SouthEnd Midrise Projects

atlrvr

http://files.charlottecentercity.org/Rail-Trail-Pitch-Book-Reduced.pdf

^  It appears no rail trail for that section.  Pagesn 12-13 show the current vision. 

I am still hopeful Camden becomes 1-way going northbound, and Hawkins goes 1-way south bound (at least down to Tremont), though I'm not sure that helps southbound bikers that much.

Yesterday furniture was being moved into the end (rail trail side) slot in the new / remodeled office project between Spectrum and Sycamore. The windows that were put into the building facing Sycamore and the rail trail are a huge improvement to the block.

That's us! Pretty excited to be next to Sycamore, and there is just a ton of life on the rail trail and potential in the neighborhood in general. BTW the front space closest to Hawkins is still expected to be a restaurant, but nobody has signed yet. It will have to be a 5-close type of place though on weekdays because of city parking requirements, so they can only use our parking during non-office hours. 

^  It appears no rail trail for that section.  Pagesn 12-13 show the current vision. 

I am still hopeful Camden becomes 1-way going northbound, and Hawkins goes 1-way south bound (at least down to Tremont), though I'm not sure that helps southbound bikers that much.

Its not very helpful to bikers to be 1-way in either direction...both South Blvd and Tryon are not really feasible options. Currently its one of the most bike friendly streets in town and like kermit said, the rail trail is crowded enough with walkers that its not the best spot for bike commuters anymore. 

Would LOVE to see Camden become a one way, with eventually being closed to traffic all together :)

the rail trail is crowded enough with walkers that its not the best spot for bike commuters anymore. 

I agree with this.  The morning commute is fine, but it's pretty slow to navigate through, pedestrians, dogs, and joggers around 5:30 to 6:00 in the evening.  It might ease up a little bit in the evenings when the summer heat sets in.

So that being said, it's great to see so much activitiy on the rail trail!  I hope it encourages the city to improve pedestrian access in other areas of South End.  I certainly don't blame pedestrians for not wanting to walk their dogs along South Boulevard.

Edited by RugbyPike#11

Would LOVE to see Camden become a one way, with eventually being closed to traffic all together :)

One solution to the bike issue could be to make Camden one way but put a two way protected bike lane on it from Tremont to Tryon (similar to Dearborn st in Chicago)

One solution to the bike issue could be to make Camden one way but put a two way protected bike lane on it from Tremont to Tryon (similar to Dearborn st in Chicago)

I've found that it's so bad from Remount all the way into southend that instead I just take Dunavant and Hawkins until I hit Worthington, then boot back on to Camden.  Easy riding, minimal traffic and no pedestrians.

This picture drives me crazy

https://www.workzonecam.com/projects/edificeinc/1616camden/workzonecam

Does anyone know why Charlotte doesn't require developers to bury power lines? I feel like in the early and mid 2000s, people were required to bury their lines, but here on Camden it is not required. The sidewalks around here are narrow enough already, they should have gotten rid of the power lines immediately at Camden Gallery and 1616 Center.  

My pet peeve.  It wouldn't bother me so much if they would only use existing alleys for above ground utilities (out of sight, out of mind). Residents and businesses of Greenville, SC pay a special fee to bury theirs when possible, and when not, to move utilities to the rear of properties. 

http://www.greenvilleonline.com/article/20131010/NEWS09/310100008/Burying-power-lines-progressing-slowly-Greenville

Edited by Miesian Corners

Some local business owners have informed me that the Scuba Center/Dog Care complex near the new Publix and Lowe's have been purchased. Not sure if there are plans for redevelopment, but I can't imagine it would last long in it's current layout.

So freaking ugly...

http://www.siteindexcharlotte.com/photos/CIE/charlotte//Property/45151_108624.pdf

^ I would be surprised (but impressed) if it was an April fools. I heard it indirectly from folks who have no urban sense (and don't have that kind of humor). While I am sure it wasn't intended as a joke, my source has so little sense of development that I expect some elements of the story could have been misinterpreted.

^  Back in maybe 2005-2006, there were plans to add 2 stories to this building.  I forgot what the use was (either office or condos).  Not sure if the existing structure can handle the additional load, or if they were building a steel frame to supplement it.

If that idea is back in play, I can get excited.  Actually, a condo right there on the 4th floor at that point would be super cool.

My Company is handling the sales for the new townhomes going on Doggett and Hawkins.  Demolition is underway on the current warehouse and the official Launch Party is scheduled for April 30th.

http://www.helixsouthend.com

I've been waiting for this to be announced. Such a great location, I am very interested in purchasing one for Investment. 

EDIT: Your people are very prompt, called me immediately.

Edited by Guest