Town Center Marketplace

vdogg

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So, I guess we lost this battle. This is the newest information availiable as of 2/18/08. They are already marketing the space. :(

Well looking on the bright side, it could be one large L-shaped building. At least it's broken up a bit :-\ Hmm, maybe there will be some good design at least or some GOOD tenants to make it worth while....

What is going on here..What ever happen to the Landing Project. That would have fit very well in town center. We have enough Strip malls. Strip malls are old fashioned. What we need is a modern shopping/retail district to blend in with Town center with elevated walkways and such like The Town Center of Virginia Beach.. I think armada hoffler should do the planning and architecture for project Shops at Town center..

What is going on here..What ever happen to the Landing Project. That would have fit very well in town center. We have enough Strip malls. Strip malls are old fashioned. What we need is a modern shopping/retail district to blend in with Town center with elevated walkways and such like The Town Center of Virginia Beach.. I think armada hoffler should do the planning and architecture for project Shops at Town center..

The Landing never included this piece of property. It is the old HQ and Gateway building as well as the Ham shop. As far as we all know, the Landing is still in the works...

Man, what a dissapointment. I was really hoping for something more. I wonder how much energy (if any) was put into attempting to build something more mixed use here. And speaking of strip centers, I have seen so many tiny parcels in the city being developed for those centers. Even single tiny piece of land seems to be destined to become a strip mall.

Like RJWGMU said, It's broken up. You can visualize, in the future, the construciton of a parking garage and highrise or 2 in between the three long buildings. I don't think all hope is lost. Since the Landing isn't moving forward right now (probably because it had such a big residential component), the owner of the Hannaford property isn't going to wait to see if he gets bought out. He'll build something on his property, but at least it isn't the one building concept he planned to build before.

Is it all retail, or is some of it offices (i.e. 2 or 3 story buildings)?

• 6 months later...
  • 4 months later...

So I hope this isn't already posted elsewhere, but I drove by the "Shops at TC" site area and there is a new poster up. I went online to research it a little and apparently it is called Town Center Marketplace, with Phase I beginning October 2009. An interesting strip mall look. Seems like Office Max will be rebuilt! Also, Buffalo Wild Wings.... which is nice! Maybe if nothing else we will see a Whole Foods Market soon!!!! I'll keep my fingers crosses!

This absolutely sucks. What a ......AHHHHH! Not only is it current "Kroger" area, Loop Net show that he apparently bought the whole City Walk property and in one fell swoop is destroying the downtown VB connectivity. So instead of a greater downtown, we now have Town Center and the burbs retail and a mall right next door.

http://www.loopnet.com/Attachments/8/B/5/8...0BF87333585.pdf

It'll be Landstown Commons, Jefferson Commons, or Greenbriar 'towncenter" all over again....Come Dude! Not here. Put that stuff somewhere else. Loopnet even touts that it is the busiest intersection in the city. So, rather than using that to the advantage of have more development, ie- urban, in that space, they decide on mediocre sprawl with what would be less development for a quicker buck. Nice!

That's horrible! I give up, I'm done with this crap. For a second I thought he might actually do the right thing when he bought the other property too. Is this guy doing this on purpose? He knows the city wants something urban there. I hope his financing falls through. What recourse do we have in this situation? The city better reject this crap. He has just single handedly killed downtown VB. What a selfish moron. :angry:

I mean would you look at that sea of parking?!?! We might as well put Walmart there and be done with it. Crap I'm in a bad mood now. I guess I'll just have to pin all my hopes on Norfolk now. Urban development in VB is going nowhere.

This really just sickens me. I mean how suburban can you get? There is absolutely no sense of place to this strip mall as I call it. You got to have a place for people to want to be in. Who wants to hang out in a place with cars zooming in and out everywhere. Just another auto centric shopping center. Bah. Does Mr. Sifen has a website or anything?

What about the planning commission, emailing them? That might do something?

We're currently working on something right now that if things go through should significantly raise the profile of the Hampton Roads forum in this area. It will be a significant change to the overall format and structure of the forums. With the folks we'll be bringing on board, it would be a great opportunity to promote urban development as a whole in this region. This project would be a perfect example of something we can alter through significant community input. We need to fight it every step of the way though, starting with letters to the planning commission, economic development, and also city council.

What about the city manager, James Spore. Ok, maybe I am overreacting but geesh.

You're not overreacting at all. This one development has the ability to halt urban progress in Pembroke for decades. You cannot develop a walkable, connected, urban core with dozens of acres of strip mall and a sea of parking lots right in the middle of it. It just doesn't work that way. If anything I'd say the city is underreacting. They need to buy that land.

To retort on previous comments- No, this isn't what Virginia Beach deserves. What kind of comment is that?

and to bring a political analogy...Everyone who voted for Obama voted on the premise and promise of CHANGE. Things can change and have started to change in Virginia Beach. To say Virginia Beach will always be suburban and Norfolk will always be Urban is such an unintelligent, stubborn comment...really. The last time I perused through Norfolk, the only significant urban section to the city is downtown/ghent. Everything else is just as suburban as Virginia Beach Blvd or Independence. To make a a blanket statement as such denies the suburban make-up of most of Norfolk as well as the urban layout of the oceanfront and our little Town Center.

Archived