SouthEnd Midrise Projects

atlrvr

https://www.workzonecam.com/projects/edificeinc/1616camden/workzonecam

I hadn't noticed this until today, even though I've looked at the renderings, what feels like, 100 times, but 1616 Camden is being built slightly diagonal to the street, instead of parallel. I noticed it on the webcam above first, and was like weird, I swear it was parallel in the renderings, but lo and behold its being built slightly off kilter. Check out the newest renderings. http://www.beacondevelopment.com/uploads/building/space/1616%20Marketing%20Package.pdf

EDIT: WHY ARE THEY NOT BURYING THE DAMN UTILITIES WITH THESE PROJECTS!?!?!?!?

Someone just said "Whoops!"

Take a look at that fitness center! That's going to help someone with their fitness goals....

HAH! Its pretty lame, should have just made it an additional 1k of retail. But at least it makes it less likely another fitness place leases space there... Hopefully at least. Last thing anyone needs is another Crossfit place. 

I hadn't noticed this until today, even though I've looked at the renderings, what feels like, 100 times, but 1616 Camden is being built slightly diagonal to the street, instead of parallel. I noticed it on the webcam above first, and was like weird, I swear it was parallel in the renderings, but lo and behold its being built slightly off kilter. Check out the newest renderings.

Check out page two of the PDF -- it is definitely diagonal in the renderings. No one noticed until the steel went up! Definitely throws you off when you are walking up Camden.

Edited by lewy2000

Check out page two of the PDF -- it is definitely diagonal in the renderings. No one noticed until the steel went up! Definitely throws you off when you are walking up Camden.

Makes it slightly more interesting I suppose. It kind of funnels you straight into Prices Chicken Coop.

It's a nice solution to the lack of outdoor dining space on Camden. Hopefully a restaurant goes there...

https://www.workzonecam.com/projects/edificeinc/1616camden/workzonecam

I hadn't noticed this until today, even though I've looked at the renderings, what feels like, 100 times, but 1616 Camden is being built slightly diagonal to the street, instead of parallel. I noticed it on the webcam above first, and was like weird, I swear it was parallel in the renderings, but lo and behold its being built slightly off kilter. Check out the newest renderings. http://www.beacondevelopment.com/uploads/building/space/1616%20Marketing%20Package.pdf

EDIT: WHY ARE THEY NOT BURYING THE DAMN UTILITIES WITH THESE PROJECTS!?!?!?!?

I noticed that Quarters at Morehead (135 W Morehead) is also being built diagonal to Carson Blvd.  Maybe it's due the fact that well uh, Carson does veer diagonally to the right where Winnifred Street used to be... 

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=135+W+Morehead&hl=en&ll=35.220866,-80.853256&spn=0.000983,0.002064&sll=35.220881,-80.853591&sspn=0.000983,0.002064&doflg=ptk&hnear=135+W+Morehead+St,+Charlotte,+North+Carolina+28202&t=m&z=20

Edited by ChessieCat

I noticed that Quarters at Morehead (135 W Morehead) is also being built diagonal to Carson Blvd.  Maybe it's due the fact that well uh, Carson does veer diagonally to the right where Winnifred Street used to be... 

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=135+W+Morehead&hl=en&ll=35.220866,-80.853256&spn=0.000983,0.002064&sll=35.220881,-80.853591&sspn=0.000983,0.002064&doflg=ptk&hnear=135+W+Morehead+St,+Charlotte,+North+Carolina+28202&t=m&z=20

This business of the buildings not meeting the street is an interesting one about urban form... basically they are plopping a square building down on a odd shaped lot.  The frontage that creates our streetwalll then becomes toothed.  

Is this good or bad?  As an example of a proper odd shaped lot dominated streetwall, I would point to Haywood street in Asheville.  Arguably one of the most urban places in NC.  These properties all have a non-perpenticular property to the street, yet respect the fronatage to create an urban room on the street.  Should we be discouraging the toothed buildings?

This business of the buildings not meeting the street is an interesting one about urban form... basically they are plopping a square building down on a odd shaped lot.  The frontage that creates our streetwalll then becomes toothed.  

Is this good or bad?  As an example of a proper odd shaped lot dominated streetwall, I would point to Haywood street in Asheville.  Arguably one of the most urban places in NC.  These properties all have a non-perpenticular property to the street, yet respect the fronatage to create an urban room on the street.  Should we be discouraging the toothed buildings?

On Haywood Street the Wachovia Wells Fargo "The Well" building directly across from Pritchard Park actually has teeth. Of course that building is a later, fairly hideous, addition. But it doesn't really ruin the street wall effect. Obviously it is done for economic reasons, since it is much easier/cheaper to design buildings with 90 degree corners.  In all, I would say that Some extent of "toothing" is fine. But if you have a really oddly shaped lot then you should at least make an attempt to match the building to it. There are plenty of buildings, even recent buildings, in Charlotte and indeed South End, that achieve this.

what a drool-worthy urban street, sigh, we will never have that.

Also it should be noted that Quarters is not being built as a box, not all of the sides are 90 degrees. See link. It parallels the street behind it.

http://photos.clearskyimages.com/2015-0131-aerial-photos-southend-charlotte-nc/h2dc7acfc#h2dc7acfc

Edited by Guest

I didn't even look at Quarters to be honest.  I was mainly going off of the footprint for 1616.

I actually think 1616 is being built slightly off on purpose. It really does funnel people down the street. The street is 90 degrees there. There is no reason not to build it 90 degrees unless you have some purpose.

In terms of urban design, not having every building front the street at the same angle actually creates an appealing design that draws people down the street. The height limit in DC has created some boring architecture and building designs as builders want to maximize their building footprint, which pushes every building as close to the street as possible. Greater Greater Washington did a great write up on the issue not too long ago. I think having varying setbacks, designs, etc. helps break up buildings from their environment. In terms of urban design, I wish Charlotte would go a bit further with architecture regulations and discourage the full-block buildings that have the same boring architecture for all four walls on a huge block.

http://greatergreaterwashington.org/post/20560/what-would-taller-buildings-mean-for-dcs-architecture/

The description of the grocery store out on South Blvd has been changed to MPG South Boulevard. Since MGP Retail Consulting LLC is the company representing LIDL's site acquisition, I can 100% confirm that this will be Charlotte's first Lidl. I had already heard from a contact of mine that this would be a 33k lidl with parking fronting South Blvd, I just wanted to be 100% certain, now I am. Let the grocery store wars begin.

I actually think 1616 is being built slightly off on purpose. It really does funnel people down the street. The street is 90 degrees there. There is no reason not to build it 90 degrees unless you have some purpose.

I think maybe we are looking at different things...  1616 is at the corner of Kingston and Camden.  Kingston and camden do not intersect at a 90 degree angle.  One of the demolished buildings was similarly oriented to Kingston and had a saw toothed orientation to Camden:

https://www.google.com/maps/@35.2140889,-80.8579538,120m/data=!3m1!1e3 

• Like 1