SouthEnd Midrise Projects

atlrvr

What about a MLB stadium?

The BOA stadium has a footprint of 15 acres and the surrounding area is an additional 11 acres. So theoretically, you could put both stadiums here and have high rise mixed use development abutting them. Or you could have a massive development along with just one or the other.

This is such a large, contiguous tract of land. Something good better go here.

• Like 1

I say this would be a good place for a stadium built for the 2027 or 2031 PanAm games that would be converted to a 35k-39k seat MLB stadium for the Major League expansion team that Charlotte will [hopefully] get awarded.  Build the Pan Am village on site and convert the housing for the athletes into mixed income dwellings with some TBD number of affordable units.  Add in some apartment wrapped parking decks and an entertainment zone like the Battery at Sun Trust Park in Atlanta.

As for the Panthers, keep them right where they are.  If the Panthers need extra revenue they should look at continued renovations to BoA (such as sideline suites) and building an entertainment/shopping district on the excess land around the stadium (like the shopping district outside Gillette stadium).  Bank of America stadium is, IMHO, the football equivalent of Camden Yards;  just like Camden Yards is the ballpark that changed baseball, BoA is the football stadium that changed football.  It was one of the first in the modern era to be constructed specifically for football just like Camden was one of the first modern era "classic" ballparks (i.e. both stepped out of the previously popular multipurpose design), and it was one of the first designed around the fan experience.  Many of the football stadiums that have been constructed since have used BofA as a sort of  blueprint much in the same way many of the baseball stadiums since Camden Yards was constructed have used Camden for the same purpose.  Bank of America stadium is to football what Camden Yards is to baseball.  Analogous to the history of baseball that Camden represents, BofA is the same for football, and it would be a crime against either sport to abandon either stadium.

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, CTiger said:

Do we know what is expected to go here?  Is it going to be an extension of the Sedgefield Shopping Center across the street?  I know apartments are supposed to be developed on the backside . . . 

Most likely mixed use or just multi-family 

https://www.sedgefieldredevelopment.com/sedgefield-redevelopment/

Capture.PNG

• Like 1

1 minute ago, SouthEndCLT811 said:

They've also moved heavy machinery onto parcel C where the apartments are going right behind the new HT shopping center.  Looks like they're moving this right along.

They starting tearing down the duplexes Tuesday...also looks like they are not doing anymore single family in this project. 

Didn't know where else to post this (mods please feel free to move), Google Earth has updated its Charlotte imagery and is date stamped 3/30/2018. Seeing all that is under construction in Southend, Uptown, and all over the city is pretty awesome.

• Like 4

25 minutes ago, Sigma said:

Didn't know where else to post this (mods please feel free to move), Google Earth has updated its Charlotte imagery and is date stamped 3/30/2018. Seeing all that is under construction in Southend, Uptown, and all over the city is pretty awesome.

finally I was tired of looking at the Charlotte Observer building and no 615 South College tower. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

39 minutes ago, Sigma said:

Hmm- I’m still seeing the old imagery and old 3-d images with the Charlotte observer building, etc. 

17 minutes ago, Sigma said:

Its updated on Google Earth. As you can see in the construction site example following, drastic progress is made between 9/2/2017 and 3/30/2018.

DL1.JPG.83ee4208f97866d482c9cc02c09a42e6.JPG

DL2.JPG.5f71ce132e0c6a87c1f8858637d95b70.JPG

ebfb7c1b6113b48c71f3fb783da76b7c--comment-memes-war.jpg

50 minutes ago, JorgiPorgi said:

Maybe I’m missing something here. 3D images are not updated of Charlotte at least on my end. Is that what we are talking about? Or just satellite imagery. Even streetscape is not updated. 

I checked too and did not see any updates.  

Edited by KJHburg
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, JorgiPorgi said:

Maybe I’m missing something here. 3D images are not updated of Charlotte at least on my end. Is that what we are talking about? Or just satellite imagery. Even streetscape is not updated. 

Same here. No update on my end. I'm still seeing the Observer building and Skyhouse I under construction.