SouthEnd Midrise Projects

atlrvr

I was wondering if anyone knows what the final plans will be for the light rail access at the publix / camden southline apartments on south blvd? Specifically, is there going to be a walkway over the light rail to Hawkins St? The Stiles flyer for the shop space still shows a "proposed pedestrian walkway" to the Spectrum South End apartments on Hawkins St but I wanted to know if this was finalized? 

http://www.stiles.com/media/com_estateagent/pictures/ea_Shops_at_Southline_Flyer.pdf

Thanks.

Per my resources, there will be no at-grade crossing. There were talks of a fly-over pedestrian bridge, but that was too expensive. Prior discussions of adding a stop here went quiet because most people liked that this was the one stretch where the train could "gather speed". However, I would suspect the conversation for a stop would re-open now that the grocer is coming to fruition.

TP-Website-Image_1000-South-Tryon.png

BTW....I agree that this is the most likely site of the Observer relocation.

I like this look of this building a lot. I hope this is how it turns out. I also hope you're right about this being the new location for the Observer. With them signed on, hopefully that would guarantee the leasing of enough space to get this building built. I'm still skeptical that the Observer will be willing/able to pay the price that a building like this can command in rent.

11 Townhouses. I posted a rendering somewhere in this thread.

http://i184.photobucket.com/albums/x213/nibletodell/ScreenShot2014-08-21at100843PM_zps6c545d85.png

OH! Interesting, I guess I didnt put that together that that is where its going. Very interesting location given that its surrounded by apartments, but very cool in-fill.

OH! Interesting, I guess I didnt put that together that that is where its going. Very interesting location given that its surrounded by apartments, but very cool in-fill.

I really wish as part of the Blue Line, they had expanded Camden all the way down to remount. That way all the parcels along the light rail wouldn't have been so devoid of activity facing the light rail.

Edited by Guest

The rail trail does get use through here, so it isn't totally devoid, but it does make for more of a back door vibe.  At least Hawkins is starting to come of age as more than just a light industrial zone.    I remember when Spectrum was first planned, I was very surprised, but now there is a lot more back there. 

A brief write-up on the Trinity project.   I'm not sure if I just wasn't paying attention or this wasn't mentioned before, but they will have a "multi-family facade" along the front of the parking deck facing Morehead St.  Ground floor retail on the office building too.

http://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/blog/real_estate/2014/11/a-closer-look-at-trinity-capitals-planned-office.html

• Like 3

FYI - Additional rendering found here which also shows residential side of parking deck.

http://www.trinity-partners.com/listing/1000-south-tryon/

Yeah, that was brought up a week ago when we posted about the updated rendering which led to the article.   So we have come full circle as always in our mutually-beneficial BJ relationship.   

It is a shame that they will only do the residential on one side of the deck and not all 3, but I suppose they are mainly trying to capitalize on the skyline view.  

I don't think this project extends all the way back to Carson, so doing multi-family on the south side of the deck may get blocked/abutted by a new building at some point.  I would be disappointed if not build along Winnifred, though it's tought to say conclusively from the renderings or the commentary that is 100% not happening.

Those town homes are moving forward at a clip.  They've got the whole thing fenced off and work on the site is very active.  I actually really like this project.  It's exciting to see how dense Carson is starting to get.  It was a no-man's land just a year ago.  Now you've got the Morehead project butting up to it, these town homes and 1100 South Blvd.  Woo-hoo for density.

Those town homes are moving forward at a clip.  They've got the whole thing fenced off and work on the site is very active.  I actually really like this project.  It's exciting to see how dense Carson is starting to get.  It was a no-man's land just a year ago.  Now you've got the Morehead project butting up to it, these town homes and 1100 South Blvd.  Woo-hoo for density.

Just more people in the area to clog up that Fitness Connection I go to!  Kidding, love the density in the area.  With the Trinity building added to the mix the only parcel left is the old motel/diner site.  I wonder if/when there will be movement on that location.  Wasn't the guy asking like $20M for that land?  Could be way off but I thought it was something like that.

Hopefully with all the new residents we'll also finally see repurpose of the old building that RDF shared a while back.

http://www.urbanplanet.org/forums/index.php/topic/45016-southend-midrise-projects/?p=1313959

We should really have a separate thread for the new bern area. 

I just noticed on Acela that there is a presubmit for this building:

https://www.google.com/maps/place/3229+South+Blvd,+Charlotte,+NC+28209/@35.1959127,-80.8713728,3a,75y,150.53h,77.84t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1sKJRKvAhazR1FQHxMZuwN7A!2e0!4m2!3m1!1s0x88569f138b283993:0x81db4bf93adb809b

It would be demo'd and replaced with a 33,000 sq foot specialty grocer.

We should really have a separate thread for the new bern area. 

I just noticed on Acela that there is a presubmit for this building:

https://www.google.com/maps/place/3229+South+Blvd,+Charlotte,+NC+28209/@35.1959127,-80.8713728,3a,75y,150.53h,77.84t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1sKJRKvAhazR1FQHxMZuwN7A!2e0!4m2!3m1!1s0x88569f138b283993:0x81db4bf93adb809b

It would be demo'd and replaced with a 33,000 sq foot specialty grocer.

yea for a new grocery option!

Boo for bulldozing what little character currently exists on South.

The more things change......

^Don't forget the Food Lion

Edited by kermit

Wonder if a new Trader Joe's is sustainable in that location.  Not sure how 33,000 sqft equates to a grocery store size (full size or smaller).  Either way as someone who is closing on a home over here I'm not disappointed to see this Pawn Store going away.  Figure it was only a matter of time.  Now if that Scaleybark development could get going... :)

• Like 1

Wonder if a new Trader Joe's is sustainable in that location.  Not sure how 33,000 sqft equates to a grocery store size (full size or smaller).  Either way as someone who is closing on a home over here I'm not disappointed to see this Pawn Store going away.  Figure it was only a matter of time.  Now if that Scaleybark development could get going... :)

I got a little more insight from a friend. It will be the same International Based Specialty Grocery Chain that is trying to secure a spot at Tryon Place/ Circle at Stonewall. I'm not at liberty to share the name, but it will be a new concept for the region. The only down side is it'll have 170 front loaded parking spots, suburban style.

I got a little more insight from a friend. It will be the same International Based Specialty Grocery Chain that is trying to secure a spot at Tryon Place/ Circle at Stonewall. I'm not at liberty to share the name, but it will be a new concept for the region. The only down side is it'll have 170 front loaded parking spots, suburban style.

Charlotte planning department fail #5,244.

• Like 1