SouthEnd Midrise Projects

atlrvr

1 hour ago, Mgelbach said:

Didn't know where to post his because it's not a midrise,

This is an all-encompassing South End thread, with the exception of projects large enough to warrant their own threads (e.g., Railyard, DF building, etc.). We've had the discussion about this thread having a misleading title multiple times. There are people in favor of leaving it as is and changing it. I'm 100% in favor of changing it. Your confusion could have been easily avoided.

• Thanks 2

On 4/23/2018 at 5:35 PM, JacksonH said:

People in Charlotte who complain about their lost identity ought to take a short road trip over to Gastonia and see what holding on to that lost identity gets you.

Or even Winston-Salem. As nice as some parts of that city are, they used to be the largest in NC and were the headquarters of major companies. Now... they're fifth in population, behind Durham (which has embraced a new identity).

• Like 1

5 hours ago, asthasr said:

Or even Winston-Salem. As nice as some parts of that city are, they used to be the largest in NC and were the headquarters of major companies. Now... they're fifth in population, behind Durham (which has embraced a new identity).

Not following you one this.  Winston has done a great job at both holding on to its past/identity and establishing and embracing new industry in the City.  See the IQ district downtown as a great example of this https://www.innovationquarter.com/  .  Yes, you are correct that Winston is no longer the largest city in NC, but it hasn't stopped growing either, it's a very vibrant city.

Back to topic, what are the plans for the Phat Burrito location?  

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, jtmonk said:

Not following you one this.  Winston has done a great job at both holding on to its past/identity and establishing and embracing new industry in the City.  See the IQ district downtown as a great example of this https://www.innovationquarter.com/  .  Yes, you are correct that Winston is no longer the largest city in NC, but it hasn't stopped growing either, it's a very vibrant city.

I'm not saying that they've utterly failed. Lived there for a few years. Still visit with some regularity. I like Winston-Salem overall... but they are definitely not where they could've been with more visionary leadership a few decades ago.

• Like 2

If you haven’t strolled along the rail trail in a while, the 3 office buildings going up are the perfect scale. Honestly, there’s no need for high rises to make it feel like a true part of a downtown. Just keep adding low rise buildings sprinkled in with a couple of 10 floor office buildings. They tower over everything else. Keep the high rises uptown. 

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, AirNostrumMAD said:

If you haven’t strolled along the rail trail in a while, the 3 office buildings going up are the perfect scale. Honestly, there’s no need for high rises to make it feel like a true part of a downtown. Just keep adding low rise buildings sprinkled in with a couple of 10 floor office buildings. They tower over everything else. Keep the high rises uptown. 

Hawkins Tower just got submitted to the City, so we will be adding a very skinny 15 floor building by the end of summer right behind Design Center. Should be about the height of Ashton, maybe a hair taller. 

Edited by Guest

5 hours ago, AirNostrumMAD said:

While I don't particularly care whether or not high rises get spread throughout South End, I would like to see a couple decently tall (20+ floors) residential towers abutting I-277 on the South End side to create a cool canyon effect for motorists. Nothing really beyond the first couple blocks of South End when entering from the north, though.

I think that'd be a fantastic location and wouldn't really detract from any vision of South End. it'd just be a slight breach of Uptown into South End, but I think it'd look great. The lots I speak of, bounded by College to the East, Carson to the South, Mint to the West, and I-277 to the North, definitely have the real estate to achieve this.

Just a personal vision.

• Like 3

^^^ I believe those $900k plus Weekley Carson townhomes will be blocked by a high rise on the diner site or the strip club or Charlotte Cigar club site.  I noticed one of the ones purchased was the corner one which will have a view of uptown down Tryon at an angle. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, jordan704 said:

Not sure what’s worse the power lines, the  architecture, or south boulevard (the road). I’m going to go with the power lines. 

90A53479-EDD1-4086-9160-1A44FFE8B1AD.jpeg

I never notice power lines in person like I do pictures.

But IMO, that building is stunning at night with its light features. Very cosmopolitan. That area in general just looks very lovely and cosmopolitan to me at night. 

Edited by AirNostrumMAD
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, jordan704 said:

Not sure what’s worse the power lines, the  architecture, or south boulevard (the road). I’m going to go with the power lines. 

90A53479-EDD1-4086-9160-1A44FFE8B1AD.jpeg

My GOD, this is awful. Seriously, I can't even laugh. Something needs to be done about the spider web of powerlines over Charlotte.