SouthEnd Midrise Projects

atlrvr

I think its safe to say, that what is considered South End, has almost reached its peak for apartments. Maybe a few high rise ones, or condos would be left but this is more than enough in the area. I would love to see a couple more hotels and office buildings.

23 minutes ago, j-man said:

I think its safe to say, that what is considered South End, has almost reached its peak for apartments. Maybe a few high rise ones, or condos would be left but this is more than enough in the area. I would love to see a couple more hotels and office buildings.

Both are coming hotels and office buildings.  Quite a few office building proposals coming from the north end of South End near uptown to the Scaleybark station site.  Dittos for a couple hotels.  

Apartments at peak?  Not yet as office development draws more workers more people will want to live there.  

• Like 4

1 minute ago, KJHburg said:

Both are coming hotels and office buildings.  Quite a few office building proposals coming from the north end of South End near uptown to the Scaleybark station site.  Dittos for a couple hotels.  

Apartments at peak?  Not yet as office development draws more workers more people will want to live there.  

but there are like 2,000 units not even occupied yet and are in the process of being built. lol I just feel like South End is literally the apartment capitol. There are like 10 apartment buildings that touch with no breaks in between. only ground floor retail.  Maybe something like 550 Stonewall would look good somewhere. They have to create more green space. I feel like people in South End take their dogs for walks on concrete, not the grass. Not every single one of those old brick buildings have to be refurbished. A nice outdoor park would create a nice atmosphere there. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, KJHburg said:

There has been a lot built in the past few years but absorbed and leased up.  To make the LYNX investment successful we need lots of people living right by it and I am glad that a huge number of apartments are being built along the LYNX line both north and south.    I do agree there needs to be a Southend park somewhere and I think park planning has not caught up with the fast residential growth.  

Fair enough. And i guess you're right. it makes sense for the investment. But at the same time wouldnt some office towers in SouthEnd be nice so that people who dont live there can ride there. I feel like Uptown is the only "destination" people use the Lightrail for as for going to work.

Edited by j-man
  • Like 2

As I live more than two thousand miles from Charlotte, I really enjoy coming on this site to see the updates.  I'm particularly interested in what's going on in South End, NoDa, Plaza Midwood and UT.  I was in Charlotte over the Christmas holidays and got the opportunity to explore South End a bit last Saturday afternoon.  I got off at the Bland St. Station and walked around the corner over to Camden.  So I saw the Rail Yard for the first time.  I now understand why people here have been speaking so positively about it.  One of the things that struck me about this building is that, in spite of its height, the materials being used in its construction -- the steel and brick -- make it blend in beautifully with the neighborhood.  Kudos to the architects who designed it.  I hope they have great success with it.
Walking south down Camden from the Rail Yard, at the corner next to the Rail Trail and across from Dimensional Place (the "Eat Here" building and  adjoining parking lot), some kind of work is being done there.  I know I read about it before but don't remember what the project was.  I hope it's something else that will help add life and activity.
After walking down Camden we reconnected with the Rail Trail, had breakfast over on E. Blvd., then walked down to Atherton Mill then up to Pike's Soda Shop.  I look forward to seeing Atherton Mill after all the construction is finished.  I peaked inside Pike's and loved the atmosphere in there.  Otherwise, I didn't see much of the Design Center area (didn't have a whole lot of time).  I'm looking forward to when all these projects are completed.  That will probably be a very exciting and cool area of the city.

Glad you had a great time!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

13 hours ago, JacksonH said:

As I live more than two thousand miles from Charlotte, I really enjoy coming on this site to see the updates.  I'm particularly interested in what's going on in South End, NoDa, Plaza Midwood and UT.  I was in Charlotte over the Christmas holidays and got the opportunity to explore South End a bit last Saturday afternoon.  I got off at the Bland St. Station and walked around the corner over to Camden.  So I saw the Rail Yard for the first time.  I now understand why people here have been speaking so positively about it.  One of the things that struck me about this building is that, in spite of its height, the materials being used in its construction -- the steel and brick -- make it blend in beautifully with the neighborhood.  Kudos to the architects who designed it.  I hope they have great success with it.

Walking south down Camden from the Rail Yard, at the corner next to the Rail Trail and across from Dimensional Place (the "Eat Here" building and  adjoining parking lot), some kind of work is being done there.  I know I read about it before but don't remember what the project was.  I hope it's something else that will help add life and activity.

After walking down Camden we reconnected with the Rail Trail, had breakfast over on E. Blvd., then walked down to Atherton Mill then up to Pike's Soda Shop.  I look forward to seeing Atherton Mill after all the construction is finished.  I peaked inside Pike's and loved the atmosphere in there.  Otherwise, I didn't see much of the Design Center area (didn't have a whole lot of time).  I'm looking forward to when all these projects are completed.  That will probably be a very exciting and cool area of the city.

Charlotte Surprises You

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, kermit said:

I think these renderings have been posted here before (my apologies) but a new banner was up at the Marsh Apartments behind the Sedgefield Teeter today.  The deck is essentially complete, framing should start soon. Nothing noteworthy, but I don't hate them. I can also (sorta) tolerate the lack of retail since it is tucked into residential area.

https://www.marshproperties.com/community/edgesedgefield/#

image.png.9d1bb81126da432eb5a2c890acdecf6b.png

Marsh has to be making a killing right after turning all of those old duplexes into luxury townhomes?

45 minutes ago, kermit said:

I think these renderings have been posted here before (my apologies) but a new banner was up at the Marsh Apartments behind the Sedgefield Teeter today.  The deck is essentially complete, framing should start soon. Nothing noteworthy, but I don't hate them. I can also (sorta) tolerate the lack of retail since it is tucked into residential area.

https://www.marshproperties.com/community/edgesedgefield/#

image.png.9d1bb81126da432eb5a2c890acdecf6b.png

I like these. I think they will look nice in that location. As long as nothing is value engineered out. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, atlrvr said:

^^^ This project makes me the most sad, just because it's a huge missed opportunity on an A++ location.  The irony is that it's probably going to be one of the best new apartment communities in South End, at least aesthetically, and I'd be really excited if it were anywhere else, especially 1 block west replacing that trajedy there.

Yea I definitely agree, I would have much rather this had been 1000 South Tryon by Trinity. Its a shame they didn't move forward, especially since they only missed the commercial boom by what, 2 years? My theory is they dropped 1000 South Tryon because they realized they'd have an empty 400 South Tryon to fill by 2022. Duke was already talking to Crescent about Tryon Place by the time 1000 South Tryon came out.

image.thumb.png.025cd26a42fe4981da9beec71bef585b.png

image.thumb.png.69f391c1061cae96e2a3a3eae00fc44d.png

image.thumb.png.3dc14cbd512de00f32437d9072033fa1.png

Yes that 1000 building was going be beautiful.  That site that close to uptown was best suited for office but oh well.  That investor that is building those apartments must be loving life they will have office buildings to south and north of them.  It was too early in the office boom unfortunately and I did not think Beacon had the where for all then to do it.  Though they did start Railyard on spec after they sold lots of their warehouses around town.   

• Like 3