SouthEnd Midrise Projects

atlrvr

7 minutes ago, CLT2014 said:

All the affluent young professionals in South End were supposedly going to ditch their Audi A4, BMW 3-series, Jeep Grand Cherokee, Toyota 4Runner, Toyota Tacoma, and spare Jeep Wrangler with the doors off for weekend driving after they moved to walkable South End, hence parking isn't needed. 

American grocery culture dictates that everyone should go to the  store once a week, buy a cartfull of stuff, and then drive it all home to your massive refrigerator.

Neither of the two Southend grocery stores is well suited to a quick pop in after you get off the train, although the still mythical new station at Publix may help with this

Edited by kermit
  • Like 3

3 minutes ago, kermit said:

American grocery culture dictates that everyone should go to the  store once a week, buy a cartfull of stuff and then drive it home.

Neither of the two Southend grocery stores is well suited to a quick pop in after you get off the train.

Completely agree. Being off busy South Blvd also acts as a wall from the apartments on the other side of the street. I have friends that live in Colonial Reserve literally right across the street from Harris Teeter that fire up the Jeep to drive 110 feet to get their groceries. Often it is a further walk to the car from the front door of the store, but they feel safer doing it that way......

Edited by CLT2014
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3
  • Sad 2

14 minutes ago, CLT2014 said:

All the affluent young professionals in South End were supposedly going to ditch their Audi A4, BMW 3-series, Jeep Grand Cherokee, Toyota 4Runner, Toyota Tacoma, and spare Jeep Wrangler with the doors off for weekend driving after they moved to walkable South End, hence parking isn't needed. 

This is Charlotte not NY. That train won’t get you too much of anywhere in the one line that it travels

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, CLT2014 said:

Any timeline for when the signaled intersection will be created and the lanes re-striped at the parking garage entrance? Still too early for that work to begin?

Sidewalk work at McDonald is moving forward, but slowly. Much to my dismay they did not widen the sidewalks here, still 4  feet. No sign of new signal poles yet.

This is gonna be a big deal for me, the Tremont / South intersection is a pedestrian death trap (tons of red light runners due to the speed there)  I really hope McDonald is better.

1 hour ago, CTiger said:

This would look perhaps a billion times better if they had just done brick all the way to the top.  Ugh.  I wonder what the cost difference would have been.  

This literally was my first thought. The glad they're at least going higher with brick than most buildings these days, but stopped short of the top. Why?! I haven't laid brick in awhile but whatever the price per brick, and there's 7 average to a square foot, times height x width. Plus mortar and labor. There's more but this is a rough estimate. 

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, 11 HouseBZ said:

This literally was my first thought. The glad they're at least going higher with brick than most buildings these days, but stopped short of the top. Why?! I haven't laid brick in awhile but whatever the price per brick, and there's 7 average to a square foot, times height x width. Plus mortar and labor. There's more but this is a rough estimate. 

breaks it up a bit. Its too flat to just be brick, IMHO. It has nearly no articulation. I think the TOD rewrite will keep this from happening again.

4 minutes ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

breaks it up a bit. Its too flat to just be brick, IMHO. It has nearly no articulation. I think the TOD rewrite will keep this from happening again.

Its a good point, but they could have used just about any other material in my opinion.  I just hate that aluminum siding.  It looks like they left their construction trailers up there on accident.  Looks way worse than even EIFS, and I hate EIFS.

Also, I'll try to grab a picture of the Rail Trail side today.  It is 100% aluminum siding and 100% an abomination.

• Like 1

Just now, CTiger said:

Its a good point, but they could have used just about any other material in my opinion.  I just hate that aluminum siding.  It looks like they left their construction trailers up there on accident.  Looks way worse than even EIFS, and I hate EIFS.

Also, I'll try to grab a picture of the Rail Trail side today.  It is 100% aluminum siding and 100% an abomination.

I really think its because the original version had a mansard roof, and this is the watered down modernist version of that. Unfortunately the original renderings seem to have died to the internet.

2 minutes ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

Yeah I guess, but maybe two different brick colors. I'm just a sucker for brick and the skill of an experienced brick layer who can create intricate patterns. It's becoming a lost art. I never got close to that level before going a different career path. Another reason Polk building hurts so bad, because our remaining examples of exemplary brick work are literally disappearing as fast as the skilled masons that can still do it. Looking forward to the new TOD.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, tozmervo said:

This project would look much more sophisticated if the windows were set a little deeper in the wall, too. They are set shallow to save on brick costs. (The mutton pattern in the windows is nice, though.)

Agreed. It'd help with the general impression of flattness too.

God, I hate the siding at the top of the brick building. Not trying to be negative because I like the project for the most part- but that siding looks so cheap. Ugh. 

Talked to the retail developer today, the rail trail is gonna be soooo nice through there. It’s really the first place you will actually want to stop off and explore on the Rail Trail. They studied the high line and they are planning a lot of similar features. I’m very excited.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

23 hours ago, Missmylab4 said:

Translation for KJHburg:

“I dine at Superica multiple times a week, so I can.” 

Thanks and now with a recent picture I can stay on Camden when I dine out and yes some of the wait staff at Superica knows me by name and what I order LOL 

^^^ Now I remember why I dont like to go down South Blvd.  I hate that garage and yes the brick not to top why I would ask?  However no picture but I will get one next week when I am back in town of the Lennar Bradham apartments they look good I think.  Anyone that goes by them take a photo for KJ.    

• Like 3