SouthEnd Midrise Projects

atlrvr

The industrial buildings on the south side of Tremont between Hawkins and Tryon just changed hands.....don't know if there is a project to follow, or if the new owners just plan on operating the warehouses as is.

Carolinas Design Center makes the most sense if we are talking tall.  The small surface lot at Worthington and Camden is zoned UMUD (no height limit).

The industrial buildings on the south side of Tremont between Hawkins and Tryon just changed hands.....don't know if there is a project to follow, or if the new owners just plan on operating the warehouses as is.

Carolinas Design Center makes the most sense if we are talking tall.  The small surface lot at Worthington and Camden is zoned UMUD (no height limit).

I've seen a few site plans for the Tremont parcel and the proposed redevelopment. While it's not going to happen tomorrow, there is a lot of potential there being that they have nearly 8 acres and are also considering taking down those parcels fronting Tryon. They are or were also in discussions with a very large national office developer to partner on the site. I'd say it's a ways off, but very possible to materialize. 

Love these little fill in projects in south end. MUCH more exciting than a new apartment complex.

Also, I am sure it has been discussed a million times on here, but saving the looking through each thread.....

Is there a plan (or is it gonna happen) to connect Publix with Spectrum over the LRT? 

Edited by Jayvee

Love these little fill in projects in south end. MUCH more exciting than a new apartment complex.

Also, I am sure it has been discussed a million times on here, but saving the looking through each thread.....

Is there a plan (or is it gonna happen) to connect Publix with Spectrum over the LRT? 

The city has pretty much put its foot down on pedestrian-only grade crossings of the lightrail. A new street crossing was proposed here, pushed mainly by Publix for their delivery trucks, but it would have had to be wide enough to require demolishing this building and was surprisingly expensive anyway. An Iverson extension just south of Spectrum would have made much more sense, but its too late for that now.

So the only future possibility in this stretch is a pedestrian tunnel or bridge, and I'd say that's not going to happen for long time. Since I'll be working over here, I know I'm going to be one of the fence hoppers at lunch time.  

I just can't believe that Publix, Junction 1054 and Spectrum won't all chip in at least 50% of the money for the ped crossing bridge (similar to what exists down at the Sharon Rd West station)and ask the city to match.  The would be plenty of room on the Hawkins side for a long ramp, and maybe a spiral  (like is common in Portland) fon the South Blvd side to be bike and ADA accomodative.

^ Yes, Dunavant, Hawkins and Rampart.

That corner parcel (and the long skinny building just to the west of the grass) has been on the market for a while, I had heard that environmental issues were holding up its sale. Given that, an assembly into the rest of the block does make sense.

Damn I wish something could change on the Brookhill parcel (but I know that it won't)

EDIT: Think about what this area would look like if Cherokee had paid for the infill blue line station they were discussing between Publix and Spectrum.

Edited by kermit

Pardon the ignorance....but what is that parcel (is it Dunavant and Hawkins?) and what would go there???? lol

That whole little section behind Spectrum and Junction is pretty interesting.  It's almost similar to upper South End years ago.  It's a short walk to the Camden Rd area, so I expect several projects to happen there in the next few years, including the conversion just north of Spectrum.

Brookhill was almost redeveloped pre-recession.  The biggest hurdle is that the ground and buildings have a separate ownership, with a long-term ground-lease in place.

That would make a HUGE difference in that area. Those are some of the worst projects I've ever seen.

60 years old and not a tree in the place.

^ Agreed. I used to part time a job with a company who used to have the contract to "fix" up the place. Whoever the management is of the buildings, they're not really willling to let their current cash flow go. So many contractors before us would only piece meal the problems they found. We constantly had to fix their trashy work. The guy I worked for lost the contract because we were too expensive( we were actually fixing everything from complete floors replaced, 20' sections of walls replaced, reroofing, etc which means spending money that they didn't want to or at times couldn't pay). I really don't know how they are allowed to stay open. For instance just about all the apts west of Remus are infested with fleas, cats, and roaches. Border line third world. I literally stepped mid thigh through a floor because it was so rotten, and that was an apt we were not suppose to work on to so they could put it up for rent. This kind of ish happened regularly and they'd just want us to patch over it to cover it up. I guess out of sight, out of mind. Either way, I don't think it'll be developed anytime soon. Business is too lucrative, especially with a month and a half waiting list. Really wish they'd just bulldoze the place.

Land Use site indicates towhomes could be coming to the Kale-Bindex site at the corner of Hawkins and Doggett (existing small industrial building on the south side of Doggett).

Glad to see the part of South End get some life.  Would love to see the massive surface lot for the design center get developed into residential/retail.

• Like 1

Land Use site indicates towhomes could be coming to the Kale-Bindex site at the corner of Hawkins and Doggett (existing small industrial building on the south side of Doggett).

Glad to see the part of South End get some life.  Would love to see the massive surface lot for the design center get developed into residential/retail.

There are a number of these town home projects in the works in these formerly light industrial areas, kinda cool, I think its the only way this district can have a true cohesive feel. 

Inner Peaks is looking to open a South End location in the warehouse on Tryon just south of the gas station next the Brookhill apartments (2220 S Tryon).  Interest location, as the proximity to Brookhill is right next door.

That said, I'm glad to see them opening an urban location.  I bet no one here remembers the old Charlotte Climbing Center that was on Cedar St back in the '90s.  It was cool, but awfully cramped, and Inner Peaks opening made it obsolete.  This new site is pretty big, so it should be an attractive intown alternative.

Inner Peaks is looking to open a South End location in the warehouse on Tryon just south of the gas station next the Brookhill apartments (2220 S Tryon).  Interest location, as the proximity to Brookhill is right next door.

That said, I'm glad to see them opening an urban location.  I bet no one here remembers the old Charlotte Climbing Center that was on Cedar St back in the '90s.  It was cool, but awfully cramped, and Inner Peaks opening made it obsolete.  This new site is pretty big, so it should be an attractive intown alternative.

My Birthday Parties from 12 til 15 were all at the Charlotte Climbing Center, LOVED that place.

redesign of the office building between Off Broadway and Shoppes at Southline, SO MUCH BETTER.

Construction equipment is now on site for this project. Sadly it will be contrasted by the brand new oil change emporium and mattress store across the street.

EDIT: Sorry, false alarm. The equipment appears to be for work going on behind Cannon Pharmacy (the lot just to the North, work is between the tracks and the Pharm parking lot).

I could not get close enough to see, but might it be Blue Line Capacity enhancement project electrical work?

or perhaps a new cell tower.

Edited by kermit

Snapped a few quick pics this weekend, I might need some help identifying some of them:

Quarters and Morehead

TNHqclg.jpg

Quarters at Morehead

56MkqNT.jpg

1100 South Boulevard

1GINBVw.jpg

Camden Southline

3sfNdTN.jpg

Fountains Southend

Wl8fN4y.jpg

Silos Southend

NEV3LNt.jpg

Colonial Reserve

LXLmPxy.jpg

Park and Kingston or Camden Gallery?

jubkFBQ.jpg

Maybe this is Camden Gallery? They all start to look the same after a while.

3XoBTeI.jpg

• Like 4

It appears that Marsh Properties is getting some pushback from "City Council, neighbors and planning staff members" on their plans around Sedgefield SC. Marsh will submit a revised plan and Council will vote on it November 17th (about a month delay from the original plan).

I am getting really annoyed by the people who are reflexively whining about increased density in the South blvd corridor.

http://mecktimes.com/news/2014/09/17/council-seeks-details-on-sedgefield-development/