SouthEnd Midrise Projects

atlrvr

1 hour ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

Nah. Not a self serve concept. Their MO is to provide world record amount of taps wherever they open. Thats their schtick. This is going to have like 350 beers on tap. It will also have an incredible amount of open spaces to hang out in. 

I wonder who they will contract for the 350+ taps.  Crafty Beer Guys (CBG) out of Huntersville is the big player in this area for building and maintaining taps.

Edited by ChessieCat

The Hosiery Association, the national trade organization starting in 1905, had headquarters here in Charlotte until it was folded into the American Apparel and Footwear Association in 2013. A major part of AAFA is advocacy and lobbying (my terms, not theirs). When I buy athletic socks I look for made in USA and know they are likely made in the South and a good chance in NC.

The Hosiery Technology Center is in Archdale NC and handles knitting technology, sizing standards, testing and training, R&D, new products and other industry issues.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 9/28/2018 at 10:22 AM, tarhoosier said:

What is a beer garden? How does it differ from other names for drinking locations?

I live in Raleigh (home of the Beer Garden), so I'll clear this up for anyone who isn't quite sure. Its name indicates its size. It's roughly halfway between a beer plant and a beer lawn. Jokes aside, I was actually there last night. It's not terribly far from my crib. I've walked there once, but wouldn't recommend walking. There's a Guinness World Record certificate behind one of the many bars there. Not sure about now, but at least at the time of its opening, it broke the record for most beers on tap for any individual establishment.

I can't help but think of all the beer they must throw out regularly because it expires. There's just no way all of those kegs are getting used. Now, obviously they would order smaller kegs for their less popular beers. But SURELY there are some that go without any purchases. I'm guessing they take a loss on some kegs JUST so they can make the claim that they have "x" amount of beers on tap... which also brings in customers. They're probably breaking even overall. Is it worth the waste just to be able to make a claim? 

On 9/29/2018 at 1:08 PM, Hunted said:

I live in Raleigh (home of the Beer Garden), so I'll clear this up for anyone who isn't quite sure. Its name indicates its size. It's roughly halfway between a beer plant and a beer lawn. Jokes aside, I was actually there last night. It's not terribly far from my crib. I've walked there once, but wouldn't recommend walking. There's a Guinness World Record certificate behind one of the many bars there. Not sure about now, but at least at the time of its opening, it broke the record for most beers on tap for any individual establishment.

I can't help but think of all the beer they must throw out regularly because it expires. There's just no way all of those kegs are getting used. Now, obviously they would order smaller kegs for their less popular beers. But SURELY there are some that go without any purchases. I'm guessing they take a loss on some kegs JUST so they can make the claim that they have "x" amount of beers on tap... which also brings in customers. They're probably breaking even overall. Is it worth the waste just to be able to make a claim? 

I have been to Raleigh Beer Garden a few times as well and also wondered how often they throw out kegs. I also have to say, it is the most difficult place to figure out what beer to order I've ever been. You can't read the whole list before it cycles on the tv screen. That said, the bartenders usually somehow have a decent grasp on it, and can point you the right direction. That said, Glenwood has a college bar street vibe unlike anything in Charlotte, if anywhere in NC could survive having this many beer taps its Glenwood South. 

3 hours ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

I have been to Raleigh Beer Garden a few times as well and also wondered how often they throw out kegs. I also have to say, it is the most difficult place to figure out what beer to order I've ever been. You can't read the whole list before it cycles on the tv screen. That said, the bartenders usually somehow have a decent grasp on it, and can point you the right direction. That said, Glenwood has a college bar street vibe unlike anything in Charlotte, if anywhere in NC could survive having this many beer taps its Glenwood South. 

They made some effort to simplify it by separating local NC beers and beers from elsewhere. It still takes a while to figure out what you want, assuming you're there to try something new. Which can lead to a bit of congestion. It's mitigated a bit by the multitudinous amount of bars in there, though. Yes, the TVs can get kind of annoying; however, they have page numbers on them as well as a timer so you know when the page is going to change (I think that's a new feature). Glenwood South is pretty legit considering Raleigh's size. I appreciate the fact that it has a different vibe than Fayetteville St (the main nightlife drag in the downtown area). Glenwood South is growing as well. New residential devs in the area as well as new bars opening every so often. It's a respectable drag and usually the go-to place to take visitors to have a night out.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Hushpuppy321 said:

Southend has a tremendous amount of Midrise residential construction.  Does anyone here think that'll spill over into the Gold District or LoSo first and why?  Lower Southend has a different feel to it as does the Gold District from the main Southend Corridor.

Its already spilling into both, so I think the question is which will it proliferate into more. Personally I'd watch these areas.

image.thumb.png.2ecead2dd7239ac8fd696c098ed3093c.png

image.thumb.png.11f0616a66f5d870d2387884370e0e76.png

I also believe there will come a time when the other two midrise 60k sq foot suburban style southend office buildings will no longer be the best use.

10 minutes ago, Hushpuppy321 said:

I thought that LoSo began more around the New Bern St/Clanton Rd area's down to Old Pineville Rd.  Also - I personally would love to see a much more balanced mix (50/50) of Commercial Development in the Gold District.  It currently has a heavily industrial feel to it.

I think the stated goal of Gold District is anti large scale residential. Its supposed to be small scale stuff. That said, I've interacted a ton with the people who are leading that initiative, and the Gold District feels pretty dead at this time.

2 hours ago, jjwilli said:

Curious to hear more about this... dead how?

Don’t wanna speak for RDF but I would say no leadership, no money, and no plan.

Its just a decent idea which was proposed and then set adrift (like most small area plans in Charlotte).

• Like 2

1 hour ago, kermit said:

Don’t wanna speak for RDF but I would say no leadership, no money, and no plan.

Its just a decent idea which was proposed and then set adrift (like most small area plans in Charlotte).

bingo

Does anyone have the approved plans for the Spectrum (Cable) office building on Morehead and South?  I  can't locate them in Accela, but they are full steam ahead on the facade update.  I am curious to see what else they are doing.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, J-Rob said:

Aside from the random two town-homes that seem to be awkwardly isolated in the middle, I actually like them.  From far away the EIFS is more prevalent, but up close the brick/stone is more dominant, and actually looks pretty sharp.  Also, say what you want about the noise, but it is hard to beat that view or convenience.  It is not an ideal project, but Camden wasn't going to build something to block their own apartments, and something about the economics of building these town-homes as infill feels very urban to me, and maybe more specifically excites me about the continued growth and urbanization of the city we all love.

Yea, I'm actually behind this projet. I think it looks pretty decent. Great color blocking, mostly good materials, fenestration is solid, articulation is okay. Nothing really to hate. Sure theres one awkward mostly blank wall on the far townhouse but that same elevation isn't hideous when facing downtown along Caldwell/South

Edited by Guest

4 hours ago, Jasons0013 said:

These turned out like a turd in a punch bowl.

Welcome to Charlotte.

While I would not want to live there I will say that the project looks pretty great from South Blvd heading north. The elevation drop inside the complex makes it look very ‘organic urban.’  So it gives off a vibe (from a distance) that really isn’t evident in many other places in town.

edit: as a bonus they make 277 less visible from South Blvd, so they help make Southend feel more connected to uptown.

#ACapWouldKickAss

Edited by kermit
  • Like 2