Butcher, Baker, and Fish

Sailor

I hope no one minds...I've been reading the restaurant review thread with great interest and had an Ah Ha! moment when I saw the mention of a favorite butcher. I, for one, would love to be able to come back and reference a list of local specialty markets, hence this thread. :blush:

Do you have a favorite butcher? Baker? Fishmonger?

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Lewandoski's Market on Walker St. is excellent for kielbasa and kracki (kielbasa loaf). Franks is also great and we've been there a number of times. My wife is Polish and we head to Cheboygan every Christmas (where she's from) and always bring 3 - 5 lbs of kielbasa up, but lately we've been visiting Lewandoski's. Be sure to get the horse radish as well.

Lewandoski's Market on Walker St. is excellent for kielbasa and kracki (kielbasa loaf). Franks is also great and we've been there a number of times. My wife is Polish and we head to Cheboygan every Christmas (where she's from) and always bring 3 - 5 lbs of kielbasa up, but lately we've been visiting Lewandoski's. Be sure to get the horse radish as well.

Kingma's is the only place in this area (that I've found) that has long bone sirloins. Treat yourself sometime and get one, they are so very yummy. Van Ball's on Plainfield is my meat market of choice. They are pricey but well worth it in terms of taste and quality.

20th Century Meat Market used to be better when I was a kid. Their kielbasa doesn't taste the same anymore.

Can't beat American Bread for a good rye loaf.

Locally, I love Kingma's also. The butchers are excellent.

But if you want THE GREATEST PLACE....Ensley Center in Newaygo County off of Cypress there is a place called Birds Market. The beef is wonderful. Sirloin steaks are $3.89, ground round is 1.79, ground sirloin is $1.89, boneless skinless breasts are 1.89. The butchers are awesome.

Archived