Lurking?

New Name

Lurking?  

44 members have voted

1. 1. How long did you sit back and read UP before you actually joined and started posting?

• I joined right away!
    • A week or two
    • A month or two
    • Many months, maybe a year even...

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I lurked for quite a while, probably close to a year. I had moved to Nashville and just wanted to keep up with what was going on in my home for 19 years. I liked reading everyones comments and opinions. And of course the photos. I can't get enough of those. I don't remember what subject came up that actually made me want to post. I still don't post much. But I have to say, this sight has held my interest and I lurk about almost everyday.

• 3 weeks later...

took me about 3 months to join UP. Still intimidated to post in certain forums because people are very close minded or at least very liberal in their ideas to embrace others. I have been on for almost 2 years now too and still feel that way. Always good stuff to read though.

took me about 3 months to join UP. Still intimidated to post in certain forums because people are very close minded or at least very liberal in their ideas to embrace others. I have been on for almost 2 years now too and still feel that way. Always good stuff to read though.

I actually rather enjoy the arguments debates. Either watching or participating.

On the internet it can be more difficult because, if you aren't careful, people will read tone into someone's comment. What may have been posed as a perfectly innocent or casual question could be read as a violent diatribe.

In any event I joined pretty much immediately. This kind of stuff is right up my alley (or, in Charlotte's case, a lack of alley's...)

Same here. I find that people on this site frequently like to start arguments or tell you how wrong your posts are, so I've almost completely given up on posting. But, this is a good place to gather information and stay on-top of what's happening in Charlotte.

On the internet it can be more difficult because, if you aren't careful, people will read tone into someone's comment. What may have been posed as a perfectly innocent or casual question could be read as a violent diatribe.

You've described in a simple manner how things can be taken the wrong way from both members and staff here. Unfortunately we get so much actual violent diatribe behind the scenes via PM, e-mail, etc. we tend to lean in that direction when something similar is expressed in the forums. Likewise sometimes staff members are simply looked upon as just expressing violent diatribe even if that's not what we're trying to do. It is hard to balance but we do our best.

I can assure everyone though that we're very open to new ideas, discussions, etc. but keep in mind you may just have to try a little to prove your case. That's certainly not a bad thing and tends to bring out the best of all of us in the end and can strengthen the pros or cons to a particular discussion for example. Obey the rules and no one gets hurt. :tough:

If you have a question you can always PM a staff member and we'll be happy to speak with you about it. :)

Archived