The Brownstones

dinner roll

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks for the update dinner roll :thumbsup: I believe the Planning Commission approved the Brownstones last month(or two?). So it's sounds like they are probably ready to roll. Maybe a grocery/drug store will be one of the componets too. The more residents downtown, the better. Downtown is not just for commerce anymore like some think.

• 1 month later...

There's a delay, but not a setback?? :huh: a new look??

Brownstones project delayed over cost concerns

Plans to build The Brownstones, a 70-unit downtown apartment building at Laurel and Fifth streets, are being reworked because of cost concerns. Commercial Properties Development Corp., the Baton Rouge Area Foundation's real estate development division, still expects to build housing on the site, but the details won't be known for several months, says Mukul Verma, the foundation's spokesman. "Both the construction and financing part of that project got so expensive, because of what's going on," Verma says. "We're trying to make things more affordable." Commercial Properties had planned to open The Brownstones by the end of 2009, but Verma says the new timetable hasn't been determined.

Demolition of the New Richmond Place apartments, located on the site, is continuing. Commercial Properties has been attempting to redevelop the site for a few years now; at one point there were plans for a mixed-use office/retail/parking building on the site. Verma says the latest delay isn't a setback. "We continue to be on track for this. It will just have a new look," he says. Commercial Properties' two other downtown developments, the One Eleven apartment complex and the Stroube's Chop House restaurant are both set to open within the next nine months or so.--Timothy Boone

http://www.businessreport.com/archives/daily-report/latest/

While I love the idea of residential downtown, I really never liked the idea of the Brownstones. Personally, I hate the way it looks. So I hope in their reworking of the project, that they choose a better design, something more modern hopefully. But I find that doubtful, im sure they will build a cheeper looking version of the brownstones. Either way, let us hope this is only a minor set back.

While I love the idea of residential downtown, I really never liked the idea of the Brownstones. Personally, I hate the way it looks. So I hope in their reworking of the project, that they choose a better design, something more modern hopefully. But I find that doubtful, im sure they will build a cheeper looking version of the brownstones. Either way, let us hope this is only a minor set back.

Let me jump on the bandwagon. I never liked the idea either. It was such a dissapointment after the Laurel Tower project failed. I still think this is a more appropriate location for office/commercial development. To me, residential would be more appropriate for the downtown fringes. The cbd should be more office oriented. Of course a Riverplace condo type developments would fit in nicely.

Looks like we all pretty much agree here. The Brownstones would seem to be a better fit on the edge of downtown; with the above mentioned as well as North Blvd. anywhere from Sixth Street to the other side of I-110 between the R.R. overpass. Also on the east edge of Capitol Park on the western fringes of Spanish Town.

Like yall said a high-rise would be great at the Laurel location; and really be no less than 7 or 8 floors, and of course more modern. A mixed-use would probably be best served with condo's on top.

Like Drew, I too was disapointed to see the Laurel Tower plans not come to pass.

I think we may see additional brownstones along the Nicholson corridor between downtown and LSU in the future where all those tracts were recently purchased.

• 2 weeks later...
Thanks for those pics LT! Nice view :shades:

Since we all seem to agree the Brownstones would work better along the edges of downtown instead; might something like this work better at this location?? With a grocery store at street level.

poinsetta2jv3.jpg

I really like that design you suggested richy. Something tells me though, that the reason the project is being held up, is because of cost. So, I'm making the assumption that what ever the new rendering, or even a revision of the current design is, its just going to get worse, and not any better looking.

Thanks! I figured a modern mid-rise like this might complement the Main Street Market/parking garage at the next block.

Unfortunately have to agree with you there Buckett. Maybe the Brownstones not working out at this site is a blessing in disquise?? I could only hope something nice like a mixed-use (parking/grocery/office/condo) be located there instead.

Camm Morton's orginal plan Laurel Tower, with the tall 10-story parking garage, office, condo could have been scaled down, maybe 1/2 the parking?? Then add a few floors for offices and even a few more for condo's.

• 2 weeks later...
I really like that design you suggested richy. Something tells me though, that the reason the project is being held up, is because of cost. So, I'm making the assumption that what ever the new rendering, or even a revision of the current design is, its just going to get worse, and not any better looking.

• 3 months later...

Still no word on the revamped plans for the Brownstones??? It's a shame; these nice residential projects seem to be about 5 years too late on the drawing-boards with the credit crunch! Eventhough BR is still holding it's own in 96th place out of 100 Metro's on the forelosure rates. So I still hope for the best.

Here is another proposal on my wish list; if not at this location; maybe something on the fringes of downtown along the Nicholson corridor or maybe North Blvd. between I-110 and the R.R. Overpass?? Bring some residential density to the core! 25-units at the Kress and a few more at One Eleven is a start; but something like this is needed!

buildinghomena5.jpg

something...anything needs to be done downtown. There are 0 choices in the area for new housing for rent or sale.

Sure, a few units here and there on top of a retail center or diner helps, but those are sold before they even get built. The market is very tight.

Archived