Passenger Train Sighting in Antioch

nashscan

I nearly had an accident when I saw a train, about eight cars long that had about three passenger cars behind the two engines. It was going West near I-24 and Bell Rd. Behind the passenger cars were the strangest looking cars I have ever seen. They were solid black, open in places, and shrouded in smoke. I'm sorry that I wasn't able to capture a picture of those. Can anyone shed some light on what this train might have been?

l_c104f778fe2f3f20cab57e746873c402.jpg

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

sorry, i don't have any answers for you, but i do have a similar experience to share. About 3 weeks ago at the same intersection(in the Best Buy parking lot to be exact) i happened to see the Ringling Bros. (sp?) Circus train coming into town. WOW! that was quite a sight. I would say it was at least 30 or more passenger cars followed buy at least 20 flatbed equipment cars. Every car stainless steel with logo painted on the side. Complete with circus freaks hanging out the side waving! no joke.

However, good spot on the passenger cars. I wonder what they were doing? Could they be privately owned, hitching a ride?

edit:

If you want to see picks of the circus train, you can link here.

Definitely one of the coolest things i've seen.

The yellow cars in the picture look like Union Pacific cars; sometimes freight railroads run business trains (often consisting of their old passenger equipment from their pre-1971 passenger trains, plus other random cars they've acquired), but you said the cars were black?

Freight railroads also often allow private owners of individual railcars to run trains of their cars and other cars, but those cars usually aren't black unless they're heavyweight (pre-1930s) "Brunswick green" ones and look black.

Which freight railroad runs that line? That could be a clue.

When the circus was leaving town a few weeks ago... they had some type of passenger train cars parked over in the Gulch (near Velocity). It was an interesting and unexpected sight... I noticed police cars all over, blocking off Demonbreun and 11th... then next thing I know... there are elephants and other animals walking down the street, headed over to the train to be loaded back up. Totally caught me off guard ^_^

I didnt get a good look at what the cars looked like, since it was dark out.. but maybe this is a possibility?

The yellow cars in the picture look like Union Pacific cars; sometimes freight railroads run business trains (often consisting of their old passenger equipment from their pre-1971 passenger trains, plus other random cars they've acquired), but you said the cars were black?

Freight railroads also often allow private owners of individual railcars to run trains of their cars and other cars, but those cars usually aren't black unless they're heavyweight (pre-1930s) "Brunswick green" ones and look black.

Which freight railroad runs that line? That could be a clue.

Archived