Town Center Marketplace

vdogg

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is great news! The article states that the building will include a parking deck, which hopefully means that there'll be minimal surface-level parking. Fingers crossed that the building will be at least partly flush to the street like the nearby Walmart.

I suspect that it'll be built on the footprint of the old HQ while preserving the Office Max/Depot and the other existing shops. More shops will be built around the perimeter of the center along Columbus and Independence with surface parking in the center. The parking deck will be between the store and Columbus (where the garden center setup is currently). This is assuming they stick to the site plan as advertised for the past few years. 

http://x.lnimg.com/attachments/B5BAE53F-0FA6-4070-AA94-24AEC1727077.pdf

Regardless if this is a Wegman's or not... the site plan does not fit at all with the vision for an urban area around Town Center. It doesn't continue the Town Center-established street grid westward nor does it have any urban qualities to it whatsoever. Town Center is becoming more Tysons than it is a town or city center.

2 hours ago, OBXastronaut said:

Regardless if this is a Wegman's or not... the site plan does not fit at all with the vision for an urban area around Town Center. It doesn't continue the Town Center-established street grid westward nor does it have any urban qualities to it whatsoever. Town Center is becoming more Tysons than it is a town or city center.

The Tyson's Corner part doesn't sound too bad to me. But I do agree that this is still pretty suburban sounding, in nature. That side of Independence needs to start building upward, with more apartments and maybe another hotel or office tower.

I think as far as vertical development, you're far more likely to see it on the regal property than this property. Armada Hoffer owns that property  and is on record with wanting to make that an extension of town center regardless of whether there is a light rail stop there or not. This is going to take time, and there are going to be a lot of fits and starts. I think ultimately that we will reach our goal of a dense Urban core, but it's going to take some patience.

I'm hopeful this development will provide the retailers along Consitition a new location, including those on the other side of Virginia Beach Blvd. Between those and Pembroke office park, there's plenty to feed the demand denser development for at least a decade. 

On 1/20/2017 at 9:59 AM, carolinaboy said:

Congratulations VB, another grocery store! VB is blowing up!

With Sifen in control of the property, this is the best we're going to get. It's a tremendous store.  Not what we had hoped for long term, but when the Sandlers were forced to sell, that was the proverbial ball game. Time to move on.

Town Center isn't even built-out yet, and now that Armada Hoffler controls the entire Columbus Center,  dense, vertical urban growth will proceed eastward.

On 1/22/2017 at 3:41 PM, Brennen said:

Building Permits filed with the city indicate the current construction is for 4 retail buildings including a new building for Office Max. This is on the land Sifen purchased from the Sandlers. 

Brennen, can you provide a link?

• 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...

Archived