SouthEnd Midrise Projects

atlrvr

Couple of observations from this morning. I don't pass through here every day so I'm not sure if this is old new to everyone.

The parking lot at 1100 S. Tryon is now closed so I imagine this is gearing up to get started. I'm quite disappointed that this premier intersection will end up with stick built apartments. On a positive note residents will have plenty of entertainment across the street, for whatever that's worth.

A small portion of the Phat Burrito facade has been removed. I don't remember hearing but is this just a renovation or are we expecting a teardown and rebuild?

While driving south on Tryon I couldn't help but wonder if the 15 story Design Center building be visible from say Carson or Bland or will it be blocked by DFA due to perspective?

17 minutes ago, go_vertical said:

A small portion of the Phat Burrito facade has been removed. I don't remember hearing but is this just a renovation or are we expecting a teardown and rebuild?

The Phat Burrito portion is being saved, but the Charlotte Post piece of the building is being torn down to make way for some parking spots.  The Phat Burrito is being converted into a Flower Child, a chain from out west.

5-10-2018 12-18-44 PM.png

5-10-2018 12-20-16 PM.png

Edited by AP3
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Sad 1

29 minutes ago, AP3 said:

The Phat Burrito portion is being saved, but the Charlotte Post piece of the building is being torn down to make way for some parking spots.  The Phat Burrito is being converted into a Flower Child, a chain from out west.

5-10-2018 12-18-44 PM.png

5-10-2018 12-20-16 PM.png

I gotta ask. @AirNostrumMAD why the downvote on this one?  This is actually a slam dunk project, minus the trendy chain. They actually will be tearing down Phat Burrito and Rebuilding a slightly larger building in its footprint btw.

Edited by Guest

23 hours ago, Crucial_Infra said:

I know it's not South End, but I'd contribute to take down Circa by the ballpark for sure. Gonna need to if we're ever to expand that park. 

Edit it to add: I say "we" only as a Charlottean in spirit as I haven't lived there in 20+ years. 

Plenty of us aren't actually living in the CLT city limits oreventhe metro. But all who consider themselves "Charlotteans" in spirit are good here.

That'd actually be a pretty sound investment regardless of what they do with the land considering it's proximity to the BB&T and the Bank of America stadiums.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

I gotta ask. @AirNostrumMAD why the downvote on this one?  This is actually a slam dunk project, minus the trendy chain. They actually will be tearing down Phat Burrito and Rebuilding a slightly larger building in its footprint btw.

Parking lot.  Too bad they can’t lease some spots from Dimensional Space.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, AirNostrumMAD said:

Its a net positive in my opinion. There used to be parking, and a big ugly dumpster at the corner of Park & Camden, now that will be a large patio and public space, with the parking lot behind. They will also be tying this project seamlessly into the rail trail, and improving its interaction. Currently the trail is just a sidewalk, the public space, along with the patio will literally flow into the trail. Thats a big win. I'd love for there to be no parking, but good luck getting that through zoning, especially with the previous owner citing "parking" as a reason for closing. (in reality I think it was him being fed up with running a restaurant, for about 2 years.)

Green is public space before. Yellow is public space being added. This kind of project will define the Rail Trail. 

Screen Shot 2018-05-10 at 1.03.42 PM.png

Edited by Guest

3 minutes ago, AirNostrumMAD said:

I do hope they incorporate the old facade with the new building.  Whatever they end up doing, I think it is an improvement for the area. 

As for the down vote, I see people using it for two purposes on here.  One is to down vote the person for what they said, for what they believe in, or to discredit their input (discrediting their reputation on the site), the second reason is to down vote the actually content provided, like AirNostrumMAD just did because they do not like the parking lot.  AirNostrumMAD isn't trying to discredit AP3's reputation on here but that's what it can look like to some people.  This has caused some confusion and tension here as we saw earlier this week on another thread.  We need to be careful how we down vote, and if we do we may need to explain the reasoning so people don't get upset. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, jtmonk said:

I do hope they incorporate the old facade with the new building.  Whatever they end up doing, I think it is an improvement for the area. 

As for the down vote, I see people using it for two purposes on here.  One is to down vote the person for what they said, for what they believe in, or to discredit their input (discrediting their reputation on the site), the second reason is to down vote the actually content provided, like AirNostrumMAD just did because they do not like the parking lot.  AirNostrumMAD isn't trying to discredit AP3's reputation on here but that's what it can look like to some people.  This has caused some confusion and tension here as we saw earlier this week on another thread.  We need to be careful how we down vote, and if we do we may need to explain the reasoning so people don't get upset. 

The older buildings that have been drastically underutilized will be saved. The little cinderblock Phat burrito will be rebuilt, to code, and slightly larger. 

12 minutes ago, jtmonk said:

One is to down vote the person for what they said, for what they believe in, or to discredit their input (discrediting their reputation on the site), the second reason is to down vote the actually content provided, like AirNostrumMAD just did because they do not like the parking lot.  AirNostrumMAD isn't trying to discredit AP3's reputation on here but that's what it can look like to some people.

I agree with this assessment and I would love to have a quick "Disagree" (maybe thumbs-down) without the "Downvote" aspect..

I've asked this before, but can UP site mods add an extra reaction that does not mean "Downvote" in the sense "I want to report you"???

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Scribe said:

I agree with this assessment and I would love to have a quick "Disagree" (maybe thumbs-down) without the "Downvote" aspect..

I've asked this before, but can UP site mods add an extra reaction that does not mean "Downvote" in the sense "I want to report you"???

Yeah. Hopefully people don’t take downvotes as anything personal :p I don’t know if it counts as a negative so I just removed it because I wouldn’t want someone to look like they have bad info or something when I just don’t like a 14 space parking lot, lol.

But I still dislike the parking lot and feel like they could’ve leased 12 parking lots from across the street. Not sure if the investors would’ve agreed but. Even if it’s necessary, bleh. 

Edited by AirNostrumMAD
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, AirNostrumMAD said:

Yeah. Hopefully people don’t take downvotes as anything personal :p I don’t know if it counts as a negative so I just removed it.

But I still dislike the parking lot and feel like they could’ve leased 12 parking lots from across the street. Not sure if the investors would’ve agreed but. Even if it’s necessary, bleh. 

The deck across the street will be public, but only after hours, and weekends. Theres parking requirements for this project unfortunately. I think there is 12,000 sq feet of leasable space between all of the buildings Asana is leasing over there, so you end up with 1:1000, and thus 12 parking spaces.

32 minutes ago, Scribe said:

24.3 steps away from the Bland Station light rail stop... makes perfect sense... ;)

So I agree that this parking is kind of useless but in a lot of ways the Blue Line is useless to many of us too. I’m a huge proponent of it and am happy to see my tax dollars at work but...I never ride it. Living in Elizabeth I either have to drive to a station - which why would I bother to do that when I could just drive to my destination at that point or I could walk .8 miles to the Gold line (in hopes that it is working) and then deal with 15 minute headways to transfer to the Blue line and deal with those 10 minute (best case scenario) headways.  I’m looking at at least 35, but likely 45,  minutes of travel time to get somewhere I can drive to in 10 minutes. But I’m lazy and hate to fight for parking so I never go to SouthEnd. All this to say if businesses in SouthEnd want a little traffic from neighborhoods off the Blue Line a few parking spaces isn’t unreasonable. Parking deck spaces would be a great option but it sounds like those aren’t available during daytime hours. 

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, sakami said:

But I’m lazy and hate to fight for parking so I never go to SouthEnd. All this to say if businesses in SouthEnd want a little traffic from neighborhoods off the Blue Line a few parking spaces isn’t unreasonable.

During peak hours it would not matter if they doubled the parking, you would still be circling around "fighting" for parking. Then what? add more parking?

I think it is time to start changing habits instead of piling more parking withing spitting distance of a light-rail station. From Elizabeth a bike ride to Blue Line is ~8 minutes (I've found Lime/Spin to be all over the neighborhood)!

Hey if Lime and the City figure out the scooter thing you could ride effortlessly on an electric scooter ;)

Edited by Scribe
  • Like 2

17 minutes ago, Scribe said:

During peak hours it would not matter if they doubled the parking, you would still be circling around "fighting" for parking. Then what? add more parking?

I think it is time to start changing habits instead of piling more parking withing spitting distance of a light-rail station. From Elizabeth a bike ride to Blue Line is ~8 minutes (I've found Lime/Spin to be all over the neighborhood)!

Hey if Lime and the City figure out the scooter thing you could ride effortlessly on an electric scooter ;)

Right, so I’m not a good example because I just won’t ever go there (anytime of day) because I won’t fight for parking anytime. I also have 3 small kids who can’t all ride bikes yet (and nap, and do all the other things small kids do) so bike rides across town aren’t quite an option yet. They would loooove to ride the train but again, it is a fair amount of work/time to get on it. Once the Gold Line is actually functioning in a few years that would make it a much more viable option. Alas those electric scooters don’t have sidecars yet so still not an option for me. 

ETA there are lots and lots of families, more specifically moms like me, who just avoid parts of town simply because we have multiple kids in tow trying to go places. I desperately wish our public transportation was better and our streets more walkable so I could drive less. 

Edited by sakami
  • Like 4

2 minutes ago, sakami said:

Right, so I’m not a good example because I just won’t ever go there (anytime of day) because I won’t fight for parking anytime. I also have 3 small kids who can’t all ride bikes yet (and nap, and do all the other things small kids do) so bike rides across town aren’t quite an option yet. They would loooove to ride the train but again, it is a fair amount of work/time to get on it. Once the Gold Line is actually functioning in a few years that would make it a much more viable option. Alas those electric scooters don’t have sidecars yet so still not an option for me.

Then why make that statement about more parking if you'd never go there anyway?

For instance, I hear this line of thought from folks living in South Park and Ballantyne area all the time. But there the argument has even less merit.

They can drive to any of the park and ride stations on the blue line and not fight for any parking  (except during morning commute) take the family/friends out without worrying where to park in SouthEnd and enjoy the evening. SouthEnd with the help of the Rail Trail has become an amazing walking destination within the city, why mess with it by placing a parking lot right next to a station?

This is a knock on the zoning rules not on Asana, they don't have much say. Even if Asana asked for a variance, the city wouldn't give it to them, because then every schmuck 5 miles away would attempt to get a similar variance on their projects...

2 hours ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

The approved plans show the existing building being utilized with a small addition on the side.. did I miss something?  It says existing building on the site plan too.

1 minute ago, AP3 said:

The approved plans show the existing building being utilized with a small addition on the side.. did I miss something?  It says existing building on the site plan too.

maybe I'm wrong, but thats what I heard. I'll ask the guy in charge :-)

3 hours ago, AP3 said:

The Phat Burrito is being converted into a Flower Child, a chain from out west.

I'm excited to see this added to the neighborhood. It is a good healthy concept with a reasonable price. Since SouthEnd has become a hub of several fried chicken places, gastropubs, biscuits, french fries, fried pickles, eating tons of chips, etc... it will be nice to have a place to go out where you can get a full meal that tastes good without resorting to 1,200 calories for a dinner. The neighborhood could def use more healthy options like this. 

Edited by CLT2014
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, CLT2014 said:

Flower Child, a chain from out west.

Looks like a massive expansion by them... 7 out of 16 locations listed on their site are "opening soon" and Charlotte is not even listed on their site...

Look forward to trying it out!

Also, if you look at the site plan and compare it to what is there now, it looks as if this is a DECREASE in parking.  There's a total of 24ish spaces there now, after there will only be 14 spaces.  Someone correct me if I'm wrong. 

Parking.jpg

Edited by jtmonk

^^ And the parking lot that is being turned into a patio is an absolute disaster.  Cars hop up on the sidewalk to swing in there and its always a big mess.   I've almost been run over on that sidewalk more times than I can count.  The rail trail expansion and an open patio on this lot make this such a net positive for this spot.   Tearing down a building the size of garage that is in terrible shape to put in a few more parking spaces where a parking lot already exists, shouldn't be thought of as a loss for the neighborhood.  Also, keeping a lot there means that the mural on the side of the Art Gallery won't be lost.

23 minutes ago, jtmonk said:

Also, if you look at the site plan and compare it to what is there now, it looks as if this is a DECREASE in parking.  There's a total of 24ish spaces there now, after there will only be 14 spaces.  Someone correct me if I'm wrong. 

Parking.jpg

Maybe I just can’t read site plans :p 

I thought a little brick building was coming down or something 

44 minutes ago, Scribe said:

Then why make that statement about more parking if you'd never go there anyway?

For instance, I hear this line of thought from folks living in South Park and Ballantyne area all the time. But there the argument has even less merit.

They can drive to any of the park and ride stations on the blue line and not fight for any parking  (except during morning commute) take the family/friends out without worrying where to park in SouthEnd and enjoy the evening. SouthEnd with the help of the Rail Trail has become an amazing walking destination within the city, why mess with it by placing a parking lot right next to a station?

This is a knock on the zoning rules not on Asana, they don't have much say. Even if Asana asked for a variance, the city wouldn't give it to them, because then every schmuck 5 miles away would attempt to get a similar variance on their projects...

Because I can understand why some people would want to drive there, and that businesses don’t want to rely solely on customers who can get there on the train at this point in time. Every trip to SouthEnd can’t be a “destination”, maybe people want to try and pop in there for lunch and don’t have 1.5  hours of travel time to do it. And parking already existed within this parcel right? I’m not advocating for adding parking to this site, or advocating for much of anything  

And yes the Rail Trail is magical, the few times I’ve been out there really have been lovely. 

My closest park and ride is over 4 Miles away meaning I could  literally drive past Flower Child to get to one. So again for me until the East/West transit gets more widespread SouthEnd is a lot of work to get to and I don’t find those 12 spaces particularly unreasonable. I just looked at the menu and Flower Child sounds good, maybe I would be open to trying to go there and hope for a parking space. 

• Like 2