SouthEnd Midrise Projects

atlrvr

So the city's website just got a huge overhall (including ridetransit.org, rezoning.org, etc). I was poking around on the new CIP website, and noticed an entry for "Southend Pedestrian/Bicycle Connector," which appears focused on the Atherton area. No info apparently up yet, but wondering if this is the long-sought project for a way to cross the blue line

http://charlotte.maps.arcgis.com/apps/MapJournal/index.html?appid=12d657e039e44e428255a8c965c00165

(*As of this writing, their website is clearly being debugged, so tread lightly)

• Like 3

This caught me by surprise. Ely sez that West Elm (the furniture retailer) is opening a Southend hotel in the design center. 150 rooms, Charlotte will be one of five planned hotels for the new chain. Opening is sometime 'late' 2018, if they actually get it finished they will kill it in this location.

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/news/business/biz-columns-blogs/development/article104207671.html

The CBJ mentioned an interesting kicker to the hotel:

" A hospitality academy is also planned as part of the West Elm HOTELS heading to South End, which Bowd said is expected to generate a significant number of local jobs for the hotel.http://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/news/2016/09/26/west-elm-to-develop-100-000-square-foot-hotel-in.html?ana=e_ae_set1&s=article_du&ed=2016-09-26&u=jDmEk%2BCKbYnAvaVfOFOlFGXcGSC&t=1474917205&j=75911612

could be nothing, could be a nice companion to Johnson and Wales.

Edited by kermit
  • Like 3

6 minutes ago, kermit said:

This caught me by surprise. Ely sez that West Elm (the furniture retailer) is opening a Southend hotel in the design center. 150 rooms, Charlotte will be one of five planned hotels for the new chain. Sometime 'late' 2018. If this actually gets opened they will kill it in this location.

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/news/business/biz-columns-blogs/development/article104207671.html

I've mentioned the hotel a couple times, just not the flag. This is the first of a few big announcements that should be coming to the Design Center. 

1 hour ago, Ryan20 said:

Any updates on this one?

I'm supposed to interview them for an article I'm supposed to be writing, but I've been too busy at work for writing, so I haven't had a chance to call them yet. sorry :-(

Just now, KJHburg said:

Where exactly is the new West Elm hotel going to be on the surface parking lot or somewhere else at Design Center? Neither of the articles mentioned the exact location. Thanks in advance. 

None of the articles have actually mentioned it, but from what I was told a while back the hotel would be developed on the corner of Hawkins and West Blvd.

Screen_Shot_2016-09-26_at_4_48.34_PM.png

Today I saw that Key Auto Top (building accross from Common Market) is building a new facility off Hoskins Rd. in West Charlotte. This lead me to investigate a little. I knew that DFA had purchased land near there, what I hadn't realized is DFA has actually assembled 3.003 (0.7 acres larger than the common market site) acres directly accross the street from their new SouthEnd building. Makes me wonder how long until we see DFA #2. 

On 4/8/2015 at 10:30 AM, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

Looks like Faison is exploring redeveloping the 36 acre Brookhill Village community. I have mixed feelings, as I see that community as blight, but I worry about so so many families and people being displaced. Hopefully we get a nice community with a good mix of homes for a multitude of income levels. Between this and the Selwyn neighborhood redevelopment, this could be a very very hopping area of town, if done correctly.

For reference this entire area i the brookhill neighborhood. 

http://binged.it/1E56Ol2

Looks like the Feds/Law Enforcement want to see this place cleaned up as well.... http://www.charlotteobserver.com/news/business/biz-columns-blogs/development/article106137392.html

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Matthew.Brendan said:

Hopefully everything is razed. I don't know how you save any of that. 

Based on the condition of the buildings, I would think a stiff wind from Matthew could level the place. What a dump. I understand low income housing is needed but these unit don't look like they were EVER maintained.  I shudder every time I get off Remont. 

• Like 1

The BofA retail branch appears to be opening soon...
6fd7713eac22980c00e7ca1c033cc3e1.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Also, the Lexington Apartments are leasing. Pic below is the backside of the complex adjacent to the YMCA parking deck, which is under construction now.
c8ed5b37a4b0450f95f2adc23f289775.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2 minutes ago, Jayvee said:

There's a lot of work to be done on the site/location. They said spring but that's generous. 

there were also many many months of delays when they were getting the original Southend location up and running. I love those guys but they are not the best at estimating construction times. Hopefully they are able to contract more of the work out this time around.