SouthEnd Midrise Projects

atlrvr

It appears that Marsh Properties is getting some pushback from "City Council, neighbors and planning staff members" on their plans around Sedgefield SC. Marsh will submit a revised plan and Council will vote on it November 17th (about a month delay from the original plan).

I am getting really annoyed by the people who are reflexively whining about increased density in the South blvd corridor.

http://mecktimes.com/news/2014/09/17/council-seeks-details-on-sedgefield-development/

I wish I had a Meck Times Subscription... 

I swear when I was riding the train this morning I saw 2 newly built Elevator shafts on the west side of Fountains @ Southend.

They appeared to be constructed between Foster Ave and the CATS facility.

Did I miss an announcement of a new midlevel apt or Office project back in that area? Does anyone have any info or a link?

I'll Bcycle down there this weekend to take a look and some pics if it actually 'is' anything..

I drove around South Boulevard and South End yesterday.  While the area is going to have a substantial population, it will have it at the expense of good architecture.  There are some truly beastly looking buildings going up (not to mention cheap).  I used to think EFIS was the king of all things anti-architecture, but now I think it's fiberboard and angular corner roof elements found on every single "luxury" apartment currently under construction.  

• Like 2

^ And once the food truck lot goes, I'd like if they could shut down a block of Park Avenue or Camden for Food Truck Friday. I love the event and the area is perfect for it.  Though I know other sections of the city need food trucks too haha

I think Food Trucks more or less prove that there is a market disconnect in the availability and price of retail space for restaurants.    I personally like the variety and low startup costs for Food Truck operators, but it is a truly awful way to build a city, to have medium density housing full of people desperate for food, which our society is filling by way of diesel generators in a sandy lot with massive lines and disposable dishes eaten on the ground or standing while dust storms and exhaust fumes swirl around you.    

Food Truck Friday is interesting because it is an event, but it represents a lot of what is wrong with cities like ours, and newer neighborhoods like SouthEnd with no concern for permanent infrastructure for things like human food intake.  

To me, they are like trucks handing out bottled water after a major storm.  It's no replacement for a permanent system and infrastructure.    

I think the city itself should step in an provide something like hawker centers in Singapore where very small operators can come in and take advantage of basic kitchen and customer seating.   Surely there is a run down ex-industrial warehouse building in the area that could serve that could serve that purpose.   Food Trucks are brilliant for people trying to start a small business with risk of failure more in their operational control versus location.   But clearly this location is now established with a market need, so it is time to take it to the next level.  

I think Food Trucks more or less prove that there is a market disconnect in the availability and price of retail space for restaurants.    I personally like the variety and low startup costs for Food Truck operators, but it is a truly awful way to build a city, to have medium density housing full of people desperate for food, which our society is filling by way of diesel generators in a sandy lot with massive lines and disposable dishes eaten on the ground or standing while dust storms and exhaust fumes swirl around you.    

Food Truck Friday is interesting because it is an event, but it represents a lot of what is wrong with cities like ours, and newer neighborhoods like SouthEnd with no concern for permanent infrastructure for things like human food intake.  

To me, they are like trucks handing out bottled water after a major storm.  It's no replacement for a permanent system and infrastructure.    

I think the city itself should step in an provide something like hawker centers in Singapore where very small operators can come in and take advantage of basic kitchen and customer seating.   Surely there is a run down ex-industrial warehouse building in the area that could serve that could serve that purpose.   Food Trucks are brilliant for people trying to start a small business with risk of failure more in their operational control versus location.   But clearly this location is now established with a market need, so it is time to take it to the next level.  

But I think it also to note, that Food Trucks aren't just a Charlotte thing, they are abundant in almost every major city in the U.S. They are trendy right now, they are all the rage. I don't think it's completely a statement on the current state of affairs. Food trucks are EVERYWHERE in L.A. and I don't think anyone would argue that L.A. doesn't have a ton of permanent infrastructure.

Edited by Jayvee

But I think it also to note, that Food Trucks aren't just a Charlotte thing, they are abundant in almost every major city in the U.S. They are trendy right now, they are all the rage. I don't think it's completely a statement on the current state of affairs. Food trucks are EVERYWHERE in L.A. and I don't think anyone would argue that L.A. doesn't have a ton of permanent infrastructure.

Portland's food truck row is quite the scene. I don't think the food truck owners there could afford to pay the rent in a downtown location.

$390's-$450's, according the website.  

Price isn't right... I couldn't rent it out and make a profit :-(

Also think they are missing a rooftop deck for that price point.

Edited by Guest

What price point do you think it should be at?

Actually knowing that they are 3 bedroom and over 2000 square feet. Around this price. Looks like it has high end finishes. Its just not right for my purpose for buying, as a rental.

It looks like everything else being built but does make that area of town look dense though. I'll take it.. 

Looks a little more like gateway village than the rest of southend... which is good in my book, but I still wish we would get something more unique. Nashville's projects are so much more inspired architecturally than ours, with exception of Crescent. 

Trinity Capital is planning a 14 story, 300k sqft office building at Morehead and Tryon named "1000 Tryon". Some ground floor retail will be included. Not sure how I feel about that massive looking parking deck though.

http://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/blog/real_estate/2014/10/trinity-capital-planning-14-story-office-building.html

EDIT: looks like they need an anchor tenant first. 

Edited by wend28