Buildings you would like to see renovated

Matthew.Brendan

I guess depending on the scope of the project it's easier to just doze it all and rebuild rather than bringing older structures up to code, but here are 2 buildings that have caught my eye driving around and my own fantasy lives for them:

First off, on the corner of Mint & 4th: A great super-club NYC style. The prissy upscale clubs Uptown are fine for what they are, but clear out this old Paper Company warehouse and you have a great gritty-industrial club space. Plenty of onsite parking too.

IMG_3298Medium.jpg

IMG_3293Medium.jpg

Next up on the corner of Brevard & 7th is a fine old building with nice styling. Last business per the sign on the doors was a pair of Bondsmen. I'd love to turn it into a proper Coffee House. Two levels, very home-like where you could spend several hours reading, working, studying, and maybe even chatting with people! *gasp* Most importantly, it would be open later than 6 PM :rolleyes: Occasional live music perhaps, but definitely a very chilled out place in the evenings. Incorporate local artists too, as a place to display/sell art.

IMG_3311Medium.jpg

IMG_3310Medium.jpg

IMG_3308Medium.jpg

The back would definitely need some work :P , but not a bad view at all! :thumbsup:

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I believe the first building will be part of left field for the new home the Charlotte Knights should it ever get built. That building was initially scheduled to be renovated as the centerpiece of the third ward park before the third ward park was relocated to its current proposed location.

According to the Rezoning Petition for the baseball stadium, the Paper Co. building will indeed need to be demolished to make room for the baseball field. There is a future building shown flanking the outfield; the outfield of Durham Bulls Athletic Park is a great example of a minor league park with this configuration.

According to the Rezoning Petition for the baseball stadium, the Paper Co. building will indeed need to be demolished to make room for the baseball field. There is a future building shown flanking the outfield; the outfield of Durham Bulls Athletic Park is a great example of a minor league park with this configuration.

I always found it amusing how emphatic the county was on saving the Virginia Paper building when they were designing the park. They and Land Design went to great lengths to "brag" that it would be saved and at one point even considered moving the building on site ....now that Baseball has come along, the building was never given a second thought. Of course, I was told months in advance of the baseball announcement that the county was planning to put baseball on the site, even as they were hosting public charette's for the park, so perhaps it was a nice gesture to commit to something they knew they would never have fulfill.

The Treolar house, the 2nd building shown, is the oldest brick single-family residence in Uptown. It is owned by Daniel Levine, and its local historic status is the only thing keeping it from being part of his parking lot collection. Of course, keeping the windows unsealed, which is allowing a lot of moisture in there, is a good way to assure that it too will meet Mr. Bulldozer when it is "discovered" that the structure is unsalvagable.

For what it's worth, there was an idea put forth several years ago to use the Virginia Paper building as a farmer's market, which I would have wholeheartedly supported....in fact, if the county were so inclined, they could push the building up to 4th St. and still make it into a farmer's market, as well as the adjacent land not used for baseball, and get some activity going there....they won't, but its a nice idea.

Finally, I always thought the Treolar site would make a great spot for a private school in Uptown, because Uptown sure needs one. Preserve the existing house and wrap it on all sides with a parking/classroom structure that would have a roof-top recess area.....perfect spot for a much needed amenity.

I remember having those same thoughts at the Third Ward Park public meetings. The baseball stadium was certainly the elephant in the room that Land Design and Park and Rec weren't talking about. They also showed 3rd Street being closed through the park block, which was far from a done deal on the City side. Tensions were high since the City/County pissing match over where the put the arena was still fresh.

I know Spartan was joking, but you will see us reference Treloar a hundred times in the threads on Levine's plans for the area (he owns the Treloar). He had originally included in his plans and designs to move it diagonnally across the street and incorporate it as retail at the edge of the planned park there. That way, the old warehouse that Dixies occupies and the Treloar would be retail anchors for the park.

However, his latest images/plans created for his district omit those buildings blatantly, even though Levine still claims it is happening when he speaks to the neighborhood.

Sadly, he is very obviously using his same tactic of other old/historic buildings on his land, letting them sit fallow and wreck the weather sealing at various stages in order to speed up the disintegration. All this so he can eventually tear them down as 'unsaveable'. It is so transparent if you are paying any attention, but most people don't, and others simply don't care.

I'd rather it be a bail bondsman again. At least it would be an active purpose that might keep the windows fixed.

I would like the following saved and renovated:

- Carolina Theater has a plan in place to save it.

- The Second Ward Gym has a plan to save it.

- Treloar's owner claims he is saving it, but we don't believe him because he is a chronic liar.

- Hall House is almost certain to be demolished and the city's housing authority is making arrangements to eventually sell it.

- The Polk State building is already sold and Trinity plans to tear it down for a plaza on its project.

- The store fronts at Trade and Pine seem safe for now and are being discussed to become an ABC store for all the boozie Trademark owners.

- The House of Jazz building is to be rubble to make way for the park. While I agree that the public purpose is better served by the park than the old building, it is a shame that we have so few pre-Depression storefronts left that we have to mourn the last few torn down, even for good purposes.

- The old warehouses along the trolley line north of 8th. Those are also going to be rubble and Levine doesn't even pretend he's going to save them, like he does for Treloar.

Beyond that, everything else downtown is either long gone, or already renovated.

I think of all the buildings I'd like to see renovated, the Polk State building is at the top of my list. Its just a classy looking building, and it looks like it could be made into a very functional modern building. I refuse to believe that any building is beyond saving (if, of course, the right amount of money is put into it).

Archived