SouthEnd Midrise Projects

atlrvr

Unless it's not who I think and I'm 95% sure on who it is, I'd hardly consider it a "specialty grocer" unless Aldi is also considered a specialty grocer. 

Heh, Aldi is "special" in its own way. We are all special... 

Edited by Guest

So hypothetically they would have a grocery store in both uptown & SouthEnd?

Hypothetically yes.

I should note that Little is the architect of the project (Tryon Place has same architect) so at least we should expect something pretty good for a grocery store with front loaded parking.

Edited by Guest

Some local business owners have informed me that the Scuba Center/Dog Care complex near the new Publix and Lowe's have been purchased. Not sure if there are plans for redevelopment, but I can't imagine it would last long in it's current layout.

Yes...the Scuba building remains, but gets repurposed into small shop space with some updates...it's better, but not entirely urban.

http://www.siteindexcharlotte.com/photos/CIE/charlotte//Property/45151_104308.pdf

Charlotte Business Journal provided a rendering of the Morningstar Storage project gong up in Southend.  While storage certainly isn't the sexiest of projects, I suppose this could aesthetically be much worse.  Also, is that retail along the base?  I highly doubt it, but it sure looks like it along the Tryon frontage.

post-26833-0-45118600-1418128962_thumb.j

Edited by ah59396

It's probably just the lobby to the facility unfortunately. I agree, it is probably as good as we could hope for an "urban" storage building.

The ones by my house in brooklyn typically have a retail store in them that sells boxes, bubble wrap, and the basics you need for moving. I would guess thats what this will have.

There appears to be a webcam for the Quarters at Morehead project. From the link below, scroll down to the bottom of the page and you'll see what I mean.

http://concretematerialsplacement.com/current-projects/

Looks like there is a webcam on the building on the opposite side on Carson. I'd like to watch the construction on this one. Does anybody know where I can find it?

EDIT: Even Google StreetView shows that there is a camera on the building. 

Edited by NCMike1990
  • Like 1

Charlotte Business Journal provided a rendering of the Morningstar Storage project gong up in Southend.  While storage certainly isn't the sexiest of projects, I suppose this could aesthetically be much worse.  Also, is that retail along the base?  I highly doubt it, but it sure looks like it along the Tryon frontage.

attachicon.gifunknown-600xx1272-848-114-0.jpg

The Morningstar on Park Road (near Seneca)  has several retailers on the ground level.  

• Like 1

Yuck.....soo...Bank of America is relocating their Sedgefield shopping center branch to where the doggy day care is at the corner of Iverson and South...with drive-thru lanes.

Talk about permanently killing what could have been an urban corner.

WHAT?!?!?! 

What the Hell is wrong with City Council.

OK, its the end of the year and everyone's thought turn to prognostication. Since I am awful at prediction I'll ask you guys to do it for me.

What do you think 2015 will bring to Southend?

I see a couple of possibilities (but I have no idea how reasonable these are):

• Big multifamily projects have reached the end of the cycle. The only new residential will be small scale infill like the townhouse project on Carson
  • Commercial projects will pop up -- perhaps with bigger retail components than we have seen before? (is the financing available for that?)

alternatively:

• Southend development will completely stall as development funds continue to shift to uptown and NoDa / Optimist Park / BLE area.
  • Organic redevelopment (like Craft and Sycamore) could then flouish in a slower-growth environment

or:

• multifamily development is merely catching its breath as it waits to see how the current batch of projects gets absorbed.

OK, its the end of the year and everyone's thought turn to prognostication. Since I am awful at prediction I'll ask you guys to do it for me.

• Big multifamily projects have reached the end of the cycle. The only new residential will be small scale infill like the townhouse project on Carson
  • Commercial projects will pop up -- perhaps with bigger retail components than we have seen before? (is the financing available for that?)

alternatively:

• Southend development will completely stall as development funds continue to shift to uptown and NoDa / Optimist Park / BLE area.
  • Organic redevelopment (like Craft and Sycamore) could then flouish in a slower-growth environment

or:

• multifamily development is merely catching its breath as it waits to see how the current batch of projects gets absorbed.

There are 3 or 4 projects in Belmont/Optimist Park just waiting to get announced. FYI.

alternatively:

or:

I think the mega projects in the form of apartments wrapping a deck are mostly over.  There are really only 2.5 sites left that will accomodate that type of project.  I think that financing will be harder until a lot of the projects currently under construction showing leasing success.

1) South/Remount (this site has been under contract twice in the last few years with no current prospects).  The site is a Brownfield site, so that is an issue, but it is clearly the best large apartment site left.

2) Tremont Industrial Park which is the warehouse buildings on the south side of Tremont between Hawkins and Tryon.  Probably would incorporate an office component as well, but futher in the future.

2.5)  Phase II of 330 Tremont

On the smaller (100-150 unit) apartment front, a couple of sites could work:

1) 230-300 W Summit

2) Block bound by W Summit, S Chuch, and Kee

3) Northwest corner of Hawkins and Rampart

4) Southwest corner of Tryon and Bland 

There are also several sites that high-rise apartments could work, but I suspect that the list of large sites would need to be developed first before we see high-rise in South End.  There are 3 sites that I think it works.

1)  Uptown Caberet site

2) Design Center parking lot at Camden/Worthington

3) Greek Isle's parking lot (this site would need an upzoning for high-rise)

^  Also, if you want to count Dilworth, CHA may get serious about redeveloping Strawn Apartments.

I see office properties working at a couple of sites.

1) Design Center parkig lot (between Hawkins and Abbott)

2) Food Truck Friday parking lot

3) Multiple small sites along Dunavant and Industrial, though I suspect these are more "build to suit" projects for specific engineering/construction type firms.

All that said, I see maybe 1 project from each of the above categories being announced in 2015.  I think the predominance will be projects similar to Lumina, so small scale for-sale properties.

There are also a ton of interesting sites  (for instance, the brake shop at the corner of South and Park) that I just don't expect to hit the market anytime soon, so my above list was trying to name sites that are either controlled by developers or where there is a willing seller.

^^^^^

All of that said, I really want the "Gold District" or "Goldie" to take off. Mint St between Palmer and Summit and the area in that area has the best potential for interest urban fabric/small scale/organic growth.

I think this is where most of the retail will go (besides Camden and South) just because retail rents don't justify the cost of new construction, so re-using the existing buildings in the Mint St corridor probably is the most realistic hope for retail.

I don't know if 2015 is the year for Goldie, but I hope so.  Best potential in the city in my opinion for an urban streetscape.

• Like 3