Leavin, on a jet plane...don't know when i'll be back again

jencoleslaw

Dear Peoples: As some of you know I am departing this Rogues Island in a scant 10 days. I would like to bring some RI things with me (excluding palm grease, a briefcase full of bribery and graft, spaghetti sauce, car-swallowing potholes, cement shoes etc) and am hoping you can come up with a few good suggestions for me. I got to thinking about this because I'm meeting someone very famous (in my circles) in April and I'd like to bring him something cool and RI-y and the list i've started is:

RISD T shirt or sweatshirt

Giant Pawsox Paw

something from the zoo? That anteater is so awesome--i wonder if there's any anteater swag...

So you can see my list needs some work.

Please advise.

Jencoleslaw

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

if you get RISD stuff, get a RISD nads shirt. if you don't want to be all providence, you could get some URI stuff.

how about a big tub of del's powder? i know that's what i'd get (probably several) to help my frozen lemonade addiction.

i know you said no sauce, but mayor's own isn't terribly bad and it's pretty amusing (and definitely RI).

I do not know you or anything about what you are doing, but from my 2 years living in the Ocean state I recall much adoo made about Jimmy logs

is it newport creamery? nasty stuff to me, but my friends led me to belive they were some kind of institution. This led me to also discover the strange language you guys speak. Jimmies and shots?? what ever happened to sprinkles? drink from a bubbler, eat a cabinet. crazyness. I do miss Pt. Judith and the 2 mile streak past the bars to get to the beach.

I learned a lot at college cant ya tell?

In all seriousness, though, the Jimmie Log, Coffee Milk, and Dell's Lemonade are the most RI things I can think of.

I do not know you or anything about what you are doing, but from my 2 years living in the Ocean state I recall much adoo made about Jimmy logs

is it newport creamery? nasty stuff to me, but my friends led me to belive they were some kind of institution. This led me to also discover the strange language you guys speak. Jimmies and shots?? what ever happened to sprinkles? drink from a bubbler, eat a cabinet. crazyness. I do miss Pt. Judith and the 2 mile streak past the bars to get to the beach.

I learned a lot at college cant ya tell?

In all seriousness, though, the Jimmie Log, Coffee Milk, and Dell's Lemonade are the most RI things I can think of.

shots aren't a RI thing. i used to call them shots when i was young and i, along with my parents and grandparents, grew up in CT (new haven area). jimmies i heard of long before i knew anyone from RI. there were places in southern CT that called them that. there were rainbow sprinkles and jimmies (it's kind of a derogatory reason for calling the chocolate ones jimmies).

what's a jimmie log?

from Answers.com (which references wikipedia)

A commentary in 1986 on National Public Radio by the late Boston poet John Ciardi claimed: "From the time I was able to run to the local ice cream store clutching my first nickel, which must have been around 1922, no ice cream cone was worth having unless it was liberally sprinkled with jimmies."[1]

In the 1930s, the Just Born candy company of Bethlehem, Pennsylvania, produced a topping called chocolate grains. The man who ran the machine that made these chocolate grains was named Jimmy Bartholomew. "Thus, his product became known as jimmies," said Ross Born, the chief executive officer.[1] He was told this story by his grandfather and company founder, Sam Born. Just Born registered jimmies as its trademark, and continued producing jimmies until the mid-1960s - which is why the name was so popular there.

Even today, popular thought is that jimmies originated as a derogatory term for black sprinkles, as young black men were described as "jimmies" in the United States around the time of the Civil War. Though this has been proven to be an untrue origin, many people are resorting to the more neutral term "decoratives" to describe chocolate sprinkles.

Archived