SouthEnd Midrise Projects

atlrvr

https://www.charlotteagenda.com/73842/south-ends-design-center-sold-42-million-look-developer-build-urban-retail-walkability/

Here are a few more details on the detail. They also bought Off Broadway. And yes, as prodev said it won't be 100% retail but it will be a mix and all street facing will be retail.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Jayvee said:

https://www.charlotteagenda.com/73842/south-ends-design-center-sold-42-million-look-developer-build-urban-retail-walkability/

Here are a few more details on the detail. They also bought Off Broadway. And yes, as prodev said it won't be 100% retail but it will be a mix and all street facing will be retail.

The Off Broadway land might be bigger news than Design Center. Design Center is already pretty great, Off Broadway is just terrible, so suburban. 

26 minutes ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

The Off Broadway land might be bigger news than Design Center. Design Center is already pretty great, Off Broadway is just terrible, so suburban. 

They have no plans for that site. It was just a yield play and if they happen to get the real estate back then there's definitely upside, but don't look for anything to happen there any time soon.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

In a stunning, but not that surprising move, RAM has sold Design Center of the Carolinas for a staggering 42.7 Million Dollars. It signals some very big things ahead for the Design Center. Ram is holding onto the parking lot outparcels, and will likely still develop their apartments and hotel. The only thing that sold was the building itself. The most interesting part about this whole thing is WHO bought it. The company, Asana, is made up of 5 former Edens employees (among others)... all with a 100% retail background, and the company bills itself as a Retail Real Estate Investment Company. I've been hearing that Design Center would go all retail for some time now, and this signals that Design Center, without a doubt will be going all retail, and with the purchase price... It is going to be some game changing retail. 

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/news/business/biz-columns-blogs/development/article117684703.html

While it stinks for the existing tenants to now need to look for new spaces, that is a long list of 'seeds' that can be spread around other parts of Charlotte to help upcoming districts. 

I'm glad for this change. I like to think of every neighborhood in the world's main street that a festival or parade would use. Camden will definitely be a powerhouse of a Main St in the years to come. This Design Center change will glue Tremont more to Camden, particularly to the west, where Common Market and other nice old sites sit.

Edited by SgtCampsalot

Just now, SgtCampsalot said:

I'm glad for this change. I like to think of every neighborhood in the world's main street that a festival or parade would use. Camden will definitely be a powerhouse of a Main St in the years to come. This Design Center change will glue Tremont more to Camden, particularly to the west, where Common Market and other cool old buildings sit.

When DFA is done and Design center is fleshed out, Camden will be lined with retail its ENTIRE stretch 

• Like 3

On 11/22/2016 at 10:37 AM, SouthEndCLT811 said:

A co-worker knows my interest in the town homes across from Common Market and happens to be friends with the developer on Facebook and shared this rendering he posted.

townhomes.png

here is an updated site plan that matches the rendering

On 11/22/2016 at 10:37 AM, SouthEndCLT811 said:

tremont.PNG

25 minutes ago, atlrvr said:

I don't know if this is exciting news or not, but the hotel previously referred to as Divine South End, going to S Tryon at Kingston is going to be branded a Holiday Inn Express & Suites.

Is the rendering still accurate? I was very encouraged by it, and that they improved it after community input, but its hard to imagine it as a Holiday Inn Express. I don't really care what the brand is as long as it doesn't represent a step backward for the plan. 

2 hours ago, atlrvr said:

I don't know if this is exciting news or not, but the hotel previously referred to as Divine South End, going to S Tryon at Kingston is going to be branded a Holiday Inn Express & Suites.

Southend gonna be awesome -- charming apartment blocks combined with the vibe of an interstate exit!

(despite my pessimism I would sell my soul for a storefront Waffle House in Southend)

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Jayvee said:

Even more important however is the fact that HI Expresses don't have bars and restaurants. I believe this will help guests get out in the community (especially given the hotels location) to eat, drink and experience. 

south-end-hotel-new-rendering.jpg

As long as it still looks like this and keeps the retail, you can call it a Ramada and I'll still be happy.

• Like 3

On 10/8/2015 at 3:33 PM, cltcane said:

More apartments.  The Bainbridge Companies wants to build 200 apartments in a 7-story building wrapping a parking deck in the empty lot at the corner of South and Poindexter.

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/news/business/biz-columns-blogs/development/article38210757.html

Demo of the small building beside the old Pepsi truck parking lot at South and Poindexter is underway.   

20 hours ago, SentioVenia said:

This looks better than the Embassy Suites in uptown:

6329513433_ee456b4e19_b.jpg

I have a strange fascination with Soviet architecture (something my Russian boyfriend can't understand, haha), but some of the new apartment buildings in the working class suburbs of both Moscow and St. Petersburg look better than what we're getting here even though they're definitely still built for function over form (no gourmet kitchens with wine coolers, leashless dog parks, yoga studios, or heated saltwater pools there).

Edited by cltcane

Just now, Papaner88 said:

A friend that works for a firm in the Design Center said their company announced a 5 yr lease extension shortly after the purchase.   So I'm not sure I would look for a quick flip to all retail

They aren't planning all retail. One building will be 90% retail, 10% office, one will be 90% office and 10% retail, the last one will be more like 50/50 office and retail. There are already some big soft commits, from what I understand. Between Atherton and Design Center, there will be some great names. Once Ram develops the outparcels too, this could be quite the district.