SouthEnd Midrise Projects

atlrvr

JLL did a national report on "fringe" urban areas and SouthEnd was one they mentioned and profiled. Nothing new here but it is national recognition of what we all know and what will become a major office market in the future. http://www.us.jll.com/united-states/en-us/research/8077/top-2017-united-states-fringe-real-estate-markets

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, rjp212 said:

Not a bad looking storage facility.  Placed across from the former Tremont Music Hall.

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/news/business/biz-columns-blogs/development/article138186873.html

TremontStorageFacility.jpg

I'd prefer more windows on the front side but otherwise this is great.  Too bad Ferguson couldn't have done something like this for their showroom...

• Like 2

4 hours ago, rjp212 said:

Not a bad looking storage facility.  Placed across from the former Tremont Music Hall.

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/news/business/biz-columns-blogs/development/article138186873.html

TremontStorageFacility.jpg

My initial take was that not only is this an outstanding design for a storage facility but it could also be easily converted to an outstanding design for office space.

Build this out now, make money and wait it out 15 years.  Then once the area has fully been transformed convert.  

• Like 2

^^proceed with your praise with caution.  Did you see the storage facility going up on Graham street?  That sucker is purpose built, and not possible for reuse...  Also "brick" can mean a lot of different things in these early renderings and especially in budget construction.  Don't be surprised if the shadow lines you see above disappear and you end up with lick and stick or painted tilt up concrete exterior walls. (I would love to be proven wrong however)

Edited by archiham04
  • Like 1

Not sure if this should be here or in Misc Uptown thread, but does anyone know what is happening at the East corner of W. Morehead and Mint? The small lot that only has a few parking spaces on it. There appears to be some site work underway towards the 277 onramp side.

Small little 7000 sq foot data center :-(. There will be outdoor event space on the corner though and parking for a mobile beer garden.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's disappointing (not holding my breath for the outdoor event space to be anything other than some land they don't build on). I wonder how the numbers work out to put such a tiny building on what must be some expensive land. 

Related question, is the upfit of the 1-story buildings across the street still a go? I haven't seen any movement other than the print shop moving out, but I thought I saw new For Lease signs up on one or two of the buildings. 

1 hour ago, nonillogical said:

That's disappointing (not holding my breath for the outdoor event space to be anything other than some land they don't build on). I wonder how the numbers work out to put such a tiny building on what must be some expensive land. 

Related question, is the upfit of the 1-story buildings across the street still a go? I haven't seen any movement other than the print shop moving out, but I thought I saw new For Lease signs up on one or two of the buildings. 

The building is for the Panthers and owned by them...the lot will be for tailgating purposes I will assume

The owners, who redid a lot of the gems in the gold district, are now handling the leasing themselves so that'd be why there'd be new signs. As far as movement goes, none on the construction end but leasing is going smoothly and there are a couple restaurants very interested in the space thus far.

There is some funky spots in Nashville that resemble the gold district with great funky restaurants and entertainment spots, it's exactly what the area needs

Solis Southend this evening. I actually kinda like this one since the street corner will have retail and such   Actually it looks much better from South and Remount than what this photo shows. But as you see I was stopped by the train 

CAM07648.jpg

Edited by KJHburg
  • Like 4

What's up with this quote from Asana . . 

Sam Judd, chief investment officer at Asana, said the firm doesn't have immediate plans for the buildings, which sit on a 0.8-acre site at the intersection of Camden Road and West Park Avenue, directly on the Lynx Blue Line.   "We like the location relative to our other holdings in South End," Judd said. "I think as tenants’ leases expire, we’ll renovate the buildings and bring in new tenants."

Developers: I'd like a little less "get off my lawn" and a little more "kumbayah" in these press statements. Even if you're lying to us. 

I am very optimistic about this purchase.  Asana is an offshoot of Edens.  Edens is big time retail.  Retail is trending right now toward placemaking, authenticity, and experiential shopping.  I see this purchase as perhaps a protectionist purchase.... perhaps trying to salvage what's left of the authentic place that they are invested in.  They have plenty of new product to come on line near Design Center.  This holding, if preserved will probably bring value to their others and not lose value.

Edited by archiham04
  • Like 2

The new Camden townhouse project is now under construction. http://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/news/2017/03/27/for-rent-townhouse-project-near-uptown-under.html
I had forgotten about this project because it seems to have stayed under the radar. 

I mentioned this project the other day in the rail trail thread. After diving into the plans, I learned the developer is paying to extend the railtrail to 277 in order to give this project its own rail trail link. Next step bridging 277.

The "South End Interiors" building at W. Tremont and Hawkins is undergoing some kind of renovation. This is that neat, slightly creepy black building with the wrought-iron window bars. Unfortunately, it looks like those unique elements and even the building name along the roofline are being stripped-down (maybe just removed to re-paint though). Does anyone know what is going on here?

8 minutes ago, nonillogical said:

The "South End Interiors" building at W. Tremont and Hawkins is undergoing some kind of renovation. This is that neat, slightly creepy black building with the wrought-iron window bars. Unfortunately, it looks like those unique elements and even the building name along the roofline are being stripped-down (maybe just removed to re-paint though). Does anyone know what is going on here?

Asana purchased it, it'll be retail/restaurant space. I'd imagine with what I know about Asana, it'll be a great space and a great reno. That said, they haven't proven anything yet so this will be a good test for them.