SouthEnd Midrise Projects

atlrvr

I think the old CM (and other prior businesses) block is about to be razed now for the new building. Construction equipment is on site and this whole block seems to have a dark gray cloud over it because of that. Even though everything has been closed for a while, this feels like a final nail in the coffin due to how much this block meant to SouthEnd.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, ScottCLT said:

I think the old CM (and other prior businesses) block is about to be razed now for the new building. Construction equipment is on site and this whole block seems to have a dark gray cloud over it because of that. Even though everything has been closed for a while, this feels like a final nail in the coffin due to how much this block meant to SouthEnd.

Yeah I mentioned a few days ago the buildings all received demo permits. Should start in a week or so.

It is to note (let's call it a rumor for now) that DFA plans to use the other land they bought (across Tryon) as construction staging and once that is complete turn the area into a park. 

Edited by Jayvee

Does anyone have any info on the development happening on Belton Street in Sedgefield?  I think I know who the developer is, but I've also been told that a site plan is floating around yet I haven't seen it here...

Charlotte website shows a recombination of 25 lots to 39 duplex/single family lots but doesn't go into much more detail.  I'm assuming town homes.

1 hour ago, VTinCV said:

Does anyone have any info on the development happening on Belton Street in Sedgefield?  I think I know who the developer is, but I've also been told that a site plan is floating around yet I haven't seen it here...

Charlotte website shows a recombination of 25 lots to 39 duplex/single family lots but doesn't go into much more detail.  I'm assuming town homes.

My friend says they are connecting Weston St where it dead ends between Hartford and Hollis and building townhomes is what he heard. His family owns a property in that area on corner of Weston St. I meant to say they are building townhomes he thinks on Hartford where all those duplexes were knocked over. Not sure if this is the same project you are talking about or not. 

Edited by KJHburg
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, KJHburg said:

My friend says they are connecting Weston St where it dead ends between Hartford and Hollis and building townhomes is what he heard. His family owns a property in that area on corner of Weston St. I meant to say they are building townhomes he thinks on Hartford where all those duplexes were knocked over. Not sure if this is the same project you are talking about or not. 

No, this is a little further south.  The other one is near Greystone and part of Sedgefield.  The one you are referring to is in Colonial Village.

Although I'm interested in the one you mentioned as well.  There was a little action from Pulte on that site last year, but nothing since then. (I believe that Pulte is now working on a town home project across Clanton from the new QT.)  If you have any more info/details, I'd love to hear about it!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SouthEndCLT811 said:

As someone mentioned, 235 W Tremont is the new CM location..

What's crazy is that I worked at this location for years. I knew that it was inevitable that Carolina Prepress would have to move, but I always assumed someone would buy out the whole block and build apartments or townhomes. I'm curious about what their plans are for parking because it's going to be even worse than the last location unless they buy another lot just for parking. The inside of the existing building is a rat maze of additions and renovations over the years with a large empty space in the back. From the preliminary renderings it looks like they plan on retaining the existing structures which is a curious choice in my opinion. It's also not a location that encourages a lot of foot traffic at the moment, although this could be the spur that connects it to the Design Center.

31 minutes ago, ah59396 said:

It looks like a Scandinavian car dealership.  Terrible.  Not what I wanted to see from them.

It doesn't look charming here but I think its early to discount it. They say its not the final design, but even if it is, that same rendering would look a lot different in real life when you have a fleshed out patio, eclectic decorating and furniture, things hanging from the ceiling, windows and walls covered in posters and stickers, etc, all things that I think are reasonable to assume will happen. I think the increase in space is good, the location is solid, and it will "wear in" just fine.

Question, do they own this building unlike the last one? My only real concern here is the parking area in front, I hope that gets converted to extra patio or something.

• Like 1

I like where it's going. It doesn't have the "we're working with what we've got" vibe, but in just a few weeks half that wall will be covered with stickers and posters, people will show up with their own found seating, they'll have some great events out front and the new CM culture will develope

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, nonillogical said:

It doesn't look charming here but I think its early to discount it. They say its not the final design, but even if it is, that same rendering would look a lot different in real life when you have a fleshed out patio, eclectic decorating and furniture, things hanging from the ceiling, windows and walls covered in posters and stickers, etc, all things that I think are reasonable to assume will happen. I think the increase in space is good, the location is solid, and it will "wear in" just fine.

Question, do they own this building unlike the last one? My only real concern here is the parking area in front, I hope that gets converted to extra patio or something.

http://www.charlottemagazine.com/Charlotte-Magazine/November-2016/Common-Market-South-End-Is-Reopening-And-Its-Such-A-Common-Market-Story/

this will answer everything. Better article than CA(sorry Jaycee), CBJ and C5(sorry myself)

1 hour ago, ah59396 said:

It looks like a Scandinavian car dealership.  Terrible.  Not what I wanted to see from them.

If this rendering is anything like the renderings for every single apartment / high rise / office building development that comes through Charlotte's pipeline, it will end up looking waaay sh--tier than the renderings show, which in the case of Common Market, looking super sh--ty is its biggest asset.

If this rendering is anything like the renderings for every single apartment / high rise / office building development that comes through Charlotte's pipeline, it will end up looking waaay sh--tier than the renderings show, which in the case of Common Market, looking super sh--ty is its biggest asset.

After visiting Willet, Makers Mark and Wild Turkey in Kentucky, I've grown fond of farmhouse outparcel industrial chic. I like it. I think once you get a bunch of "the old pieces of flare" on the building it'll look pretty authentic. Keep in mind it's not a new building people, its literally a corrugated metal building that was added on in the 90s.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9 minutes ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

After visiting Willet, Makers Mark and Wild Turkey in Kentucky, I've grown fond of farmhouse outparcel industrial chic. I like it. I think once you get a bunch of "the old pieces of flare" on the building it'll look pretty authentic. Keep in mind it's not a new building people, its literally a corrugated metal building that was added on in the 90s.

Oh I totally agree. It's very CM. Just being snarky in an effort to pay CM a compliment. I LOVE how "sh--ty" CM makes itself. Whenever I go in there it helps me stay humble.

Edited by SgtCampsalot

Oh I totally agree. It's very CM. Just being snarky in an effort to pay CM a compliment. I LOVE how "sh--ty" CM makes itself. Whenever I go in there I helps me stay humble.

I keep seeing people calling it sterile. Throw some crap on the building and it's straight out of American pickers. It's a 90s afterthought corrugated add on, it's hard to convey dented metal in maya. It'll be shabby chic as hell.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ATTENTION EVERYONE

the renderings will not represent the final product. These were made to have "something to show" and CM hardly had anything to do with them. They were made more for the stakeholders of the entire building and CM wanted something with the announcement. Frankly, I don't even know why CM is putting these out there. There will not be 2 levels like that is demonstrated here. It'll be more colorful, and it doesn't show the back which will be the best part.  

Edited by Jayvee