comics shop looking for eastside/downtown location

harvey

I will be opening a comics shop in Spartanburg on the east side or downtown. It will cater to more than the superhero crowd and also include games (card and board) with in-store play. I am researching locations with the plan being to purchase the building instead of leasing. There are several buildings for sale on E. Main (Children's Consignment block of stores next to Converse), but parking appears to be an issue. I have enjoyed reading through the posts on this forum and thought I would ask if anyone has any location ideas. I would prefer something downtown, but so far the best location I've found has been the old flag shop near Oops! I need at least 1600 sq. ft. Thanks for reading.

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi harvey, just so you and others are aware, we have a fairly strict rule about real estate here on UrbanPlanet. This topic is OK, but we can't let it get into specific realtors or specific prices. For example, when we talk about residential real estate, we keep it to "what neighborhoods are best for ___ " or things like that. So commercial real estate will be treated the same.

----

Now, I would think there are plenty of locations out there for this type of thing. I originally would have suggested Specialty Row, but they appear to have ridiculous rents these days so thats becoming out of the question for anything except national big box chains.

I think you're thinking about the right locations. What about some of those shops along Fernwood-Glendale across from Specialty Row?

IMO you should avoid Converse Plaza itself, since they lack a major tenant and they will probably have to renovate the whole thing before they bring that place back to life. Shops in the vicinity of that would probably be safe.

There is a great building of 1600 square feet that is for sale near the Mellow Mushroom. If you go toward Hilcrest from the MM it is in the middle of the row of buildings to the left before St. John ties back in at Converse College. I would think this would be a great location and the price isn't too bad for that location.

I will be opening a comics shop in Spartanburg on the east side or downtown. It will cater to more than the superhero crowd and also include games (card and board) with in-store play. I am researching locations with the plan being to purchase the building instead of leasing. There are several buildings for sale on E. Main (Children's Consignment block of stores next to Converse), but parking appears to be an issue. I have enjoyed reading through the posts on this forum and thought I would ask if anyone has any location ideas. I would prefer something downtown, but so far the best location I've found has been the old flag shop near Oops! I need at least 1600 sq. ft. Thanks for reading.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived