Visiting Savannah

Greenville

My girlfriend and I will be visiting Savannah for the first time next weekend (5/11-5/13), and I am interested in hearing some recommendations for things we should do. We're staying in the Hyatt in the historic district, so hopefully we will be close to a lot of the attractions. We'll be arriving late Friday night and leaving Sunday afternoon. I'm up for visiting well-known touristy landmarks as well as lesser-known gems.

Thanks in advance for your help!

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm not much help, I'm not very touristy and only lived in Savannah for a school year. BUT, I'd simply suggest going to Forsyth Park for awhile, and then walk all the way up Bull Street to the river. You can catch a lunch and beer at The Six Pence Pub, see the graphic design building for Savannah College of Art and Design, stroll through multiple squares, cross the thriving shopping-centric Broughton Street and pass forth to the original State Capitol on Bay Street (now city hall, I think?) and then go past THAT and down to the riverfront...and maybe see some ships oozing past the array of restaurants and waterfront shops. Watch out for the crazy steep stairs.

It's an incredibly simple walk, but I did that with my parents when they came to visit me there, and they were beyond entertained.

• 9 months later...

We are planning to visit your beautiful city towards the end of March. In most of my researching places to stay I've found that we've been priced out of the historic district. In the past I was told there were some "bad" areas to avoid and wondered if this still holds true. How is the "midtown" area? Any suggestions of hotels and parts of town would be appreciated.

We are planning to visit your beautiful city towards the end of March. In most of my researching places to stay I've found that we've been priced out of the historic district. In the past I was told there were some "bad" areas to avoid and wondered if this still holds true. How is the "midtown" area? Any suggestions of hotels and parts of town would be appreciated.

^I stayed at this hotel recently. The Midtown location was about half the price of downtown, and it was only about 10 minutes out. The area seemed safe to me. The sketchier parts of Savannah appear to be between Midtown and Downtown. That isn't saying much because the 'sketchy' parts of town aren't really that bad.

Archived