SouthEnd Midrise Projects

atlrvr

There was no way a low-rise warehouse building was ever going to stay at that location for another decade. It's fifty feet from a light rail station. I think it's fugly, but from a property owner's standpoint it was a no-brainer. I would expect the parking lot behind Grace Covenant Church to go as well, and the parking lot with the midnight diner. That said, I wish that we could build something that actually interfaces with the street, or preserved the facade, but, you know, that's not Charlotte style.

2 hours ago, CLT704 said:

I'll add my 2¢, it is a nice design but it's not for SouthEnd, I'd rather see it on a parking lot in Uptown. Also it's a real shame that more historic and unique buildings are being pulled down. 

Interesting take.  

Isn't a large point of TOD to develop density along the lines in an outward trajectory?   SouthEnd is the first area to see this type of investment obviously.  Shouldn't it just be the case of doing the 'next SouthEnd' a bit further down the line.  Rinse and Repeat for ROI?

32 minutes ago, nonillogical said:

This building on S. Tryon that we've long speculated about is being gutted. Not demo'd. It seems like we had some discouraging info about it a year or so ago but I can't remember what it was. Is it back on track for re-use now? Sure looks like it. 

I can tell you that the plan is still to pave paradise and put up a parking lot. Until Spectrum is ready to build apartments.

15 minutes ago, AP3 said:

Not sure if this has been posted here yet, but it looks like there are more town homes heading to South End.  

8-26-2016 2-35-59 PM.png

8-26-2016 2-35-23 PM.png

Its been mentioned a couple times I believe, but never with a Planning Department Submission attached and so much detail, so thank you!

36 minutes ago, SgtCampsalot said:

This new Truliant bank. This is how you build stuff. This right here. The only issue is the front sidewalk doesn't continue to Off-Broadway Shoes. Wtf. They couldn't have built a curb cut into their drive?

20160826_165948.png

have you seen their parking deck though and its relationship with the rail trail? oof...

Sandy Springs, GA recently amended its building code to ban stick built structures that exceed 3 stories and 100,000 sq ft.  It's an interesting concept that I doubt would take hold in Charlotte.  However, it would be fun to experiment with a similar concept in our TOD corridors.

44 minutes ago, hinsp0 said:

Sandy Springs, GA recently amended its building code to ban stick built structures that exceed 3 stories and 100,000 sq ft.  It's an interesting concept that I doubt would take hold in Charlotte.  However, it would be fun to experiment with a similar concept in our TOD corridors.

Is this effectively a move by Sandy Springs to maintain the suburban nature of the city though and stop apartment construction? By making it cost prohibitive for many developers to build apartments that aren't luxury towers, Sandy Springs essentially puts a halt on apartment development in the city.... those that are built are more likely to be luxury apartments with high rent. Something all the residents in the big mansions in the southwest corner of the city will be happy about (median income runs $100k - $250k for census tracks there).

Edited by CLT2014
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, CLT2014 said:

Is this effectively a move by Sandy Springs to maintain the suburban nature of the city though and stop apartment construction? By making it cost prohibitive for many developers to build apartments that aren't luxury towers, Sandy Springs essentially puts a halt on apartment development in the city.... those that are built are more likely to be luxury apartments with high rent. Something all the residents in the big mansions in the southwest corner of the city will be happy about (median income runs $100k - $250k for census tracks there).

I have no idea what Sandy Springs' true motivation for the ban is.  I do agree that the ban will obviously make certain types of developments cost prohibitive. 

I just wanted to share the Sandy Spring news on the SouthEnd Midrise thread since a lot of us aren't thrilled that the majority of the apartment projects along the blue line have been, and continue to be, stick-built.  I think a ban on stick-built developments below a certain size, in limited areas such as .25 mile radius around light-rail stations, would be an interesting concept.

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/26/2016 at 2:54 PM, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

Its been mentioned a couple times I believe, but never with a Planning Department Submission attached and so much detail, so thank you!

RDF, I expected you to post renderings and site plans by now. I contacted developers and they said they hope to be closing on first units in a year. Hard to image though seeing how slowly things are built in south end. Helix was supposed to be done in August. 3 of the units there haven't even been started and I'm wondering if they were scrapped. 

15 hours ago, Ryan20 said:

RDF, I expected you to post renderings and site plans by now. I contacted developers and they said they hope to be closing on first units in a year. Hard to image though seeing how slowly things are built in south end. Helix was supposed to be done in August. 3 of the units there haven't even been started and I'm wondering if they were scrapped. 

Did you happen to ask any other details of the developers?  Price point specifically?

15 minutes ago, SouthEndCLT811 said:

Did you happen to ask any other details of the developers?  Price point specifically?

I'm fairly close with the land owners. I'll reach out to them and see if they have information.

A couple of other Southend notes from Accela:

1.  It looks as if both the Atherton Mill redevelopment and the Hotel on S.Tryon are both working their way through Accela, so hopefully some movement will soon occur on those sites.  Does anyone have a clue as to what the hotel brand will be? Hopefully it's not an Everywhere, USA hotel like a Hampton Inn.

2.  A new "commercial redevelopment" will occur on the parcel located at 3627 South Boulevard. This parcel is close to the Scaleybark station.

1 minute ago, cltbwimob said:

A couple of other Southend notes from Accela:

1.  It looks as if both the Atherton Mill redevelopment and the Hotel on S.Tryon are both working their way through Accela, so hopefully some movement will soon occur on those sites.  Does anyone have a clue as to what the hotel brand will be? Hopefully it's not an Everywhere, USA hotel like a Hampton Inn.

2.  A new "commercial redevelopment" will occur on the parcel located at 3627 South Boulevard. This parcel is close to the Scaleybark station.

For point 2 I think Agenda got the address wrong but aligns close to where Pure Body is going to build a standalone gym.

https://www.charlotteagenda.com/64390/pure-body-leaving-atherton-mill-opening-massive-new-fitness-complex-street/