Town Center Marketplace

vdogg

bad news!!!..Sifen was approved for this development project!

Date Last Verified: 2/5/2009

Property Description:

The Town Center Market Place is a new 135,000 SF Regional shopping center adjacent to the Virginia Beach Town Center. Anchor and Jr. Anchor spaces available from 10,000 sf to 100,000 sf. New small space shops totalling 50,000 sf with sizes from 1050 SF up to 10,000 SF. Busiest intersection in Virginia Beach. Phase 1 - totalling 15,000 sf small space retail available 6/1/09. Phase 2 -totalling 19,400 sf of small space and 60,000 sf Jr. Anchor space available 12/1/09.

Competely and utterly ridiculous. What is this talk of "high rises soaring over shopping districts and art districts, etc." This is not a shopping district, it's a strip mall they are letting this guy build. Is he going to do anything about linking his site to TC like a new crosswalk? NO. He's going to just expect everyone to drive up right infront of the store.

I don't understand this city. They have no spine to stop developers, whether good or bad... :o

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 9 months later...

Oh, I have been rooting for the financing for this to fall through for a while, I would like to see it sold to a developer who is willing to work with the city's future idea of the area.

I thought there was going to be a council meeting to rezone the whole Pembroke Strategic Growth Area once the vision was approved? If that is the case, can this project even more forward? It would obviously not meet the zoning requirements, but was approved before hand

I thought there was going to be a council meeting to rezone the whole Pembroke Strategic Growth Area once the vision was approved? If that is the case, can this project even more forward? It would obviously not meet the zoning requirements, but was approved before hand

It was approved before the plan went through, so it could happen...if financing fails and they have to start over at a later date trying to do the same thing, then it would not pass with the plan in place.

• 7 months later...

Hey everyone. It looks like Town Center Market Place is finally here. They took down the old HQ signs off Cleveland street and VBBLVD. There is a sign up now '' Town Center Market Place'' I guess the project went through!!! Meaning more light commerical in the Urban district. More stripmalls in the densed zone area.. I guess the Pembroke Implenatation plan was a waste of tax payers money after all. They don't plan to turn Pembroke into a dense area because they are giving developers incentives to build strip centers and big box retailers.. So long for downtown!

Hey everyone. It looks like Town Center Market Place is finally here. They took down the old HQ signs off Cleveland street and VBBLVD. There is a sign up now '' Town Center Market Place'' I guess the project went through!!! Meaning more light commerical in the Urban district. More stripmalls in the densed zone area.. I guess the Pembroke Implenatation plan was a waste of tax payers money after all. They don't plan to turn Pembroke into a dense area because they are giving developers incentives to build strip centers and big box retailers.. So long for downtown!

Come on Harry, wise up. There are numerous things wrong with your statement and I will explain why your post is untrue here: if you do a little research and actually study planning theory, you'll be able to see why this is not the end to a "downtown" VB, why the Comprehensive Plan is not a waste of time or taxpayer dollars (and in your case, what a PLAN is), and why the Marketplace developed as it did instead of how it was originally intended to be developed. This project has been under construction for at least a year and the storefronts aren't even open yet to my knowledge. Also, if you would take a look at the zoning map of Virginia Beach, you would see that this piece of property is zoned as B-3, not B-3A, which is the higher density zoning. Virginia Beach leaders want the Pembroke area to be the crown jewel of Virginia Beach and of course they want this to be a dense, urban area. But if a developer who owns a piece of property and fulfills all requirements stated under that zoning condition, and the structure passes design review, and is met with little community opposition, than the city cannot stop it from being built simply because it doesn't like it. If the government had that power, we would be a fascism. Could you provide any proof that they City provided any incentive whatsoever specifically to this developer to build this project? Please, if you're going to make an outrageous statement like that, be prepared to have some facts to back up your claim.

Honestly I wouldn't worry too much about this development and its effect on the urban plan for Virginia Beach. Basically it looks like nothing more than light commercial construction and the renovating of the old HQ building. Personally I would imagine this site would of sat vacant for another 10-15 years anyway. But that doesn't mean another developer can't come along when the market starts to get better, buy up this site and begin to redevelop it because it would be very easy to mold this into something that fit better within an urban fabric later down the line.

Plus for downtown VB, I would be looking more at the future redevelopment of Pembroke Mall because that is eventually going to be turned into an urban mall set within an urban center that extends the town center north and more than doubling the size of downtown.

That will probably be the next major redevelopment when the markets really start to turn around and retail and such begins to grow again.

Though I will say I was really hoping the original project would of gotten off the ground and had a couple of those towers built and the center plaza completed before the market tanked because I really love the architecture firm that was working on it and VB would of really gotten some quality architecture to their downtown.

• 3 years later...

The Town Center Marketplace is going to take on a look and feel of the new development over around Landstown. I'm more interested to hear the plans that are are in store for the Pembroke Office Park across the street.

Looks like that is true.

Also in the works - a possible expansion of the 12.5-acre Pembroke Office Park in Virginia Beach, which the company owns.

"We're thinking we can add some density to it long term," Perry said.

http://insidebiz.com/powerlist75-2013/j-christopher-perry

Let's hope that any expansion of the Pembroke Office Park involves trying to integrate it into an urban street pattern of some sort to better connect it to the rest of Pembroke.

• 1 year later...

So we finally get to see the full scale of the suburban hell Sifen has created. Coming in 2016....

http://x.lnimg.com/attachments/FC620516-B481-4F6F-98C0-102F15193987.pdf

And to think what could have been. I could place a whole downtown in that sea of parking.

Page 10 is particularly disheartening. The aerial view tells you exactly how much territory has been taken off the map. Combined with Walmart. Westward expansion is dead for at least the next 20 years. Our only hope is to the east. Thank God Armada Hoffler secured that property.

Good news. I recently spoke to one of the members of the VB planning staff. This project and Town Center North are both stalled indefinitely; the city is not happy with the proposed density.

Good...I'm with vdogg, not feeling the "Town Center Marketplace" in that location, and would much rather see an extension of Town Center to build the skyline. If something like "Phase 2" went there, and then the proposed Phase 2 across VB Blvd., it would build a really nice little skyline similar to the sketches I've seen around the forum.

Put the Marketplace over near the K-Mart, and integrate that with Pembroke Mall.

Good news. I recently spoke to one of the members of the VB planning staff. This project and Town Center North are both stalled indefinitely; the city is not happy with the proposed density.

Nice to see they're standing their ground on this. Kinda shocking cause last I heard I thought they said they didn't have the power to stop him because he owns the property. Are they thinking of buying the property?

Nice to see they're standing their ground on this. Kinda shocking cause last I heard I thought they said they didn't have the power to stop him because he owns the property. Are they thinking of buying the property?

Unfortunately, you're right about one thing; they do NOT have the power to stop him since he owns the property; I believe it was due to the owner having bought the property and made plans prior to that specific area of land being designated as a CBD (the staff member said it had to do with coding or something) But they're still talking with each other, so as of right now these plans aren't final.

• 2 weeks later...

Glad to hear that this is stalled. After reviewing the developer packet, I was at the conclusion that this could deal a blow to dense development in TC that would be very hard to recover from, if not impossible. It either needs to not happen at all, or get modified to include a parking garage with high density mixed use buildings.

• 1 year later...

Archived