SouthEnd Midrise Projects

atlrvr

The Silos do look interesting, the only problem with the development is that it's one block away from one of Charlotte's worst public housing projects and a few blocks away from the closest thing to a slum we have in Charlotte; the Brookhill tract.

Are there any plans to bulldoze those terrors? I'm sure it would slice crime rates and be a boon to Wilmore. If a tower is built, I cannot imagine anyone wanting a north-west-ward view.

Those rental units at S. Tryon & Remount Rd. are not public housing they are owned by CD Spangler and have been leased to the company that rents them. The leased for 99 years there is aprox 40 years left on the lease.

Update of Spectrum Apts. on Hawkins St.

post-1289-1214705954_thumb.jpg

After looking at the structure, this is for the parking deck. Its odd that they went steel construction instead of pre-cast concrete panels in most midsrise decks. Anyone offer any insight as to what the advantage of steel are for a parking deck?

The final Citispace at South End building structural frame is nearly complete, but it didn't turn out like their uber-cool original concept showed. It will be LEED certified which is a good thing. This is the new home for McAllister Construction.

post-1289-1214706939_thumb.jpg

In an update.....I reported a while ago that Ryan Homes defaulted on the takedown of The Block at South End property. To clarify, while they were in technical default, they had intentions to continue the project. However, The Boulevard Company decided that they would prefer to sell the remainder of the land to an apartment developer.

This is the proposed apartment community spanning the area between Church and Winnifred sts. and Lincoln St. almost to the Catholic Diocese.

Tentatively 1225 S. Church.

400_Apartment_Multi_Family_for_Urbana_Architectural_Group.jpg

1225_Church_Multi_Family_Miller_Architecture.jpg

Update of Spectrum Apts. on Hawkins St.

After looking at the structure, this is for the parking deck. Its odd that they went steel construction instead of pre-cast concrete panels in most midsrise decks. Anyone offer any insight as to what the advantage of steel are for a parking deck?

Choice of structure for a project like this likely comes down to a combination of market costs and contractor experience. There could be some more subtleties about building code and fire protection, but that's what it usually comes down to.

I much prefer the scale and density to the apartment project compared to The Block. For such a large tract, it sort of seemed shortsighted to have it be entirely townhomes. This should hopefully allow for more people to live there and help support growth in that part of SouthEnd.

In news that has me irritated beyond belief, 3030 South is supposedly planning on making it a gated community....WTF?

I've talked with a couple of residents there about this. Neither of them are happy about it, but their already bad larceny rate crossed the line into house break-ins while people are at home. Its not an action that is being taken lightly.

At least with 3030, you will still have residences opening outside of the gates - it won't have the "walled complex" appearance that so many gated communities have.

I've talked with a couple of residents there about this. Neither of them are happy about it, but their already bad larceny rate crossed the line into house break-ins while people are at home. Its not an action that is being taken lightly.

At least with 3030, you will still have residences opening outside of the gates - it won't have the "walled complex" appearance that so many gated communities have.

I can second that ^ A resident I know over there told me about it last week. They have had a sustained rash of robberies etc over there. She was also not happy about it. As Tozmervo said it not going to be a walled community but either way having a gated development in the heart of TOD and planned connectivity is sad.

Edited by voyager12

So here they are....

07-01-08006.jpg

I love this one... I want it as art in my home...

07-01-08008.jpg

The back, where the movie screen and park will be...

07-01-08004.jpg

I must say, these turned out great! I'm just curious to why they didn't do the construction before putting these up, since they are at risk of getting ruined. The site is all cleared and it looks as if they are staking out the whole first phase. The site is quite large and you can see how the Pointdexter Ext is really going to be beneficial. Overall, I'm glad this project and it's incredible art statement has held on to overcome the bumpy housing-market ride.

Edited by Andyc545

^^I was wondering that too! :silly:

I wonder if the silo that fell was originally designated to be taken down (as I remember only seeing three in the original plans) or if they would have incorporated more art on it as well.

Well there were actually 6 originally, 1 fell and two were taken down, so no I don't think the one that fell was ever part of the design.

No, it's real modular brick with precast stone accents. You can see the some brick in the bottom of the last photo andy posted.

They use an integrated hoist on the scaffolding to jack whole pallets of it up to the level of work.

I think what atlrvr is looking at is the very strange looking reveal/mistake at the corner of the column where the brick meets. I can't figure out what's going on there, either.