atlrvr

SouthEnd Midrise Projects

2 hours ago, Jasons0013 said:

These turned out like a turd in a punch bowl.

IMG_3990.JPG

These definetely look better up close then from a distance. In fact they fit in quite well when you’re driving past them. Would not want to live there though. 

• Like 3

I’ve talked to a few stakeholders in the area that are less than optimistic this is getting done any time soon. It’s still not funded. 

5 minutes ago, Jayvee said:

I’ve talked to a few stakeholders in the area that are less than optimistic this is getting done any time soon. It’s still not funded. 

Just curious - do you have a ballpark estimate of how much an at-grade pedestrian crossing would cost?  I honestly believe that the crossing would be huge for the retail at Atherton Mill, making me wonder if Crescent would see an incentive in helping pay for the construction.  

33 minutes ago, CTiger said:

Just curious - do you have a ballpark estimate of how much an at-grade pedestrian crossing would cost?  I honestly believe that the crossing would be huge for the retail at Atherton Mill, making me wonder if Crescent would see an incentive in helping pay for the construction.  

$2-4 million

$2-4 million
That is obscene. Why so much?? It's not even a freight RR with absurd costs for flaggers and engineering support. This should come in for less than a million.

They should almost be able to build a pedestrian tunnel under the tracks for the high end of the range you mention.

If it costs that much for an at grade crossing they should just forget it.

I have been told that Publix and Edens are being asked to chip in.  I have also been told that they are designing it to accommodate a platform for a potential future stop.  That might be adding to the cost.

• Like 2

I would also add that construction prices are extremely high right now. Concrete and steel are both through the roof.

I too need to note my concerns on that $4 million price tag. All the pedestrian crossing really needs are 5 standard, precast, concrete panels (the same ones you see at the current stations, I’ll bet CATS has a couple sets in their yard somewhere). Beyond that, do some sidewalk and fence work and add some standard grade crossing signals (certainly less than $200k) and were done. Even with construction costs spikes this is certainly a sub-1 million job.

there is no reason they can’t build the ped crossing at one end of the planned station (without building any of the station). They have needed a ped crossing here for more than five years, get on with it. Save the station work for a transit friendly federal admin, its a perfect TIGER grant (whatever its called now) project.

• Like 2

I would think that there would need to be a gate on both sides to stop pedestrian access when there is traffic.

On 10/9/2018 at 10:06 AM, AP3 said:

Does anyone have the approved plans for the Spectrum (Cable) office building on Morehead and South?  I  can't locate them in Accela, but they are full steam ahead on the facade update.  I am curious to see what else they are doing.

It really is just a complete gut and remodel, including a new facade. I have a close friend very involved with this project. Recently it has been a headache, as you might imagine a building that is effectively open to the elements with two "hurricanes" passing through would be. The building itself still contains a very much active hub for Spectrums network.

On 10/12/2018 at 12:45 PM, CTiger said:

I'm not sure that there needs to be a gate for pedestrians on either side.  There is no gate at the crossing at the end of the rail trail by Morehead.  I have no idea  what protocol is on pedestrian only crossing.

Capture2.PNG

I'm sure this has been complained about/addressed, so excuse me if I'm asking something that has been asked and answered already, but is there any sort of plan to extend the sidewalk here over to Stonewall Station or beyond? I'd love to see wide sidewalks on both sides of the light rail bridge here for pedestrians and cyclists to make their way over 277. Not sure how feasible it would be to extend it beyond Stonewall Station perhaps all the way through Uptown, but it'd be nice to at least be able to make it there. This abrupt ending here is a sad sight.

• Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, CarolinaDaydreamin said:

I'm surprised I haven't seen anyone post on the new spectrum buildings. I'm sure its old news now (Oct. 11) but here is the rendering. I think its interesting how prominent the Legacy Union reflection is in the rendering lol.

963921190_ScreenShot2018-10-16at11_40_27AM.png.bd28e0c4521333c0db08f948476e002f.png

It has its own thread. :-)

1 hour ago, Hunted said:

I'm sure this has been complained about/addressed, so excuse me if I'm asking something that has been asked and answered already, but is there any sort of plan to extend the sidewalk here over to Stonewall Station or beyond? I'd love to see wide sidewalks on both sides of the light rail bridge here for pedestrians and cyclists to make their way over 277. Not sure how feasible it would be to extend it beyond Stonewall Station perhaps all the way through Uptown, but it'd be nice to at least be able to make it there. This abrupt ending here is a sad sight.

Yes there are plans. City Council talked about it back in June.

https://www.charlotteagenda.com/129861/charlotte-rail-trail-bridge/

Edited by ricky_davis_fan_21
  • Thanks 2