybe its best that the retail/residential component is not being built, I mean who would want to live/shop above a bunch of buses? Maybe if they were electric instead of diesel!!!!!!! Also Monticello isn't the most pedestrian friendly, I'm afraid the only way retail would work there is to have a nice big surface lot. So for now I'm happy with a huge centralized HRT with 3 pedestrian bridges. I wonder if any of these bridges will cross Monticello? I really can't wait to be in 2012, everything in HR will be so much better!

Another one bites the dust eh? I can't wait for this economy to finally turn around. It has been a bad year for development in this area.

I wouldn't say bites the dust, I would imagine especially in that area that retail will be eventually warranted, after all the Painted Lady and Doumar's are in that area. As for the apartments, well that probably got the axe.

Looks like this is Finally moving forward.

http://hamptonroads.com/2014/04/residential-retail-planned-former-hrt-headquarters

HRT submitted paperwork to the Planning Commission with a proposal for a five-story building that would include multifamily residential units. The proposal includes town houses, parking and retail space.

Here is a link to some very rough renderings of the project. Nothing spectacular yet, but should give you a sense of the direction they're heading until more polished drafts come out.

Where's the link? I am more blind than i thought?

I, ummm....don't know. I know I put it in there. I'll have to find it again, weird.

This is a very rough rendering that was included with the design review packet. Not much, but at least it gives you and idea as to what it looks like.

post-769-0-61592100-1401665605_thumb.jpg

I wasn't expecting much, but that rendering is just so BLAH. So Norfolk, and I don't mean that in a good way.

I wasn't expecting much, but that rendering is just so BLAH. So Norfolk, and I don't mean that in a good way.

The use of cheap materials really hurts a lot of projects in Norfolk, but at least we're replacing a large suburban office building and street parking. 

That's the only thing that really excites me about this project. That whole area is really starting to feel like an extension of downtown along Monticello rather than it's own separate entity. This project will help with that feeling and density. Now, if we could just clear out St. Pauls...

• Like 1

9 hours ago, BFG said:

Demolition of the old HRT terminal on Monticello is underway...

20160510_161024.jpg

Wasn't that supposed to become some sort of apartment complex? Is that still the plan? I haven't heard anything about this project for a while.

I think we already have a thread for that project too. Don't be surprised to see your posts move. Guess I have ever to pin it and make it a progress thread as well. You'd think they would've posted more polished renderings by now though. <_<

His other designs look pretty nice. Hopefully the city doesn't go cheap when it comes time to build.

Edited by BFG

23 minutes ago, BFG said:

His other designs look pretty nice. Hopefully the city doesn't go cheap when it comes time to build.

Is it a private investment? If so the city doesn't determine how much is spent on it; of course  I suppose they can have an effect through design review.