Best Grand Rapids Coffee Shop

GRCentro

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Personally, I'm not too picky about the coffee as long as it's not decaf (I drink it primarily for its medicinal qualities). So, it's a tie between The Stray Dog and Common Ground, each a favorite because of close location and good (but distinct) atmosphere. The Bitter End also deserves mention because it's open 24/7 -- essential for those late study nights.

My favorite is Kava House. Good atmosphere for getting some work done, especially when it's warm out. Don't get me wrong--I love me some Common Ground, Stray Dog, Bitter End, and Dillenbeck's. We do have some great coffee houses here, and I'm glad that there are a TON of options aside from Starbucks and Biggby's.

Coincidentally, I just found this late-night mini-memoir of the three local 24/7 coffee houses. I never even heard about Noshville before. I still wish there were more places open late, if even just until 1 or 2 am. 76 is intolerable for longer than 30 minutes and Bitter End is a drive from where I'm living right now.

http://www.grmagazine.com/features/02-08/02-08.htm

Didn't the bean-a-box close? I'm pretty sure there is the dreaded orange sticker on the window now.

Unfortunately, it used to be my favorite.

Kava House, Four Friends, and the bitter end, are all pretty good.

With most of the shops getting their beans from the same 2-3 wholesalers, you're not going to find a lot of variety in the taste. It comes down to execution, and for me, cleanliness of the shop.

I don't have anything to do withit except I live on the westside but Dillenbecks is my favorite since the new guy took over. Quiet, good coffee, The only negative is I like really soft chairs and his are wood. Dillenbeck's is not on your list and we really need to have all the coffee houses to be accurate.

Today Kava House was my favorite. I spent 2 very pleasant hours there chatting with a friend and sipping steamers.

Tomorrow evening I'll meet a friend at The Sparrows/Stray Dog, where I'll choose from the many fair trade teas, and it will be my favorite. It's great that they stay open late -- something that was missing in this neighborhood. (I am aware of 76, but it just isn't for me.) 2 1/2 years ago when I came here, I didn't have high speed internet at my place, so I took my iBook to Common Ground 4 or 5 evenings a week. It was my favorite.

I like it here. :wub:

• 4 weeks later...

Archived