SouthEnd Midrise Projects

atlrvr

1 minute ago, KJHburg said:

In some people's mind 8 stories is a high rise. I think it has a good look for the neighborhood and lots of retail and open plaza space. Also a 2 building concept is easier to finance and build in phases. 

I don't know... I don't see this being built in phases. Original iteration had a hotel attached as well, I guess hotel financing is becoming too difficult. 

1 minute ago, KJHburg said:

to quote the article it is a multiphase project and yes hotel financing is harder and harder these days.  Construction is scheduled to begin this summer, with Harrell indicating at least one of the buildings is expected to deliver in summer 2018.

me no read good

Edited by Guest

The apartment units wrapping the garage on the HD Supply project are a really neat idea. As small studios without the fancy amenities like a pool, they should be cheaper than other offerings in the neighborhood and will provide some nice diversity in housing.  These must be the only non-"luxury" apartments built in the center city in years. And they'll serve to screen the big ugly parking garage.

• Like 3

What do people think about this possible luxury townhomes 5 feet away from an industrial site that has been there for years? I think the owner of the Gas Fired products is right people will complain and how will future city councils or city staff deal with this? http://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/news/2017/01/18/townhouses-proposed-near-south-end-manufacturing.html?ana=RSS%26s%3Darticle_search&utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter   I would never buy a home in a situation like that unless I thought the manufacturing facility would go away. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, KJHburg said:

What do people think about this possible luxury townhomes 5 feet away from an industrial site that has been there for years? I think the owner of the Gas Fired products is right people will complain and how will future city councils or city staff deal with this? http://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/news/2017/01/18/townhouses-proposed-near-south-end-manufacturing.html?ana=RSS%26s%3Darticle_search&utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter   I would never buy a home in a situation like that unless I thought the manufacturing facility would go away. 

I think it's going to take maybe 10 years before the people who live in these townhomes forget they purchased something built 70 after the business next door and expect the city to do something to move the same business...to protect their quality of life of course.

• Like 1

I think it's going to take maybe 10 years before the people who live in these townhomes forget they purchased something built 70 after the business next door and expect the city to do something to move the same business...to protect their quality of life of course.

In South Park Slope, everyday, I pass by a luxury building containing 2.5 million dollar condos. On one side of it is a halal meat processing facility that takes in live animals and butchers them, it perpetually smells like feces. On the other side is a metal fabricating facility, I have no complaints about them, their noises stay mostly within the well built structure that houses it. Across the street is a auto repair shop, they keep their doors open all day and blast merengue and top40. My point is, theres more out of touch structures successfully being built in truly awful places. The metal fabricator which operates during regular business hours shouldn't be too much of a concern. Pretty much anywhere you live in south end will be inconvenienced by the sights and sounds of construction at some point.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

23 hours ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

In South Park Slope, everyday, I pass by a luxury building containing 2.5 million dollar condos. On one side of it is a halal meat processing facility that takes in live animals and butchers them, it perpetually smells like feces. On the other side is a metal fabricating facility, I have no complaints about them, their noises stay mostly within the well built structure that houses it. Across the street is a auto repair shop, they keep their doors open all day and blast merengue and top40. My point is, theres more out of touch structures successfully being built in truly awful places. The metal fabricator which operates during regular business hours shouldn't be too much of a concern. Pretty much anywhere you live in south end will be inconvenienced by the sights and sounds of construction at some point.

I get it.  Was just pointing out that, depending where you live, many don't share the idea of cohabitation.  Acceptance of this in South Park Slope >>>>>> Charlotte in my opinion.  

I personally see the benefit of a mixed community if that is what you want and what you buy into.  Sadly, some people are obtuse to the existing community when making a purchase into it. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, cjd5050 said:

I personally see the benefit of a mixed community if that is what you want and what you buy into.  Sadly, some people are obtuse to the existing community when making a purchase into it. 

That's a good point. Some people are blind to the existing reality because they want to see the potential future reality. That's why I kinda see where the manufacturer is coming from. Though having a light industrial mix in an urban transit-oriented neighborhood is pretty awesome still.

Kind of the distinction of someone who moves into an old rundown neighborhood because their house is brand new, and then expect their next door neighbor to suddenly get rid of their chain link fence and landscape their yard.

Edited by SgtCampsalot
  • Like 3

In terms of buried power lines they are great but expensive. Hilton Head Island where I have a condo has all buried lines except for the main trunk lines onto the island. It was quite helpful with Hurricane Matthew as there were thousands of trees down but the power was restored to the whole island in about 3 days. However every month I paid a fee through my electric bill for this service as the town of HHI requires the electric company to do it. But you would think new apartment developments would want to pay a little extra to have them removed right by their projects

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KJHburg said:

In terms of buried power lines they are great but expensive. Hilton Head Island where I have a condo has all buried lines except for the main trunk lines onto the island. It was quite helpful with Hurricane Matthew as there were thousands of trees down but the power was restored to the whole island in about 3 days. However every month I paid a fee through my electric bill for this service as the town of HHI requires the electric company to do it. But you would think new apartment developments would want to pay a little extra to have them removed right by their projects

Underground is 2-4 times more expensive and vastly more for maintenance. With Duke's coal ash troubles and solar endeavors, don't expect them to be burying anytime soon.  

Edited by mpretori
  • Like 2

On January 19, 2017 at 9:36 AM, atlrvr said:

I think the argument against building these are disingenuous because it is saying that the city believes the people are too stupid to make rationale decisions, and have to be protected from themselves.

We are all just stupid plebes and government always knows best!  I mean, when's the last time our local government did anything disingenuos?

38 minutes ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/entertainment/ent-columns-blogs/lawrence-toppman/article128757264.html
I'm very happy with MPV now, I apologize for doubting them so hard. Still awful that there is a 140 foot long blank wall that has to be covered, but at least they are doing a damn good job covering it.

Totally agree

• Like 1

In Brookhill Village news, an initiative called ONEBrookhill seeks to develop new affordable housing on the land. The current lease owner "has offered to donate its interest to an appropriate non-profit that is committed to fulfilling the goals of redevelopment."

Not a sexy project but also not surprising since it's Lawanda Mayfield's district.

IMG_0169.JPG

IMG_0170.JPG

• Like 2