SouthEnd Midrise Projects

atlrvr

General question here: what's the life expectancy of these wood midrises?

Same as any house, as long as its exterior is kept sealed, it suffers no wood rot or termite damage, and the building is well kept up, it could last a century or longer. The only way it doesn't last any longer is a fire, natural disaster, or it just gets replaced. Wood does not make it temporary, and is a viable construction method. Houses have been built with wood framing for hundreds of years. There are wood frame buildings still standing in this country that are from the 1650s.

Edited by Guest

Camden Gallery

1200 South

Quarters at Morehead

Camden Southlin/Publix

I noticed that big old tree along South Blvd. in front of Atherton Mill is missing in that last pic. Has that old tree (or any others) been cut down?

I am talking about this tree. https://maps.google.com/maps?ie=UTF8&ll=35.208733,-80.860054&spn=0.000987,0.002064&t=h&z=20&vpsrc=6&layer=c&cbll=35.208821,-80.860033&panoid=xWUMdaKufQlWuy2lkMh4Sg&cbp=12,324.69,,0,-14.68>

• Thanks 1

Oh man, maybe it was.  I didn't notice that.  I tried to recreate the picture on Google.

https://www.google.com/maps/@35.205221,-80.862733,3a,75y,44.57h,76.15t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1sg7mA8tncktvlwbPpoZjoJw!2e0

That is exactly what I did. I tried to get the Street view from that same vantage point just to be sure I wasn't seeing things. It certainly makes the area feel more open, and you can see more of the skyline now, including the Arlington. Too bad we have too lose those old trees though.

One good thing is those weird, ugly looking trees in front of Camden Southline are now gone. I'm not sure what they're called. I never liked the look of those down that part of South Blvd. Hopefully they plant some better looking trees in their place. I'm sure they will though when the building nears completion.

Edited by NCMike1990
  • Thanks 1

I noticed that big old tree along South Blvd. in front of Atherton Mill is missing in that last pic. Has that old tree (or any others) been cut down?

I am talking about this tree. https://maps.google.com/maps?ie=UTF8&ll=35.208733,-80.860054&spn=0.000987,0.002064&t=h&z=20&vpsrc=6&layer=c&cbll=35.208821,-80.860033&panoid=xWUMdaKufQlWuy2lkMh4Sg&cbp=12,324.69,,0,-14.68>

That tree still exists but is not visible in the picture.

I learned today that a new restaurant is going in the commercial space that's been for lease at the corner of Church and Bland. This is going in directly beside Lumina Townhomes so I thought it might be relevant to this thread. All I know is that a group is working on a lease. If anyone knew anything further I would greatly appreciate any info. 

I learned today that a new restaurant is going in the commercial space that's been for lease at the corner of Church and Bland. This is going in directly beside Lumina Townhomes so I thought it might be relevant to this thread. All I know is that a group is working on a lease. If anyone knew anything further I would greatly appreciate any info. 

Woah. Thats a pretty interesting place for a restaurant. South Church is going to have some of the weirdest restaurant locations that rely on foot traffic.

It will take someone getting hit.  It usually does.

Well there are improvements happening on the Cameron Jarrell Newton Memorial Bridge after he flipped his 1998 Dodge Ram. 

Maybe one of us should photoshop him running in front of a train... That'll scare the city into making a pedestrian bridge.

I can't help but look at this and picture so many people from Spectrum and Junction jumping the fences and crossing the tracks to get to Publix.

I'm going to be working in that warehouse building in the upper right that is currently being re-purposed, and I'll probably be one of those people at least a few times every week. I know they've been through a LOT of back and forth as to solutions for actual street crossings, pedestrian grade crossings, tunnels and bridges. They decided to do nothing, but I think the issue will be highlighted to an extent that it will be impossible to ignore. 

Couldn't the developer of Publix and the owner of those apartments kick in some money to build a pedestrian bridge cross over the light rail tracks? I can't imagine it being that expensive and just think of the added business for them. 

They should partner with the Rail Trail as well. That way it can be a pretty pedestrian bridge.

Couldn't the developer of Publix and the owner of those apartments kick in some money to build a pedestrian bridge cross over the light rail tracks? I can't imagine it being that expensive and just think of the added business for them. 

Bridges can be upwards of $2 million depending on the design and whether or not it needs elevators to meet ADA requirements. I prefer the common sense approach. The most logical and cost-effective solution would be for CATS to allow an at-grade pedestrian crossing in an urban section of the tracks on the longest super-block in South End.

• Like 3

Bridges can be upwards of $2 million depending on the design and whether or not it needs elevators to meet ADA requirements. I prefer the common sense approach. The most logical and cost-effective solution would be for CATS to allow an at-grade pedestrian crossing in an urban section of the tracks on the longest super-block in South End.

I was tweeting to SouthEnd about this whole matter and they raised an interesting point. The cost of a light rail station would be cheaper than a bridge, and probably make more sense. Might seem close, but in all honesty it'd be a little further away than Bland Station to East/West Station.

^  Even at $2mm, I think Publix at $1mm and Spectrum and Junction at $1/2mm apiece, the increase in revenue (at Publix) and average rents (at the apartments) alone make that a profitable investment. 

On the apartment rent side, if they increased revenues $5/month/unit with a 6% cap rate, that's $300,000 (assuming 300 units).  I think these aparment communities are a little bigger than that, so they really only need to charge $6-7 per month to make it profitable to kick in $500k each....I think tenants would pay much more than that if they had a bridge.

On the grocery side, I would assume average grocery cost per person is $4,000.  If they are able to grab 25% additional share of that (given that the new Teeter will be equally as convenient if you have to drive or walk down to Remount) then you are increasing sales by $600k-$700k per year...assuming 10% margin, and again, you have a 6% cap rate on profits, which seems reasonable for the grocery space.

Does anyone know what is going on with the small narrow lot across Carson from the midnight diner? It doesn't look like anything major, just some dirt moving around.

Townhomes

http://www.urbanplanet.org/forums/index.php/topic/45016-southend-midrise-projects/page-125#entry1319466

Edited by MilZ

Even at $2mm, I think Publix at $1mm and Spectrum and Junction at $1/2mm apiece, the increase in revenue (at Publix) and average rents (at the apartments) alone make that a profitable investment. 

On the apartment rent side, if they increased revenues $5/month/unit with a 6% cap rate, that's $300,000 (assuming 300 units).  I think these aparment communities are a little bigger than that, so they really only need to charge $6-7 per month to make it profitable to kick in $500k each....I think tenants would pay much more than that if they had a bridge.

On the grocery side, I would assume average grocery cost per person is $4,000.  If they are able to grab 25% additional share of that (given that the new Teeter will be equally as convenient if you have to drive or walk down to Remount) then you are increasing sales by $600k-$700k per year...assuming 10% margin, and again, you have a 6% cap rate on profits, which seems reasonable for the grocery space.

All great, but look at what ColeJenest & Stone just tweeted @ me

ScreenShot2015-01-13at20751PM_zps03d176b

Edited by Guest