SouthEnd Midrise Projects

atlrvr

I think the mega projects in the form of apartments wrapping a deck are mostly over. There are really only 2.5 sites left that will accomodate that type of project. I think that financing will be harder until a lot of the projects currently under construction showing leasing success.

1) South/Remount (this site has been under contract twice in the last few years with no current prospects). The site is a Brownfield site, so that is an issue, but it is clearly the best large apartment site left.

2) Tremont Industrial Park which is the warehouse buildings on the south side of Tremont between Hawkins and Tryon. Probably would incorporate an office component as well, but futher in the future.

2.5) Phase II of 330 Tremont

On the smaller (100-150 unit) apartment front, a couple of sites could work:

1) 230-300 W Summit

2) Block bound by W Summit, S Chuch, and Kee

3) Northwest corner of Hawkins and Rampart

4) Southwest corner of Tryon and Bland

There are also several sites that high-rise apartments could work, but I suspect that the list of large sites would need to be developed first before we see high-rise in South End. There are 3 sites that I think it works.

1) Uptown Caberet site

2) Design Center parking lot at Camden/Worthington

3) Greek Isle's parking lot (this site would need an upzoning for high-rise)

^ Also, if you want to count Dilworth, CHA may get serious about redeveloping Strawn Apartments.

I see office properties working at a couple of sites.

1) Design Center parkig lot (between Hawkins and Abbott)

2) Food Truck Friday parking lot

3) Multiple small sites along Dunavant and Industrial, though I suspect these are more "build to suit" projects for specific engineering/construction type firms.

All that said, I see maybe 1 project from each of the above categories being announced in 2015. I think the predominance will be projects similar to Lumina, so small scale for-sale properties.

There are also a ton of interesting sites (for instance, the brake shop at the corner of South and Park) that I just don't expect to hit the market anytime soon, so my above list was trying to name sites that are either controlled by developers or where there is a willing seller.

^^^^^

All of that said, I really want the "Gold District" or "Goldie" to take off. Mint St between Palmer and Summit and the area in that area has the best potential for interest urban fabric/small scale/organic growth.

I think this is where most of the retail will go (besides Camden and South) just because retail rents don't justify the cost of new construction, so re-using the existing buildings in the Mint St corridor probably is the most realistic hope for retail.

I don't know if 2015 is the year for Goldie, but I hope so. Best potential in the city in my opinion for an urban streetscape.

2015 will be the year of Belmont and optimist and park wood station projects. These people have to be open for 2017 opening of BLE. I know of 2 townhome projects and one apartment project that will be announced soon. All between birdsong 2.0 and Amelie's. My realtor is really bullish on me buying there but I don't have the stones.

I think your realtor is right about Villa Heights in the area of Parkwood Station and 25th St Station.

I'm less optimistic about the Gold District taking off this year. I would love to see that happen, but I'm having trouble picturing it as a retail district of any sort in the near term without some sort of catalyst - be it a building, street project, or financial arrangement (ie: tax overlay). I think that long term it would be more likely to happen happen as the core part of South End and 3rd Ward get more built out.

https://www.workzonecam.com/projects/edificeinc/1616camden/workzonecam

Holy Crap we got a wall!

In my opinion, 1616 Camden and Camden Gallery, are the TWO MOST IMPORTANT PROJECTS in the entire city. If we got something to happen with the Foodtruck lot, Rail Trail and Design Center Parking lot, these would also qualify as MOST IMPORTANT PROJECTS. SouthEnd is quite possibly the cities only opportunity for an easily done urban shopping district, unless the Gold District takes off, that is.

Edited by Guest

https://www.workzonecam.com/projects/edificeinc/1616camden/workzonecam

Holy Crap we got a wall!

In my opinion, 1616 Camden and Camden Gallery, are the TWO MOST IMPORTANT PROJECTS in the entire city. If we got something to happen with the Foodtruck lot, Rail Trail and Design Center Parking lot, these would also qualify as MOST IMPORTANT PROJECTS. SouthEnd is quite possibly the cities only opportunity for an easily done urban shopping district, unless the Gold District takes off, that is.

That web cam just made me realize how fat I would be if I lived right next to Price's Chicken Coop. 

That web cam just made me realize how fat I would be if I lived right next to Price's Chicken Coop. 

I gained 7 pounds in 5 days there... I just can't live in Charlotte. Too much good food, not enough walking.

Last I heard was February, but their leasing flyer still says January. There's also a BB&T Coming soon sign on the shop space. 

a BANK!?! damn it. I hope to god its just a branch within the grocery store

Edited by Guest

When I closed on a house with BB&T last week I mentioned seeing that sign to my loan officer who said it's not going to be a branch but a 'center' which is a new concept they're trying out.  Still sounds standalone and not part of the store unfortunately.  

Edited by SouthEndCLT811

Took this about a week ago. Getting pretty close to completion, or so it seems:

4SeKazR.jpg

I follow them on Twitter and I must say, their interiors are HORRIBLE. looks like Myers Park High School

Just checked out their FB page and I disagree. The "luxury" apartments that I have lived in were nowhere near as nice as far as finishes go.

sorry, I should clarify... I hate the garish usage of green and white in their common areas. Looks ugly and will be dated very quickly.

Camden Gallery

1200 South

Quarters at Morehead

Camden Southlin/Publix

LOVE The look of Camden Gallery. Its looking really pretty great so far. Just happy it won't be all beige, and it has some interesting architectural elements.