atlrvr

SouthEnd Midrise Projects

4456 posts in this topic

The current wave of Townhouse site planning is so convoluted... this is certainly better than most, but man, can't someone get it right?

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


5 hours ago, archiham04 said:

The current wave of Townhouse site planning is so convoluted... this is certainly better than most, but man, can't someone get it right?

Can you elaborate? Do you not like the designs of the building or the layouts?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, Ryan20 said:

Can you elaborate? Do you not like the designs of the building or the layouts?

The site planning.  Charlotte zoning requires open space and a few other oddities for townhomes + NCDOT has issues with how driveways are constructed + our city land parcels and street grid is not really divided into sections that work well dimension-ally for efficient unit placing, car parking and pedestrian access.  Add all this up and you end up with a lot of weird townhomes with front doors facing adjacent property sideyards, depressing autocourts, and semi suburban street presence.  All this I sum up as "convoluted" feeling because few of the current townhome developments feel like they fit.... either with their neighborhood, or even their own site.

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's unfortunate because townhomes can fit a grid extremely well when appropriately site-planned. They're one of the most urban forms of housing, and extremely beautiful when well done (Georgetown in DC or, really, a big chunk of Philadelphia).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, archiham04 said:

The site planning.  Charlotte zoning requires open space and a few other oddities for townhomes + NCDOT has issues with how driveways are constructed + our city land parcels and street grid is not really divided into sections that work well dimension-ally for efficient unit placing, car parking and pedestrian access.  Add all this up and you end up with a lot of weird townhomes with front doors facing adjacent property sideyards, depressing autocourts, and semi suburban street presence.  All this I sum up as "convoluted" feeling because few of the current townhome developments feel like they fit.... either with their neighborhood, or even their own site.

I know about a townhouse development in the works that has to work themselves around a duke high voltage tower easement, that plan will give you a aneurism when you see it.

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.