SouthEnd Midrise Projects

atlrvr

What I really like is that they are realigning Carson with Lexington!!!!

It seems, that the speculation that there might be a freestanding building Carson and Palmer was false, and it looks like they will petition to have Palmer abandoned completely. While, a small separate building would have been pretty interesting, I certainly understand the economics of what they are proposing.

I love those 4 walkup residential spaces that can be accessed by the sidewalk along the light rail as well as the curvature and sidewalk/urban open space. That retail space at the back corner alongside the light rail will be much appreciated and help the Carson Station to be utilized much more.

2inthePink is not going to be very happy, maybe they'll add a hole in the top of the building just for him.

I dig the site plan, I don't like the mass of the building it seems a bit excessive, its unfortunately another charlotte "superblock." I kind of get the idea that there will be some nice curves on the office building, at least by the site plan and "carson station view."

Edited by 83alphaunder

What I really like is that they are realigning Carson with Lexington!!!!

It seems, that the speculation that there might be a freestanding building Carson and Palmer was false, and it looks like they will petition to have Palmer abandoned completely. While, a small separate building would have been pretty interesting, I certainly understand the economics of what they are proposing.

Absolutely! That whole stretch of South is awful for pedestrians (I had to cross there when I road the bus). Having an actual intersection with crosswalks will be excellent, and I am for all restitching of roads - it can only lead to better connectivity across those neighborhoods.

I love all the different uses at the street level, including the townhouse residences. I agree that being a single development for the whole block is not the ideal, the fact that they plan 3 buildings with different uses and retail at the base makes it a very positive move for the area. Given that one tower is now ~20 stories makes it a much better transition around the Arlington although it hurts some skyline views. The miniature village sprouting up there will more than compensate for lost views.

2inthePink is not going to be very happy, maybe they'll add a hole in the top of the building just for him.

I dig the site plan, I don't like the mass of the building it seems a bit excessive, its unfortunately another charlotte "superblock." I kind of get the idea that there will be some nice curves on the office building, at least by the site plan and "carson station view."

You'd be upset too. Anyway, it looks like it's a clear view of downtown for most Arlington residents. The towers appear to be on the South Blvd. side. They even have a green area.

You'd be upset too. Anyway, it looks like it's a clear view of downtown for most Arlington residents. The towers appear to be on the South Blvd. side. They even have a green area.

there are three towers.

Residential spans the light rail side

Hotel is on the front part of the complex facing South Blvd

The Office tower, in all its glory, spand the entire Carson Blvd Side fo the building

At least thats how I interpret the site plan and massing diagrams.

post-19710-1207161914_thumb.jpg

there are three towers.

Residential spans the light rail side

Hotel is on the front part of the complex facing South Blvd

The Office tower, in all its glory, spand the entire Carson Blvd Side fo the building

At least thats how I interpret the site plan and massing diagrams.

post-19710-1207161914_thumb.jpg

The description of the condos is: "four walk up units". There aren't any elevators pictured on the plans.

So it is roughly a 14 story office building along Carson, a 13 story hotel building for part of the South Blvd side, and a 20 story residential tower for part of the Lynx side.

Thanks for the color coding. I was also having a hard time following for some reason.

I'm very glad for the density, and this is very much the type of mixed uses and density we need for this area.

This development keeps getting better all the time! I couldn't agree more with earlier posts about the nightmare that is trying to navigate this area on foot. The realignment of Carson and Lexington is a welcome surprise ...

And really, just about anything on this parcel will be better than what is there now ... :)

I just hope this sets a standard for future developments in S. End and possibly other neighborhoods trying to mimic the urban atmopshere that has been presented here. Maybe not in such massiveness (height, sq footage, and number of buildings), but certainly this represents desirability.

I would really prefer that south of this area will be more along the lines of European-style urbanism, staying under the 120' cap. This site is different as it is a transition area, between the 20-something Arlington and the towers uptown. This is also (as I've said a number of times), adjacent to the zoning that allows unlimited height, so a modest 20 story tower and two smaller buildings stepping down, will be a good height for this site.

I absolutely love how committed they are to provide street-supporting uses. They have residences, a residential tower lobby, a few retail site, a restaurant, a hotel lobby, and an office lobby. That is a very good mixture that will help support activity at various times of day. I suspect that the activity will also help support the retail of the Arlington and some of the other nearby sites.

South End is VERY undeserved in terms of hotels.

Correction: Downtown Charlotte and its first tier neighborhoods are very underserved in terms of hotels. If I was 2inthepink I would be delighted to have a great development that brings more action to my area. It'll be exciting to have so much stuff right on the carson blvd station.

Because most owners of a home doesn't want to live next to a renter, who technically doesn't have any responsibility for the place and is not in charge of upkeep. One bad apple spoils the bunch. Crime is often higher around rentals and property values decrease in a neighborhood that has a high number of rentals regardless of whether it is a good or bad neighborhood.