SouthEnd Midrise Projects

atlrvr

I've always felt that the area bordered by South Mint St, Bland St, and South Blvd should be ripe for high-rise development. There's an existing street grid and not much in the way of residential to restrict heights. It would be nice to see this area become a true extension of downtown. I don't think this has to be a "second skyline" If you look at it from the air now, it doesn't take much imagination to see the space between Arlington and South Tryon going vertical and filling in. 277 presents a natural barrier, but not one that can't be overcome, especially due to the existing grade of it.

Although I know 277 represents a mental and physical border for uptown, aside from it's purpose of moving traffic, I think it actually allows for a creative link between Uptown and S. End that brings some new elements of connectivity, but still splits the two area to set defining, as well as keep the land values of uptown up so that vertical building continues to be implemented. South End is going to be an amazing area in a few years, and I really hope this project on topic is a standard for where development needs to go and how to transform S. End into a unique and definable area that it already has begun emerging as. By the connectivity I mentioned about with 277, it brings a unique and off-level physical landscape that brings layering: roads over roads, hills for unique natural settings, and prime creative development for the capping-off, or even new ideas that will link the two areas by pedestrian scape, buildings, and other transportation connectivity. I've always imagined being able to drive through Charlotte, instead of past Charlotte either on 77 or 277 and being shadowed by skyscrappers on all sides of you.

I've always imagined being able to drive through Charlotte, instead of past Charlotte either on 77 or 277 and being shadowed by skyscrappers on all sides of you.

So have I, sort of a canyon effect if there were 'scrapers on both sides of 277. That is one of my favorite parts about driving through ATL on I-85, passing through the center city at 65 mph with tall buildings, bridges, and other dense development everywhere.

This will not happen if the northern end of SouthEnd is left to follow the model of The Block. There needs to be a transition zone between the UMUD area north of Carson and the TOD capped at 120'. I think a 200' or 300' cap would be fine in that transition zone, but 120' is a bit drastic.

I rode the light rail yesterday and noticed tremendous amount of activity on Circle South End. Is anyone able to take a photo from up high in the area to at least see the footprint they are flattening for building. It just seems they are still doing a plan that keeps much of the buildings away from the street like the plans we all saw for "C".

I rode the light rail yesterday and noticed tremendous amount of activity on Circle South End. Is anyone able to take a photo from up high in the area to at least see the footprint they are flattening for building. It just seems they are still doing a plan that keeps much of the buildings away from the street like the plans we all saw for "C".

That's what I'm afraid of and also what my gut is. This project has been too under the radar since its opposition. I think they are taking the cheap road out and going with what they want to make their largest profit instead of what everyone else wants.

They put up the concrete pouring arm tonight on Ashton S. End. This should mean that things will begin going up even quicker, although I've been impressed with how quickly the first 3 floors have gone up given the complex layout of the floors. Has anyone noticed on the webcam the little triangle cut out floor they added on the third floor on the side along the light trail tracks? Don't remember seeing that in the plans but looks good.

Edited by Andyc545

I was wondering where that came from, atlrvr. You had me scratching my head where I got that from. :)

I read it as 'signed room facade' or something, but I have no clue what that means.

Oh! That actually does make sense. There's a giant metal utility shed on the Millenium building site, I guess they are going to encompass it within the building shell.

Oh! That actually does make sense. There's a giant metal utility shed on the Millenium building site, I guess they are going to encompass it within the building shell.

Yes...this is exactly what is happening....I think the city deeded them so land, or rights to build within the easement, in exchange of incorporating the signal shed into the structure.

Do the geometry proof for me, tozmervo, and show your work. Link 'signed room facade' to 'giant metal utility shed' for us.

well, if we assume that facade = utility && signed = giant ... ah screw it, I guess that's what I get for quoting the wrong post! (I, of course, meant to quote atlrvr :) )

Has anyone noticed on the webcam the little triangle cut out floor they added on the third floor on the side along the light trail tracks? Don't remember seeing that in the plans but looks good.

I think what you are seeing is part of the original plans....what hasn't been built yet is the parking deck that will occupy the space in the "back" of the building.

Does anyone know what type of rents are being proposed for these projects? It seems like they would have to be quite expensive to support this type of design.

I heard Ashton South End is suppose to start in the 1200-1500 dollar range per month for the smallest units closest to the ground but the average 1165 sq ft unit is suppose to be upwards of $2300/month. Of course price depends on height since this will be an 11 story building.

Millenium is $1.50/sq foot for rent. That's $1000-$2100/month.

Yes- these units are very expensive, in my opinion, but may be a bargain for someone coming down from NYC or Chicago.

The Reserve starts at $900/month up to $1800/month but I believe has condominiums to own, also, in the upper $100s to $300's.

Know next to nothing about Circle @ SE

Just a question for the Arlington. Did Gross get UMUD rezoning for this parcel, or did the Park Elevator building already have it before he proposed Big Pink?

From the May 1996 DCDA minutes:

"ParkElevator Building Parking Deck.

Jim Gross has an option to purchase this building and the lot in front. He has filed a rezoning petition for the lot in front of the building to UMUD so that he can build a parking facility on the property. Jonathan asked Mr. Gross to come and talk to the Board about his project. Mr. Gross discussed his developments in SouthEnd including the renovation of the old Lance Building into Factory South. Factory South will have 85 lofts as well as commercial space and has a projected completion date of January, 1997. He has signed two restaurants into this space, Wild Wing and another whose name he did not disclose. As far as the Park Elevator building, Mr Gross has signed tow restaurants new to Charlotte which should take the entire building. The parking deck in front of the building will have approximately 170 spaces and will be four stories with 10,000 feet of retail on the first floor. Current zoning is B-2, however UMUD zoning is needed for the setback which will be necessary to give the deck the same edge as the Lance Building. Mr. Gross will petition the city to abandon Arlington Street and the entrance to the deck will be from Arlington. David Barley made a motion to approve the change in zoning, the motion was seconded by Gerry Smith, and passed unanimously."

End minutes clip>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Unfortunately, the Park Elevator Building was destroyed by fire in February of 1997.

So began the path to the building we see today....

Hmmm. No wonder Dilworth was mad. You just feel the gullability being abused as you read it retrospectively.

Which is one reason, and his lack of profitability in the building and the changes from the original renderings to what is there now which lost most of his original buyers, why you don't see the Gross name on projects any longer. If he is involved he is no longer the front guy. Funny thing, Charlotte is so pro-development that you don't have to screw people, rip them off, or trick them to get something done -- but that was his modus operandi for some reason.

• 3 weeks later...