SouthEnd Midrise Projects

atlrvr

7 minutes ago, JoshuaDrown said:

Can someone smarter than me help me understand this quote from the article?

“We really like the long- term viability of shadow-anchored retail projects in fortress locations with internet resistant tenant mixes much like what we’re going to create here,” says Wes McAdams, managing partner of Abacus Capital.

Atherton is the Shadow Anchor, their goal is to feed off of Atherton. Its basically this project's anchor despite being across a busy street. I have no fudging clue what a fortress location is though.

24 minutes ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

Atherton is the Shadow Anchor, their goal is to feed off of Atherton. Its basically this project's anchor despite being across a busy street. I have no fudging clue what a fortress location is though.

Fortress locations to me would mean very high barriers of entry ie it ain't easy to build anything big or significant around it.  

• Thanks 1

Just now, KJHburg said:

Fortress locations to me would mean very high barriers of entry ie it ain't easy to build anything big or significant around it.  

That would make sense. Its not what I would have done with the parcel personally, but I'm happy with this site staying retail for the future.

That is a great document.  Walking around the area over the weekend I feel like the bullet point below is a big miss. Even more so as the Camden Rd area becomes the center and soul of South End. Would be great for the connectivity of that area to South Blvd.

image.png.46bba6fc6cf02fa6b0bffe36196d13cf.png

Is there anything out there like this for the original light rail plan that shows items that were cut due to costs (like the pedestrian bridge over 277)?

23 minutes ago, jjwilli said:

That is a great document.  Walking around the area over the weekend I feel like the bullet point below is a big miss. Even more so as the Camden Rd area becomes the center and soul of South End. Would be great for the connectivity of that area to South Blvd.

image.png.46bba6fc6cf02fa6b0bffe36196d13cf.png

Is there anything out there like this for the original light rail plan that shows items that were cut due to costs (like the pedestrian bridge over 277)?

http://www.charlotterailtrail.org/projects/2015/12/17/kingston-connection

I mean they didn't make a crossing of the rail itself, which isn't an issue because theres a crossing a block in either direction, but at least they connected Kingston to the Rail Trail.

Trains haul through the Atherton / Publix area. Not so much here as the distance from the East / West stop and Bland  isn't far. So maybe only $1 million? I'd rather have the Wilmore South End Park for that price.

All I am saying is that one day that crossing would be nice to have.  And it definitely will be needed when @ricky_davis_fan_21 buys the Miller Services building and turns it into the greatest food hall in the world.  The people who stay at the Holiday Inn will appreciate it.

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, tarhoosier said:

This is the Strawn Village project finally(!) moving forward. The first three photos are at Euclid and Mount Vernon and is the low access point of the entire property. Sewer and/or storm lines installing at this point.

This is at Rensselaer and Cleveland, the second lowest point of the property

Many survey flags on this section of the property for other work.

The Strawn Tower is still occupied and there were people moving in and out representing good occupancy of the tower.

My 2019 Prediction came true! Thank you for these photos.

16 minutes ago, SgtCampsalot said:

Hmmm... it is a lot nice, of course, but oh my goodness that street presence is death. After all the effort that Cresent/ Hotel/ Uptown 550/ Camden townhomes are making on the South Blvd bridge, this building's frontage is still a dead zone.

I think their property line ends at the fence and the government owns the slope. I wish we could put some benches or park like features along this stretch to make it feel more welcoming. 

Edited by CLT2014
  • Like 4