SouthEnd Midrise Projects

atlrvr

13 hours ago, Hunted said:

I think they should color-code each line and future line. They should be blue for the Blueline, red for future Redline, and so on. That would be a pretty cool concept. Does anyone know of any other rail system in the world that does anything like that?

Sorry, I’m being a jackass again.

LA

Chicago

Boston

DC Metro

DART

MARTA

METRORail Houston

ummm, I’m sure there are some other ones. Those jump out to me.  All use color coded lines.

11 minutes ago, SouthEndCLT811 said:

I read it more as color coding the PED crossing as in the newly painted green crosswalks along the blue line, when maybe it should have been a blue crosswalk, then red line PED crossings would be red and so on.  Maybe not, just didn't take it the same way.

Ah crap.  Well then I’m an idiot.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

More details about the RailYard in this Business Journal article like 100 bike lockers for example.  Says no tenants but of course we are hearing otherwise.  Probably means not ready to announce yet.  https://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/news/2017/11/14/beacon-partners-breaks-ground-on-the-railyard.html?ana=e_ae_set1&s=article_du&ed=2017-11-14&u=oAaDx%2B74FoP4qOJ%2By4AU6dhJPpc&t=1510700887&j=79172961

• Like 1

On 11/12/2017 at 6:18 PM, norm21499 said:

Why were the crosswalks painted green?

On 11/13/2017 at 1:09 PM, Spartan said:

It's part of an effort at the City to make pedestrian crossings safer and add emphasis to places that have high volumes of pedestrians and cyclists that are not at standard intersections. You'll see them all a long the rail trail eventually, and at a few greenway crossings over time. It's the same stuff that's used for the green bike lanes to highlight areas where cyclists and drivers should be alert for each other (the industry term for it is "conflict zones").

Green made sense at the Tremont intersection, where i believe it first appeared.  The green really emphasized the route rail trail users should take when crossing over Tremont and highlighted the crosswalk for cars coming from West Tremont and Camden Ave.  

Uniformity and sale on green paint .  

11 hours ago, SouthEndCLT811 said:

I read it more as color coding the PED crossing as in the newly painted green crosswalks along the blue line, when maybe it should have been a blue crosswalk, then red line PED crossings would be red and so on.  Maybe not, just didn't take it the same way.

Yes, that’s what I meant. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
Drive by shots today various South End South Blvd projects: 1. Atherton Mill apartments and shops  2. Bainbridge apartments forget their name  3. Lennar apartments at Pepsi plant site. 
IMG_3563.thumb.JPG.fd73d0867e887b46deeec2a24485cf95.JPG
IMG_3564.thumb.JPG.4bc1f0289493972347eb31a36165e7b5.JPG
IMG_3565.thumb.JPG.f3e9646214e9dab88a29847333c3c60d.JPG

This area will never feel Urban until they bury these utilities and get rid of the planting strips.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Power lines maybe buried in Dukes plan . As for planting strips they are  not going away pretty sure.  Too much traffic on South Blvd and Camden Ave will be the strolling shopping street not South Blvd.  Actually with crazy drivers in Charlotte I want a strip of trees or bushes between me and a street like South. 

• Like 1

On 11/14/2017 at 12:01 PM, ah59396 said:

I think they should color-code each line and future line. They should be blue for the Blueline, red for future Redline, and so on. That would be a pretty cool concept. Does anyone know of any other rail system in the world that does anything like that?

In Singapore, all of the MRT stations have "guide lines" on the walls which lead you to the elevator/escalator/stairs that you need to use in order to catch a particular train from a particular station. I can't find a good picture -- nobody seems to take photos in the "in-between" corridors -- but you can see two of the signs here:

mrt-station.jpg

These are typically matched by color coding high on the walls or on columns (as with the red on the column here).

11 hours ago, KJHburg said:

Power lines maybe buried in Dukes plan . As for planting strips they are  not going away pretty sure.  Too much traffic on South Blvd and Camden Ave will be the strolling shopping street not South Blvd.  Actually with crazy drivers in Charlotte I want a strip of trees or bushes between me and a street like South. 

Yeah, I agree that the planting strips probably wont be going away anytime soon (although i wish we would have less of them), but they can at least make them more urban in nature like what the City did at Scaleybark Station at the corner of South Blvd and Whitton Street.  Another good example would be Camden Gallery in South End. 

Camden.jpg

Scaleybark.jpg

Edited by jtmonk
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, jtmonk said:

Yeah, I agree that the planting strips probably wont be going away anytime soon (although i wish we would have less of them), but they can at least make them more urban in nature like what the City did at Scaleybark Station at the corner of South Blvd and Whitton Street.  Another good example would be Camden Gallery in South End. 

Camden.jpg

Scaleybark.jpg

I hate these planting strips. I think Camden is a travesty. They took 22 feet of sidewalk and left only 6-8 feet of it navigable. Throw in tree wells with decorative grates, that way you can at least pass slow walkers between the trees. Remove all that other crap and have some decent sized patios along Camden for christ sakes.

Edited by Guest

2 minutes ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

I hate these planting strips. I think Camden is a travesty. They left 6-8 feet of navigable sidewalk.

I think it is wonderful, and it allows for the sidewalks to evolve as demand rises, but right now, it feels more welcoming/enjoyable to walk down Camden then down Church St!

There really should be a "disagree" emoji in place of "downvote"...

Sorry, maybe I should have better explained myself.  When I said that I would like for Charlotte to have less planting strips what I really mean is the I wish that Charlotte had less of the suburban style planting strips that you see with so many of these new developments.  There are so many different things you can do to a planting strip to make it more urban and interact with pedestrians better while creating a nice buffer from traffic.  Not only that, I help with storm water runoff in the city I work for and there are all sorts of water gardens that you can incorporate with these strips to help the environment.  Other things we are incorporating into our ordinance is requiring more more evergreen trees within the strips instead of broad leaf trees, this helps keeps drainage clear during the fall. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

I hate these planting strips. I think Camden is a travesty. They took 22 feet of sidewalk and left only 6-8 feet of it navigable. Throw in tree wells with decorative grates, that way you can at least pass slow walkers between the trees. Remove all that other crap and have some decent sized patios along Camden for christ sakes.

I agree with you on that aspect, they should have used more of this space for the sidewalk but this is still 10 times better than most of the crap these developers are putting up.