SouthEnd Midrise Projects

atlrvr

6 minutes ago, asthasr said:

I'm just an interested amateur, but glad to help! It's a fascinating subject... but I decided not to go to arch school after researching the career prospects if you're not well-connected.

HAHA. Same. I do have a minor in architectural history though ;-)

Blue Hem in Camden Gallery is going out of business and having a liquidation sale.   I can't say I'm too surprised, I never saw a soul in there.  I wouldn't be surprised if a couple other Southend soft goods stores aren't too far away from the same fate either (704 Shop, Girl Tribe, Ultra Running).  I never see any customers in any of them.   I want Southend retail to do well, but I think we still have a ways to go when it comes to soft goods and merchandise.   I think you need a few more boutique shops in the same strip to make it worth anyone's time to actually go shopping there.   

5 minutes ago, CTiger said:

Blue Hem in Camden Gallery is going out of business and having a liquidation sale.   I can't say I'm too surprised, I never saw a soul in there.  I wouldn't be surprised if a couple other Southend soft goods stores aren't too far away from the same fate either (704 Shop, Girl Tribe, Ultra Running).  I never see any customers in any of them.   I want Southend retail to do well, but I think we still have a ways to go when it comes to soft goods and merchandise.   I think you need a few more boutique shops in the same strip to make it worth anyone's time to actually go shopping there.   

Its going to take RailYard, DFA, Spectrum, Beacon, etc opening.

3 minutes ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

Its going to take RailYard, DFA, Spectrum, Beacon, etc opening.

Agreed.  Eventually we will hit that critical mass where people will come to Southend from other neighborhoods to shop.  Right now, all of these shops rely on Southend residents to keep them afloat and the population just can't do it.

Just now, CTiger said:

Agreed.  Eventually we will hit that critical mass where people will come to Southend from other neighborhoods to shop.  Right now, all of these shops rely on Southend residents to keep them afloat and the population just can't do it.

Yea, there needs to be a daytime population, aka office workers.

3 hours ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

Yea, there needs to be a daytime population, aka office workers.

that is part of it for sure but the rents are very high.  To make monthly rental payments on space that costs 30-40$ a sq ft is great.  Some restaurants and very high volume stores can but many independent retailers can't.  Same problem with uptown.  

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, KJHburg said:

that is part of it for sure but the rents are very high.  To make monthly rental payments on space that costs 30-40$ a sq ft is great.  Some restaurants and very high volume stores can but many independent retailers can't.  Same problem with uptown.  

well yes, undoubtably. If you had enough population to buy in that area it'd be completely different though. Those rents become more justifiable. 

17 hours ago, Niner National said:

Keep in mind many of these stores also do online sales. 704 shop in particular seems to have a large following. I see their stuff allnthe time.

Yeah the 704 shop will be fine, they don't have a ton of people in there during the day but they make a ton of online sales. I've been told they frequently sell out online before a product ever hits the floor in the store.

• Like 3

20 hours ago, DavieNative said:

Yeah the 704 shop will be fine, they don't have a ton of people in there during the day but they make a ton of online sales. I've been told they frequently sell out online before a product ever hits the floor in the store.

That doesn't mean it makes sense to keep a brick and mortar store open.  If the vast majority of your sales are online, why would you hemhorrage money on Southend rent?  Thats why I'm saying I wouldn't be surprised to see it close.   Small businesses can't afford to take losses like that every month.

24 minutes ago, JBS said:

Personally, I wish Atherton Mills went to the top with the brick.  It looks fantastic in person.

the original iterations had a mansard roof type feature. MV+A seems to have VEd it do a flat wall after they took over. 

Edited by Guest

One thing that'll definitely help the parking deck out will be the fact that there is still the retail buildings to build out, which will sit closer to the street than the parking deck. If these are handsome enough, we will have a little bit less to complain about. 

atherton3.jpg

3 minutes ago, kermit said:

^ There will still be plenty to complain about. Particularly when you think about what this is blocking.

of course. I mean I'm not happy about it either. I'm pretty livid, but If the street front turns out nice, I'll back down. If we are trying to push good pedestrian scales, you aren't going to see that parking deck while shopping. 

10 minutes ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

of course. I mean I'm not happy about it either. I'm pretty livid, but If the street front turns out nice, I'll back down. If we are trying to push good pedestrian scales, you aren't going to see that parking deck while shopping. 

Dude, come on. Are you part of the revolution or are you just a cog in the gears of capitalism?

(just kidding, I do see your point about pedestrians. Unfortunately I live across the street from this -- I am going to be staring at that gd parking deck till I die)

Edited by kermit