SouthEnd Midrise Projects

atlrvr

53 minutes ago, Jayvee said:

Design options A and B (almost identical) look worlds better than C, which looks very office park like. Not sure why they chose that one for the header image. Overall its nice and I can't really gripe about the lack of retail too much in this case. Nothing too exciting but it does exceed whatever low expectations I had for that corner (apartments). 

They're not breaking the mold, but it's not bad. Now that the meeting has happened, can anyone tell me who the developers actually are and if they have any type of track record, particularly with hotels? I don't know why, but I'm still not convinced that this is a sure thing yet. 

24 minutes ago, rjp212 said:

Not in love with any of them, but I prefer A.   Seems to have more glass than B and I prefer brick over what looks like concrete block.  

I'm still working with the architect and developer on change. I said lose the white stucco (I prefer A as well) and either have it colored or make it glass and black like the front. 

Also working on having the plaza be less walled off and coffee-shop-atizing the corner. Only problem and push back is that central coffee is right down the street. I am working on it though. They want to do the right thing. The turn out at the event last night was great. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Jayvee said:

I'm still working with the architect and developer on change. I said lose the white stucco (I prefer A as well) and either have it colored or make it glass and black like the front. 

Also working on having the plaza be less walled off and coffee-shop-atizing the corner. Only problem and push back is that central coffee is right down the street. I am working on it though. They want to do the right thing. The turn out at the event last night was great. 

I hope your efforts are fruitful.  I'm tired of the aggressive expansion of Beige-ing

I'm guessing (along with some others) this will be the Cambria that fell out of Crescent. However this seems like a no frills kind of hotel so it may not be. 

As far as design I expect to see something close to version A with less beige, less walled in patio and more color or more brick. You guys down with that? 

The parking isn't going anywhere. It is what it is. I actually think the wood screening in is very nice. The developers understand the upkeep involved and are prepared to take care of it to prevent "cars behind bars" to the max. 

11 minutes ago, Jayvee said:

I'm guessing (along with some others) this will be the Cambria that fell out of Crescent. However this seems like a no frills kind of hotel so it may not be. 

Isn't the Cambria brand fairly close to no frills? Its basically Choice's version of a Springhill Suites. Their "Back Porch" concept is usually at the back of the hotel, but for this layout, the fire pit could be on the street corner. Room count is close to the Cambria Suites standard.

Edited by CLT2014

a few notes from along the railtrail today:

1) Sedgefield shopping center / Teeter rebuild is going _very_ slowly. Little visible progress since the last photo, they were relocating the utilities today but not burring them based on the presence of new poles. (no photo)

2) Solis Southline (Remount and South) is going vertical today (the parking deck anyway). The photo below (from 1pm) misses the actual erection, but you can see verticality when driving by this afternoon (3pm). (photo 1)

3) The office building beside the carwash is mostly framed out. Sadly there is still a huge amount of space at the rear of the property which I imagine will become at grade parking facing the not yet built rail trail (photo 2 -- taken from rail trail)

4) I'll admit that I have never warmed up to Sycamore (not a fan of the beer) so take this winging with a grain of salt. They must be too busy depositing their madmellinial money to bother landscaping or addressing the rail trail at all. Their back lot is better without the fence, but gezzus, can't they spiff it up a bit? That giant gravel parking lot is a pox on the hood and totally unnecessary given the amount of street parking available (photo 3)

apts.jpg

office.jpg

sycamore.jpg

Edited by kermit

7 minutes ago, kermit said:

a few notes from along the railtrail today:

1) Sedgefield shopping center / Teeter rebuild is going _very_ slowly. Little visible progress since the last photo, they were relocating the utilities today (but not burring them based on the presence of new poles) (no photo)

2) Solis Southline (Remount and South) is going vertical today (the parking deck anyway). The photo below (from 1pm) misses the actual erection, but you can see verticality when driving by this afternoon (3pm). (photo 1)

3) The office building beside the carwash is mostly framed out. Sadly there is still a huge amount of space at the rear of the property which I imagine will become at grade parking facing the not yet built rail trail (photo 2 -- taken from rail trail)

4) I'll admit that I have never warmed up to Sycamore (not a fan of the beer) so take this winging with a grain of salt. They must be too busy depositing their madmellinial money to bother landscaping or addressing the rail trail at all. Their back lot is better without the fence, but gezzus, can't they spiff it up a bit? That giant gravel parking lot is a pox on the hood and totally unnecessary given the amount of street parking available (photo 3)

sycamore.jpg

Sycamore is planning a big expansion towards the rail trail with a biergarten, second taproom, and a rooftop deck, they will slowly start building closer and closer to the rail trail.

Was basically in the process of pointing out what rdf said above. The gravel lot will be the new home of Food Truck Friday, and really any time after 4:00 is full anyway. Some of us are hoping to commission a large mural on the backside of the white brick building there (I have no good estimate of timeline, but it is on the right people's radar at least). 

Also I used to agree wholeheartedly with you on the beer UNTIL the last time I went. I sampled a lot and thought the overall quality level had taken a big jump up. Their already decent barrel aged beers continue to get more impressive and they've made incremental improvements to their IPAs (though thats still their achilles heel kind of). 

• 2 weeks later...
8 hours ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

If you had told me 10 years ago there would be for sale townhomes on youngblood, I would have slapped you.

The name youngblood is a little unfortunate, hopefully the addresses are different and named after the new small streets.