SouthEnd Midrise Projects

atlrvr

Why's that? Everything between Morehead and West Blvd all the way to 77 is assigned to Dilworth Elementary / A. Graham Middle / MPHS. 

Sort of. The area north of Tremont between South Blvd and 77 (basically Wilmore) is actually West Charlotte HS. 

http://www.cms.k12.nc.us/cmsdepartments/StudentPlacement/Boundary%20Maps/Current%20School%20Year/MyersPark_HS.pdf

Sort of. The area north of Tremont between South Blvd and 77 (basically Wilmore) is actually West Charlotte HS. 

http://www.cms.k12.nc.us/cmsdepartments/StudentPlacement/Boundary%20Maps/Current%20School%20Year/MyersPark_HS.pdf

Strange...didn't realize they cut that little corner from MPHS but include them in Dilworth and AGMS.  Go figure...it's CMS.

(BTW...how absurd it is that kids as far south as Rae and 51 go to MPHS?)

If places are going to get this expensive in SouthEnd, they are going to need to redraw school districts, or you will have a bunch of angry folks, as sad as that is.

^ This. If you look at the districts, that 15 home subdivision by Grandfather just off of Marsh and Park, just barely snuck into the preffered district of the $500k+ buyer. Zoning is why we left once we had our first kid. It's a shame because there is so much great development going on in SE and Sedgefield, but choices.

If places are going to get this expensive in SouthEnd, they are going to need to redraw school districts, or you will have a bunch of angry folks, as sad as that is.

This is very true. I live a coupled blocks away from the Camden/Tryon/Summit intersection. I love this neighborhood and never want to leave. But I have a 9-month old and it's just not going to work with the schools here. We are going to move to SouthPark, as much as I hate leaving this great neighborhood, just so our son can go to a decent school when he gets to be that age. 6 years ago when we moved here from uptown, we thought "by the time we have kids, the schools here will be better." But that is not the case. It has become safer as far as non-violent crimes go, but the school ratings are still horrible, so I have no confidence that it will change in 4 years when my boy will be ready to go to Kindergarten. I really, really love this 'hood. And I never imagined myself in a cul-de-sac neighborhood. But it seems like that is the only type of neighborhood in Charlotte where you can expect your kids to get a good education.

I live a coupled blocks away from the Camden/Tryon/Summit intersection. I love this neighborhood and never want to leave. But I have a 9-month old and it's just not going to work with the schools here. 

Just curious, what's your beef with Dilworth Elementary and/or Alexander Graham Middle? Both schools rate very highly, best I can tell.

Just curious, what's your beef with Dilworth Elementary and/or Alexander Graham Middle? Both schools rate very highly, best I can tell.

^ Was going to ask the same.  Have 1 kid in Dilworth (started 1st grade this morning) and 1 that started Myers Park that went through A.G. 

If you want to use EOG's as a basis, Dilworth last year had 88% proficiency rate per the newsletter we just received for back-to-school, which would make it ~15% higher than Selwyn, Sharon and Beverly Woods elementaries.

A relatively high % of the neighborhood (and Myers Park) send their kids there as opposed to private school, with the kids I know who don't, mainly because their kids are in a language or montessori public magnet. 

I would think people looking for a urban lifestyle but worried about schools would find Southborough or really any of the condo/townhouse communities between Euclid and South to be an ideal compromise.

Well, one reason we are moving is because our townhome isn't very conducive to having a kid. So we are going to be moving even though our current location is assigned to Dilworth Elementary. We need a house with a yard. Most of the properties in the area of Dilworth Elementary are out of budget for what we'd want (4BR, updated). We'd be looking at $800K there, while our budget is about $550K. The houses we've found in the area of Southend that meet our budget and criteria are assigned to Sedgefield Elementary or Ashley Park, which are not so good. There are some in the Dilworth Elementary area that we've looked at, but they would be at the top of our budget and need a lot of work on top of that. But to tell you the truth, I didn't think Dilworth was that great either - on realtor.com, it got a 4/10 rating, but I see reports to the contrary (rating of 9/10) on other websites now that I look. I guess I shouldn't trust realtor.com for good school info.

^I would go a step further and suggest that you not trust much of anything you read on the internet about rankings.  If you are serious about choosing a home based on the school, you need to get some first hand knowledge about the school.  Talk to parents.  Visit a school, volunteer... 

• Like 1

I know planning for school is tough, particularly when your child is so young that it is difficult to imagine how they will adapt to the environment.

My 2 cents as the parent of a 13 year old who has been in CMS is that the choices are generally better than you think once you start to investigate. We had great success with the magnet system. While Dilworth was our home school we got our daughter into Park Road Montessori -- it was spectacular for both parents and kid. Once she was done with elementary we sent her to Piedmont IB Middle (she was at the bottom of the waitlist but through my wife's dilligence and persistence she got in). My wife and I found Piedmont to be a great school, but my daughter didn't really like it for reasons related to her personality and learning preferences, the staff at Piedmont did work with us to address my daughter's unhappiness and we were grateful for that.

Now that I have a 8-9 years of CMS experience under my belt, my impression is that CMS is pretty solid when you find a school with a good foundation -- and there are lots of those east of Tryon st. Our experience has been that the magnet system provides enough choice and flexibility that getting locked into a crappy school is unlikely (your mileage may vary). Even in more mediocre schools there appear to be enough honors/gifted programs that smart kids can do pretty well there -- and these programs appear to be growing (from my perspective) as iffy intown areas continue to gentrify.

Having said all that, the truly awful thing about CMS is the massive standardized testing requirements EOG etc.) that are pushed down fm the state and federal levels. These happen -everywhere- (including Southpark) but you can get your kid exempted from some of it by asking. They can truly sap your child's desire to learn, its those external forces (not the quality of CMS) that may finally make us bite the bullet and fall back on private school. Unfortunately most of those are in the burbs -- go figure.

Edited by kermit

I've been told 1616 Camden is moving forward, there are currently 2 general contractors bidding on the site and additional bidding will commence next week, regarding other portions of the construction.  Camden is going to get DENSE.

Just wait until the Food Truck Lot gets developed and its about to get even crazier in a few months. Think bigger than big. :-)

^ And once the food truck lot goes, I'd like if they could shut down a block of Park Avenue or Camden for Food Truck Friday. I love the event and the area is perfect for it.  Though I know other sections of the city need food trucks too haha

In smaller news in the hood:

Demo is underway on the shook kelley project beside Spectrum. Its only the short L portion of the building that is parallel to the tracks.

Healthy Home is closed, three tenants are left in Sedgefield SC (barber, dog groomer and labor staffing), all of those can vacate quickly. I am not positive they will stay on site but some early demo equipment was being moved to the site this morning. (I am guessing its gear to remove ac units from the roof )

^ How about simply closing down Camden alltogether and having the food trucks park in a row on the street (thinking the LRT side)?

Kinda like Austin, TX closes down 4th and 6th streets on weekends for pedestrian traffic only?  That would be pretty cool if Camden did that every Friday... open container relaxation would be cool too (it's not enforced at Food Truck Friday anyway).

• Like 1

That would be incredible for them to do that on Camden. I've always felt that Camden was/will be the pedestrian capital for the South End, not South Blvd....This would be an amazing step forward. Who can we contact/bother about making this happen?

This is actually part of the rail trail plan, to make Camden more accommodating to food trucks and other events also in the area behind atherton market. 

Hm. One poster says expect an announcement that is big and will add significantly to the density of SouthEnd. And now another poster says the same thing. Interesting. It makes me think tall but I'm hoping it's more massive than tall. Not sure how I feel about tall outside 277 (obviously we already have the pink building, I know. Though I wouldnt complain if that one stalled project That was I think 2 glass towers I want to say infront of the link building because I remember residents complaining of the tower obscuring their view).

Does anyone know if there is any rumblings in the land bound between Tryon & Dunavant where Distribution st. Slices through the middle?