SouthEnd Midrise Projects

atlrvr

7 minutes ago, J-Rob said:

From the CBJ, the RailYard obtained official approval last night.  As previously noted on UP, it could be as tall as 10 stories even though it is initially planned for 8. I love the look of this building.

https://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/news/2017/07/18/beacon-partners-south-end-project-gets-city.html

RailYard.jpg.b770300209daf495ecf92147f46afa85.jpg

Figure you guys will love this. 

39 minutes ago, kermit said:

My overall impression was that there was less change than I had expected over the year. There has been some impressive growth along the margins but the core of the area feels much the same (Design Center, Atherton rebuild and the East - RT building need to happen). I also understand that it takes a while to fill new commercial space but I sure did see lots of vacancy (e.g. the empty slots at the office space between Spectrum and Sycamore).

Theres a scoop in this if people read closely. lol

47 minutes ago, kermit said:

After returning from a year in London I biked the rail trail and Southend for the first time in a year this morning. I snapped a few photos of the stuff that surprised me.

The new Teeter looks ok, but I mostly got the 'just another strip center' vibe as I rode through the parking lot. The stairs to the rooftop patio above the end space closest to Elmhurst are open so I went to have a look. There is a decent view of uptown but the patio is certainly not a haven from traffic noise. Its not quite finished but it did not give me the warm fuzzies:rooftop .jpg

The old portion of Sedgefield SC (where the BA used to be) feels like it is emptying out -- hopefully it has a limited lifespan.

Hyde brewing looks good (see the beer in Charlotte thread). It dramatically changes the vibe on Griffith and (hopefully) the new rail trail connection will create more activity. I was disappointed that the connection is not bike friendly but I understand that they probably don't want a bunch of bikes cruising through their patio and parking lot.

This new upfit at Griffith and New Bern confused me. It looks great but all the signage indicated it was a church  -- sure its office space as well? Right?

Church.jpg

Townhouses at Youngblood and Poindexter are a _huge_ change on that street.

I was surprised by the lack of change on Dunavant st (behind Junction 9999)

I guess the two level parking deck for the new office building (beside off broadway) looks as good as it can, but its still a crapstorm of wasted space adjacent one of Charlotte's best assets (the rail trail). It could easily be improved by squeezing three shipping container retail spots into the area between the deck and the trail (but I don't think there is enough space). Interesting that they decided to hang banners advertising the businesses along S blvd on the RT fence. Its also frustrating to see the new segments of RT developing on that side of the tracks but they are still disconnected

RT deck.jpg

Its the same as it ever was but the parking lot at Sycamore feels comically large (I know that it accommodates food truck stuff)

Transformer Park (now Edna's Porch) on the RT (at Carson) looks to be complete. I like the design of bench swings and some additional seating but it feels very poorly integrated into its surroundings (maybe its just because it was 9am and empty). Despite design nitpicking I am very glad to see this stuff popping up on the RT.

swings.jpg

Very impressed with the depth of excavation at the DFA building. Glad they spent the money on the below grade parking.

My overall impression was that there was less change than I had expected over the year. There has been some impressive growth along the margins but the core of the area feels much the same (Design Center, Atherton rebuild and the East - RT building need to happen). I also understand that it takes a while to fill new commercial space but I sure did see lots of vacancy (e.g. the empty slots at the office space between Spectrum and Sycamore).

Its nice to be home.

I feel like that rooftop bar at the Harris Teeter will be a great place. Walkable for all those apartments right there and any skyline view will draw a crowd.

• Like 1

On 7/18/2017 at 11:52 AM, kermit said:

I also understand that it takes a while to fill new commercial space but I sure did see lots of vacancy (e.g. the empty slots at the office space between Spectrum and Sycamore).

I missed this initially, but there are only 2 vacant spaces in this building, and they are both getting filled soon (still just office/studio, Yamazaru will remain the only retail/food space in the building). 

Suspect this is old news but....

the Marsh duplexes behind the new teeter have demolition fencing up around them (area bounded by Poindextex, Elmhurst and Oakcrest / Belkshire). 

I think this might be Marsh's first rebuild of its residential space, should I assume townhouses?

The inside of the teeter is a 9 out of 10. Not quite as fancy as the Moorecroft store. They do have a bar with surprisingly decent tap curation. Unfortunately they don't want people to get a beer and take it with them as they shop. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, atlrvr said:

It will be 2 midrise apartment buildings.  I believe a small amount of retail closest to the teeter.

Interesting.

The first big density increase for the Sedgefield portion of South blvd.

All of the sudden the S blvd light rail maintenance facility (and adjacent bus facility) is starting to look like very underutilized land.

• Like 1