SouthEnd Midrise Projects

atlrvr

19 hours ago, Ryan20 said:

Can you elaborate? Do you not like the designs of the building or the layouts?

The site planning.  Charlotte zoning requires open space and a few other oddities for townhomes + NCDOT has issues with how driveways are constructed + our city land parcels and street grid is not really divided into sections that work well dimension-ally for efficient unit placing, car parking and pedestrian access.  Add all this up and you end up with a lot of weird townhomes with front doors facing adjacent property sideyards, depressing autocourts, and semi suburban street presence.  All this I sum up as "convoluted" feeling because few of the current townhome developments feel like they fit.... either with their neighborhood, or even their own site.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, archiham04 said:

The site planning.  Charlotte zoning requires open space and a few other oddities for townhomes + NCDOT has issues with how driveways are constructed + our city land parcels and street grid is not really divided into sections that work well dimension-ally for efficient unit placing, car parking and pedestrian access.  Add all this up and you end up with a lot of weird townhomes with front doors facing adjacent property sideyards, depressing autocourts, and semi suburban street presence.  All this I sum up as "convoluted" feeling because few of the current townhome developments feel like they fit.... either with their neighborhood, or even their own site.

I know about a townhouse development in the works that has to work themselves around a duke high voltage tower easement, that plan will give you a aneurism when you see it.

On ‎8‎/‎4‎/‎2017 at 8:55 AM, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

I don't know whether to take this seriously or not. Either is an upzone, a microunit building or perhaps just taller than expected and loft style. The units seem to be drawn as 400 sq feet. Guess time will tell. Pleasantly surprised with the 30k+ of retail. Annoyed with the parking lot, though its shielded nicely from the street.

Screen Shot 2017-08-04 at 8.52.17 AM.png

Building elevations posted in Accela. The street level units appear to be a mix of lofts/commercial space and traditional multifamily on the third floor and up.

8-22-2017 2-36-41 PM.png

Capture.PNG

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, AP3 said:

Building elevations posted in Accela. The street level units appear to be a mix of lofts/commercial space and traditional multifamily on the third floor and up.

8-22-2017 2-36-41 PM.png

Capture.PNG

I admire their panache. Going to be a tough sell over there for that much retail.

Just now, KJHburg said:

Southern Tier Brewery is going into the Bowers Fiber redevelopment in lower South End (LoSE) They are taking 28,000 sq ft. http://www.charlotteobserver.com/news/business/biz-columns-blogs/development/article169142407.html?utm_content=buffera1891&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=buffer

Only bad thing about this, king of a walk from all the other breweries and bars in this area.

39 minutes ago, AP3 said:

I think he meant the walk from triple c/Hyde? Would be nice to have more development between New Bern and Scaleybark to make the trek on the rail trail more inviting and less industrial.

The walk from New Bern should feel much better once (if?) the Scalybark commercial stuff ever gets built and if the envisioned railtrail /park improvements happen around the CATS facility. Unfortunately the QT will always be there tormenting pedestrians. Sometimes I hate the planners in this town...  

• Like 1

While they removed the switch connecting the blue line to the trolly barn and the Tremont ave trolly stop they also  started taking out track. I am sad to see the spur and trolly barn connection go but I suspect this is the beginning of the badly needed rail trail part deaux.

The trolly station roof really could be re-purposed into a shelter and way point on the trail.

IMG_0028.JPG

Edited by kermit
  • Like 3

It was rezoned back in 08 under a general TOD, so no associated site plan, although you can pull the approved plan in accela. They've had the deal under contract for well over a year and finally closed last month and demo is underway on the two industrial buildings on the site. 

• Like 1