SouthEnd Midrise Projects

atlrvr

So I dropped by the new Publix at maybe 8 last night on the way back from Latta Arcade. It was actually the first time I've been IN a Publix location period; pretty much how I'd expected in the way of product offerings, a lot like the newer Ingles in Dallas and Lincolnton, expansive and a lot of choice/care paid to the "made-in-house" departments. Bakery's nice only compared to other comparable mid-to-upper tier grocers, an actual dessertery would best it easily. Word of warning, if you park in one of the two levels under the store bring noseplugs, the smell (I don't know enough about construction to place its source) is overpowering. Hope this leaves fast the more air gets to the materials.

I'm mostly glad it's there. Hard to believe it's the only mega-grocer in South End for the time being, and standing on its corner with the (half)-urban Lowe's next door reminds me how even quasi-regard for spacial issues can make a real "place" out of what are still at heart suburban staples.

I dropped by this morning.  Very nice store.  Customer service was fantastic.  Just like the Publix at Tryon and 485, the stores here are a cut above the ones I've visited in Florida.   

I generally like the layout of the parking, although I worry about the little storefronts along South Blvd.  Would not want to be too negative after just one visit, but I'm having trouble picturing who's opening a shop there.  Hopefully those do not turn into Publix's version of the Lowe's outparcel building.  

The construction workers seemed to just be arriving when I was there, so I did not notice any odd odor in the garage.  Hopefully that was just a temporary problem.

I dropped by this morning.  Very nice store.  Customer service was fantastic.  Just like the Publix at Tryon and 485, the stores here are a cut above the ones I've visited in Florida.   

I generally like the layout of the parking, although I worry about the little storefronts along South Blvd.  Would not want to be too negative after just one visit, but I'm having trouble picturing who's opening a shop there.  Hopefully those do not turn into Publix's version of the Lowe's outparcel building.  

The construction workers seemed to just be arriving when I was there, so I did not notice any odd odor in the garage.  Hopefully that was just a temporary problem.

I didn't know if I should give much credit for the service quality, if it's the first week of opening stores are notorious for going whole-hog and then reigning it in (at least in how many that are on-duty to assist) once their customer base is established. Glad the smell's gone though, if I had to describe it at the time I'd call it "industrial-adhesive meets paint fumes", couldn't be more clearly from freshness.

Maybe since I see heavier / more steady traffic for a food market as opposed to a home-improvement one - plus with both now in business - the storefronts have more chance at profit. Time and an exploding population mass will tell.

I believe an ABC Store is joining the shops out front, at least when I closed on my home the BB&T loan officer moving to that location said that was the rumor (great source haha).  BB&T and ABC store should be safe from much turnover.

I believe an ABC Store is joining the shops out front, at least when I closed on my home the BB&T loan officer moving to that location said that was the rumor (great source haha).  BB&T and ABC store should be safe from much turnover.

An ABC in South End would do ridiculous business. Hope that happens, still waiting for that uptown ABC though  :whistling:  (or are there nonsense laws preventing that?)

Edited by Jayvee

An ABC in South End would do ridiculous business. Hope that happens, still waiting for that uptown ABC though  :whistling:  (or are there nonsense laws preventing that?)

Oh, yeah, if it's an ABC, any worries I might have had are out the window.

It doesn't need to be ground-breaking, it needs to be a neighborhood.  I bank with BB&T, occasionally enjoy an adult beverage, and my younger son gets his hair cut at Great Clips or Super Cuts that currently is further away.  I expect I will use all these places as an added neighborhood amenity.

• Like 1

It doesn't need to be ground-breaking, it needs to be a neighborhood.  I bank with BB&T, occasionally enjoy an adult beverage, and my younger son gets his hair cut at Great Clips or Super Cuts that currently is further away.  I expect I will use all these places as an added neighborhood amenity.

I know, I honestly never expected the retail here to be groundbreaking. The isn't really where I would want destination retail, just more neighborhood support type retail. I think we will start seeing some great urban retail along camden and at Atherton. Every Neighborhood needs all three of these things, especially the ABC Store. I could see myself shopping at the ABC store when I'm in town this July. 

Edited by Guest

I'm hoping there are some finishing steps yet to come, but Quarters at Morehead appears to be getting the beige treatment, unlike the relatively nice white paneling and dark brick seen in the renderings. If what is currently at the corner of Morehead and Church remains, I'll go ahead and say its a new low for southend apartment complexes. 

Your fears are realized.....as far as it stands now (no pics sorry) its just the ugliest yellow/beige siding you'd ever imagine going up on this complex. My girlfriend said "I wouldn't live there just because of how ugly it is" I hope more have this sentiment, it's seriously just terrible.

Yeah, my bad, false alarm. The plans for the colors to be: Spicy Hue, Fiery Brown, Grey Screen and Modest White....phew

Still a sizable step down from the renderings, which involved no vinyl siding as far as I could tell and the white looked more like a metal paneling than what is there now. But yes its a relief if it gets some color. The construction of it is not the worst, but the Carson side looks a lot better at street level than the Morehead side weirdly. 

Still a sizable step down from the renderings, which involved no vinyl siding as far as I could tell and the white looked more like a metal paneling than what is there now. But yes its a relief if it gets some color. The construction of it is not the worst, but the Carson side looks a lot better at street level than the Morehead side weirdly. 

Its actually Hardiplank. The Original Renderings provided online had the appearance of masonry, because of the coloring, however I have a higher resolution version at home that indicates it as Hardiplank, Metal and Stucco, which seems to be right so far (minus the metal)

Edited by Guest

Will Boye interviewed David Furman in the CBJ after he won a vision award, and it was a pretty interesting article. Much of it was about his desire to create projects that help build the community, and his belief that we need to urge developers to up their game when it comes to quality and design.

One of the most interesting parts was the fact that he suggested he had a new SouthEnd project in the works. From what I understand, mid sized, boutique office projects with large amounts of retail are becoming his new passion. So it looks like we might see another 1616 center in southend. Makes me wonder if we finally are about to see the foodtruck lot go. Anyone have insider info?

While I love proper development, I would hate to see the food truck lot go without a replacement. Food Truck Friday's is one of the more popular events in the summer let alone the fact its weekly. It's a concept most cities have now days and we would be regressing if we didn't have a back up. If that were to go away where could they move it to in south end?

If the owners would get on board would the parking lot across from Greek Isles/All American be a big enough spot? The location is certainly prime. Or even the spot at Bland and Tryon

Edited by Jayvee

While I love proper development, I would hate to see the food truck lot go without a replacement. Food Truck Friday's is one of the more popular events in the summer let alone the fact its weekly. It's a concept most cities have now days and we would be regressing if we didn't have a back up. If that were to go away where could they move it to in south end?

If the owners would get on board would the parking lot across from Greek Isles/All American be a big enough spot? The location is certainly prime. Or even the spot at Bland and Tryon

Food trucks don't NEED to be In a dirt lot. Just close off camden every friday to on street parking and line the street with these foodtrucks. Then have people stroll camden, frequent the shops, bars, galleries and restaurants and stop at whatever food truck they want. This is how every food truck Friday I've been to in NYC or San Francisco have been.

Food trucks don't NEED to be In a dirt lot. Just close off camden every friday to on street parking and line the street with these foodtrucks. Then have people stroll camden, frequent the shops, bars, galleries and restaurants and stop at whatever food truck they want. This is how every food truck Friday I've been to in NYC or San Francisco have been.

I will say that Portland, OR uses surface lots for most all of its food trucks.  Even downtown.

I will say that Portland, OR uses surface lots for most all of its food trucks. Even downtown.

And Austin does it in small scattered dirty lots on East 6th. There are hundreds of ways to do it. I think you can make it in more organic and interactive than what is currently there. You just need some city cooperation. It's sponsored by CCCP, I don't think city cooperation will be a problem. If you can convince people to walk the streets for good food, it's a big plus for the neighborhood.