SouthEnd Midrise Projects

atlrvr

Demolition has apparently started on the flower shop building on Summit Ave. This is the site listed as 145 W. Summit Office Project on the development map. Are there details out there for this? Summit has a lot of exciting development opportunities, I hope they are not squandered. 

It's Ferguson Kitchen and Bath. They're relocating from Atherton into a larger freestanding showroom. 

So, that doesn't sound promising. Any redeeming qualities to this project?

A Glass and Brick building that wasn't there before, is pretty redeeming in my opinion. There is a lot in the works in this section of town. Variety is good.

A Glass and Brick building that wasn't there before, is pretty redeeming in my opinion. There is a lot in the works in this section of town. Variety is good.

Yeah I'll welcome better street presence and what will probably be some sidewalk improvements (hopefully the building is attractive), but I still think that simple office/showroom use across the street from what is becoming a decent retail strip is a missed opportunity in this case. 

https://www.workzonecam.com/projects/edificeinc/1616camden/workzonecam

You can start to see the final height of 1616 Camden. There will be about .5 a floor more of height where the skylights will be on the top, you just have to picture that. Pretty great density for the area. Can't wait for this and Camden Gallery to be finished.

Edit: Nevermind, it looks like they designed out the diagonal skylights on top, and added in an awkward square, that sucks, it was one of my favorite parts.

Before

1616-Streetscape.jpg

After

main_1616_center121214438_full.jpg

Edited by Guest

From Accela:

Design Center Charlotte
• Detailed Scope of Work: Redevelopment of majority of block with a retail/multifamily development. Retail along Worthington/Camden. Portion of site is in TOD(M) as well.

The parcel indicated is the surface lot for DCC at the corner of Camden and Worthington.  RAM (owner of the DCC) owns that parcel, and the brick building that has surface parking in front along Worthington, but not the building with Vespa in it at Worthington and Hawkins.  The also own mid-block along West Blvd on the other side of the block, where they once had planned a hotel. 

This could be exciting, because the surface lot has UMUD zoning, so no height restriction!

BTW, this was the original condo and hotel plan for the site back in 2007. 

http://www.dasarchitecture.com/projects/high-100-worthington.asp

• Like 1

^This was one my favorite non-uptown development proposals that didn't survive the great recession... Hopefully this gets resurrected in some form. Though, I'm curious whether they would go apartments given the thousands that about to come online in Southend. Would love for a hotel here...

I guess there was so much happening in 2007 I don't even recall that original project. 

Does the UMUD zoning not still have a height restriction based on relative distance to single family homes?  Or was that just TOD?  

I don't exactly crave a 20 story tower on Camden here, but hopefully with prime SouthEnd land getting more scarce, they may revive something of the 2007 plans.  It is hard to image SouthEnd getting an apartment tower almost as tall as uptown's, but I'm sure they will take advantage of such a prime location and prime zoning rights.  

I really hope there does end up being a hotel component. I know there is Levine Midtown and the bland low-rise hotel planned on the Dilworth side, but it is increasingly bizarre that we have no hotels outside of 277 until Woodlawn (excluding some crappy motels off 85). I would think there would be a ton of pent up demand by now.

Regarding zoning, both TOD and MUDD have 120' limits on height, that a steps down to a 40' limit adjacent to single-family, with a limit moving on a gradiant between 40' and 120' depending on distance froma single family home.  UMUD has no such restrictions, unlimited height regardless of proximity.

As far as apartments go, I know it seems like its getting ridiculous, but this is actually a pretty good site in my opinion, with LRT station across the street, and fantastic views for a tall tower.  I'd suspect to see 15-20 stories here personally, though I do hope the little Vespa shop stays.

I would be disappointed if this turns out to be 5-6 stories wrapping the entire block except the retail/office building at Camden/West.

The Land Use submittal makes no mention of hotel, but do agree that the area probably could support a limited service or boutique hotel....hopefully there is a 2nd phase for their land fronting West Blvd.

By the way, the project at 1200 South Blvd (Carson and South) has some colored panels going up along the Carson frontage. Mostly orange with some red and grey mixed in.  Looks different than the rendering, and different from anything else in Charlotte (sort of looks like a lot of projects in Denver, which isn't a bad thing).  They do have 2 different elevations along South Blvd, with building entrances, and I suppose one day could pop some retail into where parking currently is, but while not as bad as I thought it would be, still feels like a missed opportunity along South to activate the streetscape.

personally, though I do hope the little Vespa shop stays.

Nah I hope they don't keep this building.  It's from after 1950.   :P

Just teasing.

I would be disappointed if this turns out to be 5-6 stories wrapping the entire block except the retail/office building at Camden/West.

I would hope at least for something in the Ashton height range at 10-12 stories.  Still in the goldilocks height for modest density, but not an also-ran apartment building like all the dozens of others with such a key location.

A pretty reliable source told me that the plans are still for a mid-to-high rise of about 13 stories.  They said they were still ironing out the details though.

I'm okay with this, Ashton has nice massing and height. Slightly taller or the same size would be nice. 

Edited by Guest

https://www.workzonecam.com/projects/edificeinc/1616camden/workzonecam

I hadn't noticed this until today, even though I've looked at the renderings, what feels like, 100 times, but 1616 Camden is being built slightly diagonal to the street, instead of parallel. I noticed it on the webcam above first, and was like weird, I swear it was parallel in the renderings, but lo and behold its being built slightly off kilter. Check out the newest renderings. http://www.beacondevelopment.com/uploads/building/space/1616%20Marketing%20Package.pdf

EDIT: WHY ARE THEY NOT BURYING THE DAMN UTILITIES WITH THESE PROJECTS!?!?!?!?

Edited by Guest