SouthEnd Midrise Projects

atlrvr

28 minutes ago, JorgiPorgi said:

Traffic on 277 allowed me to snap this. 

E87DFC41-5B51-4293-A200-56DFD89499DE.jpeg

Dude, my dad is going to flip when panthers season starts, he tends to somehow not notice buildings being built until I'm around. Despite the fact he built them for a living for more than 50 years.

Edited by Guest

58 minutes ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

Dude, my dad is going to flip when panthers season starts, he tends to somehow not notice buildings being built until I'm around. Despite the fact he built them for a living for more than 50 years.

Yeah- September of this year will look much different than November of last year for sure.

• Like 1

On 6/5/2018 at 8:02 PM, JorgiPorgi said:

Yeah- September of this year will look much different than November of last year for sure.

I hadn't been down South Boulevard in a MONTH or two and I did a doubletake at the speed of some of the projects coming along. 

Would anyone care to elaborate on two things:

-How do you believe Development in Noda/Optimist Park areas will be different from that along Southend?  I'm sure the low residential population of Southend 10 years ago plays some factor.

-Why do you you believe Development has not really blossomed as much (as Southend) along the remainder of the BLE from Tyvola Station down to 485?

Question 2 first:  New development is organically moving down Blue Line from Scaleybark to 485.   the new Arrowood Station development with many townhomes is a great start.  A long abandoned Walmart store at the same station will be turned into office space.  So growth is happening but I remember when development stopped really around Tremont Ave then it spread much further south to Scaleybark.  It will continue to move outward in the future just takes time and it will move organically to the next station to Woodlawn then Tyvola then there is Archdale then further south.   

Question 1:  everywhere between 277 loop uptown along BLE to Sugar Creek will be great changed in the next 5 years.  We are already seeing it happening and I call N Brevard St the street to watch as so much development mainly apartments are coming. But you have Thompkins Mill not even opened yet and 2 new apartment complexes around it.  Then at the Parkwood, 25th station all the way up to Sugar Creek.  This area will develop first then people will look at the huge mostly vacant shopping centers near Old Concord station and build a mixed use project there.  In fact there are larger single owner tracts of properties north that will be developed over time.  However it moves organically north from Uptown south from Sugar Creek station.  Then watch the next corridor from Sugar Creek to Univ City Blvd change.  From there it is already rapidly redeveloping in the university area stations.

• Like 4

Would anyone care to elaborate on two things:
-How do you believe Development in Noda/Optimist Park areas will be different from that along Southend?  I'm sure the low residential population of Southend 10 years ago plays some factor.
-Why do you you believe Development has not really blossomed as much (as Southend) along the remainder of the BLE from Tyvola Station down to 485?

1. It has no choice but to be different. N. Davidson is very different from South Blvd. connectivity to Tryon is nonexistent. A lot needs to change in NoDa, or its in for a world of hurt traffic wise, should it develop like SouthEnd. Developers will recognize this.

NoDa proper/cbd itself has room for one more project the size of Mercury or NoVel NoDa, maybe two. I think there will be more retail and way more townhouse development, duplex, triplex,etc. will developers a whole lot different. More like Wilmore.

It’ll take a developer with very deep pockets to displace the single family infrastructure.

Optimist Park is the Wild West however, almost all the homes were 1980s habitat for humanity homes, where it’s not homes, it’s light industrial, all folks ready to sell for the right price, this could be your “LoSo” same with Between Craighead and Sugar Creek.

I think “NoDa” will develop its own semi urban suburbs. I just worry with The lack of UDO it’ll never even feel like a cohesive place. 12th to Jordan will be completely unrecognizable in 7 years. Traffic will be awful, epic proportions.

2. Stand at Woodlawn and South, tell me anyone wants to live there, or anywhere further. Might as well be pineville.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, Matthew.Brendan said:

$900k townhomes will sell but we can’t get any condos uptown ....

those 900k townhomes are nearly 3,000 sq feet. The Condos downtown would be 600k for 500 sq feet, thats why we haven't gotten condos downtown.  This is only slightly hyperbole. It might be more like 600k for 600 sq feet or 700 sq feet, but you get the idea. Highrise buildings with massive parking structures aren't cheap.

Edited by Guest

The townhouse market is the developer sweetspot  dujour (replacing apartments). There is huge unmet demand for intown residential (see all of the handwringing about the local real estate market such as in the observer today) and some developers have figured out that townhouses are a sure bet for awkward infill parcels. 

A shortage of housing is gonna be the thing that shuts down the urban boom -- this  (e.g. high prices) is what stalled growth in New York, San Francisco etc.). Lets not let that happen to Charlotte.

We need more townhouses (thousands more) soon!

Wilmore will see a few dozen around West and Mint soon. The Gold District may see a few. Bryant Park and Charlotte Pipe (any hope of them selling this cycle?) could be the home to several thousand new townhouses.

Edited by kermit
  • Like 4

^^ Shea has a rezoning for 50 townhomes near Savona Mill and I agree townhomes are key to affordability in town.  Ryan is doing great with their townhomes in Oakhurst and in Lower Lower South End Arrowood Station is selling townhomes like hotcakes right at the station. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KJHburg said:

it appears all the Weekley $900K plus townhomes are sold but the last 3

IMG_9967.JPG

I appreciate the traditional look of the Weekly townhomes in the midst of all this boxy, modern sameness. Hoping their quick sale sparks a few more traditional structures in the area.

If I had the money, I would have purchased one of these and waved politely at the strippers heading in to work every night across the street. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

Check out the sweet 3D walk through

Minewhile we are supposed to sit idly by while they throw Dallas skylines in windows and from the rooftop